Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The PCCB Debate Ended Once and for All

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I assume there is no real pad break in or bedding with ceramic pads? Even though my rotors/calipers were take-offs the pads were new. And while I was at the shop yesterday a Black 458 arrived on a flat bed for service and it had Yellow calipers - sweet.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

after all said and done, what was final cost to get ceramics done? cheaper or more expensive than customer ordering it at the outset?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
after all said and done, what was final cost to get ceramics done? cheaper or more expensive than customer ordering it at the outset?
If I had ordered them the option was about $8600. I paid about $11,700 for the rotors, pads & calipers, which included shipping from Germany. The extra parts that were needed cost about $900 and installation was $250 and I sold my take-offs for $3,000 and the buyer paid shipping. All in all I wound up paying about $1,000 more than if I had ordered so I am happy. According to one Porsche dealer the PCCB parts alone are over $30k.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

I probably clean my wheels 5-6 times a year (two times are when i swap to winters-summers). If i have the car for 4 years thats like $400 each time I wouldn’t have to clean them. F that.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I probably clean my wheels 5-6 times a year (two times are when i swap to winters-summers). If i have the car for 4 years thats like $400 each time I wouldn’t have to clean them. F that.
It’s not about having to clean the wheels.

If they where here the same price would you have steel or carbon ceramic?

You do realize you have friends that say you’re f’ing nuts to spend $150k in a Porsche when you can get a nice Lexus for $50k.

you have your own reason for wanting the performance of a Porsche.

Others have their own reason for wanting better performance from their brakes.

i love carbon ceramic brakes and will alway have them on a sports car.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
To each their own...they look better to me on the car and that is enough to justify the cost alone.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
It’s not about having to clean the wheels.

If they where here the same price would you have steel or carbon ceramic?

You do realize you have friends that say you’re f’ing nuts to spend $150k in a Porsche when you can get a nice Lexus for $50k.

you have your own reason for wanting the performance of a Porsche.

Others have their own reason for wanting better performance from their brakes.

i love carbon ceramic brakes and will alway have them on a sports car.
PCCB work and look awesome. No argument there. I would pay more than steels. Its definitely a personal cost/benefit analysis. However, the stock brakes with upgraded fluid and/or pads are pretty good. But not legendary like PCCB.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If I had ordered them the option was about $8600. I paid about $11,700 for the rotors, pads & calipers, which included shipping from Germany. The extra parts that were needed cost about $900 and installation was $250 and I sold my take-offs for $3,000 and the buyer paid shipping. All in all I wound up paying about $1,000 more than if I had ordered so I am happy. According to one Porsche dealer the PCCB parts alone are over $30k.
This is why PCCBs are the biggest bargain Porsche offers as an OEM option when ordering a new car.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:38 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the carbon ceramics on a Ferrari and loved them ... one thing I learned was that if they started to get noisy, a quick rinse of the caliper and rotor (on a cold rim) with just water would usually cure it, they do make a little carbon dust and that can cause the squeal.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

To each their own...they look better to me on the car and that is enough to justify the cost alone.
And the fact they work measurably better. The only downfall is worrying about someone rear ending you when you brake since obviously anyone following you can't stop as quick, including a Porsche with red brakes.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

I assume there is no real pad break in or bedding with ceramic pads? Even though my rotors/calipers were take-offs the pads were new. And while I was at the shop yesterday a Black 458 arrived on a flat bed for service and it had Yellow calipers - sweet.
I bedded mine and am quite happy with the results...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1060...l#post15525306

SS
Old 05-16-2019, 10:57 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

Someone needs to point me to the thread where everyone is complaining about their stock “red” brake performance. I’m not talking about the track rats, I’m talking about the majority of owners who drive their cars on the street. Reality: the stock “red” brakes are awesome. Come on, no one “needs” better braking performance on the street.

If you want yellow calipers and can justify the price so that your wheels stay clean, go for it, it’s your money. But I don’t buy the argument / justification that PCCB’s are need so that I can stop faster on the way to dinner.

DaveGee
Old 05-16-2019, 11:01 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

See Post #5, but you are correct in that the Red S brakes are better than most people need performance-wise.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:43 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Someone needs to point me to the thread where everyone is complaining about their stock “red” brake performance. I’m not talking about the track rats, I’m talking about the majority of owners who drive their cars on the street. Reality: the stock “red” brakes are awesome. Come on, no one “needs” better braking performance on the street.

If you want yellow calipers and can justify the price so that your wheels stay clean, go for it, it’s your money. But I don’t buy the argument / justification that PCCB’s are need so that I can stop faster on the way to dinner.

DaveGee
Yes porsche iron brakes are awesome and all one would need to stop on the street and so forth.

There are other benefits to PCCBs that some people prefer - longevity, brake feel and less brake dust...who cares what color the calipers are really as you say - paint them...

As with all consumers....you buy what you want - that $8 bottle of wine, the $30 or $300 bottle...sometimes you get what you pay for....with the PCCBs you get a few more features for the money....

Some people drive Chevys and done drive Porsches..marketing positioning gives us choices we can say yes or no to...
Old 05-31-2019, 10:33 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So I've been shopping for a 991.2 GTS for a few months as I wait for my 993 to sell. I put 9k miles on the 993 in 7 years, it was very much a weekend, nice-weather car. My plan for the GTS is to use it much more, as weekend car, a car I can take longer trips in, etc. It won't be a DD, but it will certainly be driven more than 1.5k miles per year, let's say 5-6k/year.

Living in VA, I have two excellent tracks within 2 hours of me, VIR and Dominion Raceway. I did an beginner-level track day at Dominion with my Golf R. It was an absolute blast and I now have the track day bug. Dominion is a tight layout with lots of braking zones. I've never been to VIR, but I know it's a much longer track with higher speeds.

I've been torn between PCCBs and steel brakes. Less brake dust means nothing to me, I like to wash my cars. My thoughts on the PCCBs are that they would be more effective on track, but higher risk if (when!) I go off into a gravel trap at VIR. Of course, with the better stopping power of the PCCBs, maybe I'm less likely to go off track, lol, With regard to the steel brakes, my thoughts are they are more than enough on the street and would work perfectly well on track. I have OEM Brembos on my 993 (not even the Big Reds of the Turbo/4S), and while 22 years old, they stop the admittedly much smaller 993 perfectly fine.

So given how I'd use the GTS - 5-6k miles per year on the street, handful of track days at VIR and Dominion - would you go with PCCBs or steel?

Quick Reply: The PCCB Debate Ended Once and for All