Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-thinking LWBS vs Sport Plus (countdown to T order lock-down)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Re-thinking LWBS vs Sport Plus (countdown to T order lock-down)...

Another quick question before I lock down my T order - Seats.

I've got the LWBS in my Gen-1 Spyder and LOVE them, once I am in them. It's unfair to say that I don't go to this car as a DD because for many reasons it's just not that car but part of it is the excercise of getting in and out. Once you're in them, and up in the hills and canyons? Watch out. Epic.

But a Carrera T, with my intent to drive it daily (or at least semi-daily), I having some second thoughts about ordering LWBS. Yes they're GT3 cool as heck and fit very well, and would be part of the "perfect drivers car" etc... but there's 1. no heat option for winter (I live in a semi-cold area and use the heated seats a bit in my other cars), 2. tougher to get into and out of, 3. much reduced access to the back seats, of which no one would really sit in there but I do occasionally use the back hook to hang a nice sport jack or put a bag of groceries on the floor.

So what's the verdict guys? Those of you that have the LWBS have any frustrations, any regrets, and back-off on driving your T daily? Access to back area over-rated?

For those that don't have them, any wishe you'd ponied up?

Thanks in advance. Count-down to lock-down 14days...

Last edited by Zeus993; 02-08-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:47 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

You're in a great position to decide since you own a car w/ the full buckets.

I think utility says not to get them:
- Access to the back
- Ease of getting in and out
- Cost

I think heart says to get them:
- They feel awesome (if you fit in them)
- They look completely awesome
- The custom insert options are pretty cool

If I was on the fence, I'd get them. They fit me well and I like the connectedness they create for my driving experience.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

I agree with your assessment. I would not get the buckets if intended use of the T is more routine/DD use. If the T is a weekend-only, or track car, then I'd get them. I think you lose too much in utility, comfort, and ease of access to have them in a routine-use street car. They do look awesome though!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

The touring aspect of the T is cool with the 4 ways. The fabric centers with stripe pattern of your choice if you get the T interior looks great.

I am not a fan of buckets on a street car.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:59 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

I have FBs. I would not change them out for anything as they are the best seats for the type of driving I do and extremely comfortable for me. But based on what you have said, and since you have some in your other car and know best, I think Sports are your best bet. You won't regret getting FBs, but then you'll have to modify how you use the T. You shouldn't have to do that. Go with what you think is best for you. Good luck!

S
Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

I love the buckets in my wife's GT4. With that said, if I were buying the softer "T" vs something like a GT4 or Spyder (with buckets), then I would get the sport seats. If you aren't going to use the rear for seating (which is the case with the buckets), then why even get the "T"? It is a nice car, but it is no 981 Spyder or GT4. The ONLY reason we considered keeping our C2S over our GT4 was the need for rear seats and kiddos being able to come along. Both are my wife's cars, and if you were to ask her, the GT4 is the special one (and the one she decided to keep). She was originally shopping for a "T", drove one, liked it, then drove the GT4; the GT4 was in the driveway 30 minutes later. She eventually snapped up a performance build 991.1 C2S as well, but it doesn't get driven much, so we are putting it up for sale.

Still, the C2S is a great tourer and all-around sporty car, and like the above posters noted, perfect for sport seats. The "T" has the same options and the same suspension. It is a comfortable long-distance car with a ton of performance. The level of engagement isn't anywhere close to par with the GT4, especially one equipped with buckets though, so the softer seats just suit the softer Carrera better.

I like the idea of buckets in the "T" if it weren't for the loss of back seats; upgrade the suspension and you can really dial in the car for more performance and more road-feel. But, with the loss of back seats, the GT4 gets the nod. So yeah, if you need those back seats, the T is a great choice. If not, get a 981 GT4-Spyder! It is simply a more engaging car.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

If I were speccing a T, I'd go with 4-ways with the T interior package. No leather, no Bose, no PCCBs. Just sport wheels and RWS. JMHO, of course.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
If I were speccing a T, I'd go with 4-ways with the T interior package. No leather, no Bose, no PCCBs. Just sport wheels and RWS. JMHO, of course.
Close to agreeing except I'd skip the interior package and sport wheels (both purely aesthetic) and put the money toward PCCBs (enormous upgrade over standard base brakes).
Old 02-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Kids-> 4ways
no kids-> buckets
u cant get buckets on other carreras
Old 02-08-2019, 02:54 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Kids-> 4ways
no kids-> buckets
u cant get buckets on other carreras
kids -> buckets (leave kids elsewhere)
no kids -> buckets

basically always get buckets
Old 02-08-2019, 03:01 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

I say get the buckets. If you hate them for daily driving, you can always pickup a 14 way 991.1 Seat and use that for daily and use the LWB for track days. It's not hard to swap seats. This is assuming you KNOW you don't want back seat etc. But with this type of car I would personally go LWB's . Great decisions you have to make here
Old 02-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
kids -> buckets (leave kids elsewhere)
no kids -> buckets

basically always get buckets
Touche... its hard not specing buckets if theyre on the table
kids love the 911 btw... 2-10 years old sweet spot is quite the experience
Old 02-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

LOL. I have no kids, one Spyder already (second actually - don't ask) and am looking forward to the T!

This is GREAT insight guys. Thank you and keep it coming!

P.s. My build https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PKVA37B9

Old 02-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

4 ways are as close as youre gonna get to buckets. You just sink into those babies, but theyre not as aggressive as track seats.
If youre gonna track alot or drive like a maniac on off ramps all the time that should factor into your decision.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:24 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
LOL. I have no kids, one Spyder already (second actually - don't ask) and am looking forward to the T!

This is GREAT insight guys. Thank you and keep it coming!

P.s. My build https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PKVA37B9

Oh, wow! The T then makes a great addition to the quiver. I wouldn't get one over a Spyder unless I needed the back seats, but as another car, why not?!!!!

Quick Reply: Re-thinking LWBS vs Sport Plus (countdown to T order lock-down)...