Sponsored by:

991.2 gts brake pad options

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:33 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
I have a 2009 Boxster that I track regularly. Not sure how much of a DIY you are but suggest you seriously consider Tarett brake caliper studs. Get the stud kit for the brake line brackets also. You will have to unbolt the brake line bracket to give enough line flex to lift the caliper off of the stud. You have the upgraded brake caliper with the center brace which requires you remove the calipers to replace pads. The steel brake caliper bolts into the aluminum knuckle are too easily stripped. Cup cars have studs. I use Hawk DTC-60s on a dedicated track rotor for the front and OEM on the back. Boxsters don't use as much rear brake so the OEM pads work fine and last. Pagid has great pads, but as groundhog indicated they will squeak and make much more dust. My Hawks squeak loudly the last few feet of a street stop. I think all track pads will squeak. Porsche OEM pads have built in silencers and obviously a different compound. I just bought Hawk street pads to try in between track events to try and eliminate street squeak. I don't have the reinforce calipers so I can change pads (without the big silencer) without removing the caliper. If there is a track pad that does squeak I'd like to know. Track pad dust is corrosive so thoroughly clean the wheels right away. If you haven't yet invest in a good wheel wax especially if you get track pads. Again if you have not upgrade to a racing brake fluid like ATP 2. I suspect your brake fade is the OEM pads getting too hot, but boiling your brake fluid is a much bigger brake failure issue. The Potomac PCA requires brake flush every 3 months for OEM brake fluid and 6 months for racing brake fluid.
Great info! I am willing to accept some squeal just not lots of it. I dont mind swapping pads in general and changing things. My issue with DIY on this car is centerlock wheels and removing calipers to change pads even after that so will probably have it done somewhere. Searching around it looks like the RE10 pads dont squeal alot, but does not appear they are available for my car
Old 02-10-2019, 01:38 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
My stock "S" brake pads are dead quiet, which is a result of proper bedding.
My GTS's pads are squealing a little, now and then. I think it goes away once the brakes warm up some, though.

I don't have 100 miles on the car and it has been at or below freezing the whole time. Not sure if that affects these stock pads.

Do you have steel or carbon ceramic brakes? If steel, what procedure did you use to bed them?
Old 02-14-2019, 03:49 AM
Stryatch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JSETarga, I have steel rotors and have an awesome brake pad on my 991.2 GTS. Emotion Engineering has built a specific compound for the 991.2 GTS that you can live with on the street and are amazing on track. No noise (when they are really cold need to be aware and brake a little harder for the first 10 min on street) .
I too was searching for something for track use that you can DD with...it’s not easy to find for the GTS, because not a lot of people track that model (or there’s less of them in production) so less people have good pads for our specific model. I highly Recommend their pad. Fluids/pads is all I’ve done and have never had any issues. Very very good on track...no swapping necessary. The other thing is (I’m not affiliated with Emotion), if I can Get 5 people to buy them, we can get a group buy and receive a discount. It was a question I recently Asked because I needed New pads and I couldnt get them because it’s such a rare customer that asks for them...

Stryatch
Old 02-14-2019, 09:23 AM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Emotion pad sounds good! After extensive searching and calling places, I finally made a decision yesterday. The GT3 forum has great reviews for the RE-10 pad. I got a part number from Race Technologies and had that part confirmed by a dealer for them. I found 3 places to purchase them. All great places. BGB Motorsports, which has run these on their development GTS. Pulse Racing can get them as well. Lastly, I ended up ordering through Addicted Performance in my hometown, Maryville, TN. I took my car down there to get a 2nd opinion on reusing my rotors. I told them the pad I was going to order and they happened to be a dealer for Race Technologies. I just ordered yesterday, so cant give any feedback, but I will once I get them put on.

Last edited by JSETarga; 02-14-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:00 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Stryatch
JSETarga, I have steel rotors and have an awesome brake pad on my 991.2 GTS. Emotion Engineering has built a specific compound for the 991.2 GTS that you can live with on the street and are amazing on track. No noise (when they are really cold need to be aware and brake a little harder for the first 10 min on street) .
I too was searching for something for track use that you can DD with...it’s not easy to find for the GTS, because not a lot of people track that model (or there’s less of them in production) so less people have good pads for our specific model. I highly Recommend their pad. Fluids/pads is all I’ve done and have never had any issues. Very very good on track...no swapping necessary. The other thing is (I’m not affiliated with Emotion), if I can Get 5 people to buy them, we can get a group buy and receive a discount. It was a question I recently Asked because I needed New pads and I couldnt get them because it’s such a rare customer that asks for them...

Stryatch
I'm interested in a group buy, what's the price (RE-10's are the alternative). Did E-Motion work on your car, if so how did the track mods work?
Old 02-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Stryatch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Emotion did do the work on my car. Very minimal yet effective work though. Car is very capable on track....Techart springs/GT3 front control arms/radius arms (extending the from track 9 millimeters each side (really helps with turn in) and an alignment/corner balance.

Front and rear pads: 5 sets/950 and 10 sets/850 from Emotion. Normally 1100 for a set.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:14 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

^
Looks Great!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:56 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
ground hog and 4 point 0,

Have you swapped rotors or just use stock ones? My fronts are trash so if I am going to upgrade those now would be my chance. Thanks!
I am still on stock rotors. The Yellows are in front. Just doing that made a huge difference. The car pulls up now. After a spirited run, I have found out the rears are on metal. So the original pads wore the rear just as fast as the front.
Yellows on the way for the rears as well. I also ordered braided lines (6 line kit) from BGB.
Once the yellows are finished, that would be the end of the stock rotors as well, so I will do a full BBK after that. Most likely Brembo GTS.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:46 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stryatch

Stryatch
Anyone else interested in a group buy? I talked to Joey at E-Motion Engineering and he has GT3 track guys that love the pads, and has those available. But the rears don't fit the S/GTS calipers. So have to be specially made to order with his compound.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 PM
CraigW1
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fsmich
Anyone else interested in a group buy? I talked to Joey at E-Motion Engineering and he has GT3 track guys that love the pads, and has those available. But the rears don't fit the S/GTS calipers. So have to be specially made to order with his compound.
I would be interested in one set.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

My needs are slightly different. My stock brakes will squeal too, because i don't do a lot of heavy baking - i like downshifting and engine braking. A track day cures that, but i get very few of them. So i found my solution is a nice long uphill exit ramp near here. Please know that they don't post speed limits on Interstate exit ramps - they only use yellow signs with advisory speeds. So about once a week i get a "green light" coming up that ramp when traffic is very light, and i hit it from about 75 up to around 125 or so, then hit the brakes hard while downshifting for the stoplight or sharp left handed at the end of that exit ramp. That silences my stock brakes for a week or so.

But it's the brake dust on my wheels that bothers me. My Gloss Black wheels quickly look dirty after cleaning. I want less brake dust, but also don't want squealing like a train stopping all the time. It's there a pad for my stock rotors that will work well with my stock rotors and also minimize dusting?

Quick Reply: 991.2 gts brake pad options