Notices
Sponsored by:

The PCCB Debate Ended Once and for All

Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Bob Z.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I assume there is no real pad break in or bedding with ceramic pads? Even though my rotors/calipers were take-offs the pads were new. And while I was at the shop yesterday a Black 458 arrived on a flat bed for service and it had Yellow calipers - sweet.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Porsche_nuts
Super User

after all said and done, what was final cost to get ceramics done? cheaper or more expensive than customer ordering it at the outset?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Bob Z.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts View Post
after all said and done, what was final cost to get ceramics done? cheaper or more expensive than customer ordering it at the outset?
If I had ordered them the option was about $8600. I paid about $11,700 for the rotors, pads & calipers, which included shipping from Germany. The extra parts that were needed cost about $900 and installation was $250 and I sold my take-offs for $3,000 and the buyer paid shipping. All in all I wound up paying about $1,000 more than if I had ordered so I am happy. According to one Porsche dealer the PCCB parts alone are over $30k.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Rennolazine
Addict
Rennlist Member

I probably clean my wheels 5-6 times a year (two times are when i swap to winters-summers). If i have the car for 4 years thats like $400 each time I wouldn’t have to clean them. F that.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM
good2go
User

Originally Posted by Rennolazine View Post
I probably clean my wheels 5-6 times a year (two times are when i swap to winters-summers). If i have the car for 4 years thats like $400 each time I wouldn’t have to clean them. F that.
It’s not about having to clean the wheels.

If they where here the same price would you have steel or carbon ceramic?

You do realize you have friends that say you’re f’ing nuts to spend $150k in a Porsche when you can get a nice Lexus for $50k.

you have your own reason for wanting the performance of a Porsche.

Others have their own reason for wanting better performance from their brakes.

i love carbon ceramic brakes and will alway have them on a sports car.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 PM
Bob Z.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine View Post
To each their own...they look better to me on the car and that is enough to justify the cost alone.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Rennolazine
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good2go View Post
It’s not about having to clean the wheels.

If they where here the same price would you have steel or carbon ceramic?

You do realize you have friends that say you’re f’ing nuts to spend $150k in a Porsche when you can get a nice Lexus for $50k.

you have your own reason for wanting the performance of a Porsche.

Others have their own reason for wanting better performance from their brakes.

i love carbon ceramic brakes and will alway have them on a sports car.
PCCB work and look awesome. No argument there. I would pay more than steels. Its definitely a personal cost/benefit analysis. However, the stock brakes with upgraded fluid and/or pads are pretty good. But not legendary like PCCB.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM
ipse dixit
Super User

Originally Posted by Bob Z. View Post
If I had ordered them the option was about $8600. I paid about $11,700 for the rotors, pads & calipers, which included shipping from Germany. The extra parts that were needed cost about $900 and installation was $250 and I sold my take-offs for $3,000 and the buyer paid shipping. All in all I wound up paying about $1,000 more than if I had ordered so I am happy. According to one Porsche dealer the PCCB parts alone are over $30k.
This is why PCCBs are the biggest bargain Porsche offers as an OEM option when ordering a new car.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:38 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the carbon ceramics on a Ferrari and loved them ... one thing I learned was that if they started to get noisy, a quick rinse of the caliper and rotor (on a cold rim) with just water would usually cure it, they do make a little carbon dust and that can cause the squeal.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 PM
MidEngineRules
User

To each their own...they look better to me on the car and that is enough to justify the cost alone.
And the fact they work measurably better. The only downfall is worrying about someone rear ending you when you brake since obviously anyone following you can't stop as quick, including a Porsche with red brakes.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 PM
S S
User

I assume there is no real pad break in or bedding with ceramic pads? Even though my rotors/calipers were take-offs the pads were new. And while I was at the shop yesterday a Black 458 arrived on a flat bed for service and it had Yellow calipers - sweet.
I bedded mine and am quite happy with the results...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1060...l#post15525306

SS
Old 05-16-2019, 10:57 AM
DaveGee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Someone needs to point me to the thread where everyone is complaining about their stock “red” brake performance. I’m not talking about the track rats, I’m talking about the majority of owners who drive their cars on the street. Reality: the stock “red” brakes are awesome. Come on, no one “needs” better braking performance on the street.

If you want yellow calipers and can justify the price so that your wheels stay clean, go for it, it’s your money. But I don’t buy the argument / justification that PCCB’s are need so that I can stop faster on the way to dinner.

DaveGee
Old 05-16-2019, 11:01 AM
Bob Z.
Addict
Rennlist Member

See Post #5, but you are correct in that the Red S brakes are better than most people need performance-wise.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:43 PM
abiazis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post
Someone needs to point me to the thread where everyone is complaining about their stock “red” brake performance. I’m not talking about the track rats, I’m talking about the majority of owners who drive their cars on the street. Reality: the stock “red” brakes are awesome. Come on, no one “needs” better braking performance on the street.

If you want yellow calipers and can justify the price so that your wheels stay clean, go for it, it’s your money. But I don’t buy the argument / justification that PCCB’s are need so that I can stop faster on the way to dinner.

DaveGee
Yes porsche iron brakes are awesome and all one would need to stop on the street and so forth.

There are other benefits to PCCBs that some people prefer - longevity, brake feel and less brake dust...who cares what color the calipers are really as you say - paint them...

As with all consumers....you buy what you want - that $8 bottle of wine, the $30 or $300 bottle...sometimes you get what you pay for....with the PCCBs you get a few more features for the money....

Some people drive Chevys and done drive Porsches..marketing positioning gives us choices we can say yes or no to...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: