Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low navigation volume (991.2, CarPlay)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:11 AM
ChezTX
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low navigation volume (991.2, CarPlay)

Recently picked up a CPO 2017 C4S but am having an issue with the PCM navigation volume.

I have carplay and believe it’s PCM 4.0?

When using the Porsche navigation I can barely hear instructions when driving slowly with the windows closed. If the windows are open, I’m driving fast or music is playing it’s almost impossible to hear.

I could use use google maps via carplay, but I like that I can get navigation info on the multi-function display using the PCM navigation.

I have the menu setting turned up to 11 and have tried turning the volume **** when an instruction is being spoken, without success.

I tried searching and found sinilar threads, but most are for older PCM and suggest that the volume **** is the answer which doesn’t seem to be the case.

Any help appreciated!!

Old 02-09-2019, 06:02 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

when you set your menu button to 11 did you save it?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:22 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

While the navigation system is actively speaking adjust the volume on your steering wheel. That will set it for future commands.
I see you said you tried that with the volume ****. Did you use there one on the wheel? Works on mine.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:07 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

So just to confirm which specific settings you have updated:

On the PCM, press Home, then Opt, then Set Sound, then Volume, then Navigation Guidance and adjust it there. It should call out something so that you can hear the resulting volume as you change it. Even then I don't think it is terribly loud. Since you said you have it set to 11 this is probably the one you used since that is the max I saw there.

If that doesn't help I don't know if disabling/enabling Speed Dependent Volume will help with navigation volume or not, but it is worth a shot.

Finally, if you have the Bose, it's possible that setting the Audio Pilot option (also under Set Sound -> Bose) may help since that adapts volume to the noise level in the cabin. I also don't know if this has any effect on the navigation volume though... but if all else fails it might be worth a try.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:49 PM
ChezTX
6th Gear

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
when you set your menu button to 11 did you save it?
Yes, to both M1 and my key.

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
While the navigation system is actively speaking adjust the volume on your steering wheel. That will set it for future commands.
I see you said you tried that with the volume ****. Did you use there one on the wheel? Works on mine.
I have the GT wheel without controls.

Originally Posted by StormRune
So just to confirm which specific settings you have updated:

On the PCM, press Home, then Opt, then Set Sound, then Volume, then Navigation Guidance and adjust it there. It should call out something so that you can hear the resulting volume as you change it. Even then I don't think it is terribly loud. Since you said you have it set to 11 this is probably the one you used since that is the max I saw there.

If that doesn't help I don't know if disabling/enabling Speed Dependent Volume will help with navigation volume or not, but it is worth a shot.

Finally, if you have the Bose, it's possible that setting the Audio Pilot option (also under Set Sound -> Bose) may help since that adapts volume to the noise level in the cabin. I also don't know if this has any effect on the navigation volume though... but if all else fails it might be worth a try.
That is the setting I set to 11. I do have bose and have tried auto pilot on and off.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:56 AM
ChezTX
6th Gear

Well, I popped into the local dealer today, they took a look and couldn’t work out how to get the volume higher either.

Do those of you with the newer carplay PCM find the Porsche navigation volume loud enough when driving with music on?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:07 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Never an issue with mine. 991.2 GTS 2018.
Isn’t there a volume setting in the nav menu options? I’ll see if I can play with mine again and find out.

Quick Reply: Low navigation volume (991.2, CarPlay)