Sponsored by:

Intermittent cylinder firing

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 PM
AKawasaki
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Intermittent cylinder firing

Today, on the way to work my ‘18 C4GTS just turned 2000 miles on the odometer. Within minutes of this break-in milestone, and exiting the highway, my car started engine break, shudder and then go into limp mode (could not go above 10 mph). In addition, I received error alerts for check engine, faulty all-wheel drive, no auto stop-start and no traction control. Drove in limp mode to the office, parked the car, waited 5 minutes and re-started tge car with no issue or error alerts.

Just came back from dealership. They confirmed an intermittent cylinder firing fault for one of the cylinder banks. No remediation other than to clear the error codes. They could not diagnose the cause and told me to monitor.

Anyone else experience this fault and if so, did it resolve itself, or did you have repairs completed? If the latter, what was done.

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:10 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,369 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Time to find a new dealership. They confirmed a misfire and simply cleared the codes and told you to drive away? Things on cars rarely heal themselves. One very common reason for a misfire error code is a bad coil pack, and they are inexpensive. Their scanner should have identified the cylinder with the misfire and they could have easily installed a new coil pack in a short period of time. In any case, sounds like a poor service department for a very expensive car.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Sounds like an electrical issue. The faulty all-wheel drive alerts don’t have anything to do with an engine misfire.

I would check the battery, connections, and ground straps.

Was it raining or snowing?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:57 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

That dealer needs to be reported to PCNA, assuming you're in the US. The coil packs are a very well-known problem at this point.

Quick Reply: Intermittent cylinder firing