Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exercising the 911 at 15 below

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:13 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, I don’t even drive my 911 if it rains. Have fun.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:31 AM
suban
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most fun I have behind the wheel is in the winter, these cars are built for it.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 AM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I was talking to my mailman today who grew up in Wisconsin. He said he decided to move the day it hit -16. He got in his car and the clock had stopped moving due to the cold. He hit the dash to try to get it going and the dash split. He now serves the Laguna Beach, CA route.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 293 Posts

trips - great picture
Old 02-12-2019, 03:34 PM
trips
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Glad to see you are having fun! Just wondering if you worry about hitting ice chunks falling out of vehicle wheel wells or frozen ruts while at speed? Does this pose as a potential hazard to the front end or rockers on these cars? From your experience, what is like out there? There are a lot of comments from arm-chair experts, but you sir are living the dream! Can you please share your exhilaration as well as your fears? My hat is off to you! You are the real deal.
Thanks! The car is amazing in the snow to be honest. Some thoughts...snow tires are a must and AWD is helpful but not mandatory. I always play it safe and keep a good distance from surround cars, like I would in any car. I've also spent some time getting a feel for the car over the past month in this weather so I know how much I can give and and how the car will respond. It can be very tail happy which is quite entertaining if you know what to expect. I picked up this car after the lease on my x5m came up and I was a little nervous about how it would do in the winter. So far its been amazing and no regrets! hope this helps. Best, Tom
Old 02-12-2019, 03:36 PM
trips
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:31 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
If you don't have to, why would you start any car in cold temps? That is the WORST time to start it! Brittle metals, all fluids are stiff and not effective in lubricating, etc. Put your curiosity aside and leave it alone! (unless you need it for transportation)
dont follow this advice unless you are really putting your car away for the winter. if you are just using a battery tender and not a) disconnecting batttery b) taking tire pressures down c) adding sta-bil to a full tank of gas, definitely take your car out, get it up to operating temp, etc. no matter the temp
Old 02-12-2019, 07:53 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

OP hard to tell the color of your Porsche under all the ice but I think it is green: beautiful!

Any trouble opening the doors when the windows are coated with ice like that? They do have to drop down a bit...

Anyone drive a convertible 991 in those temps ? Any issues with the top (up of course)?

(I'm thinking of adding a CPO 991.1 C4 cab to my 991.2 Coupe and use it in winter as well as top down summer.)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:58 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by trips
Negative 50 with windchill here in Chicago fellas...no problems at all! Stay warm everyone!

trips, fellow Chicagoan here. That’s how to do it. Rocking it.

Mind sharing the make/model of your roof box? Been looking at some. Thanks.

edit: looking at the attachment clasps, looks like a Thule branded one. Now which model?.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:44 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BlueNorther

Any trouble opening the doors when the windows are coated with ice like that? They do have to drop down a bit...
When coated in ice, the windows can't drop, so the motor just clicks off after a bit. At least I hope that's what its doing.
I keep the seals well coated in silicone spray but a return to door frames would be nice, though never going to happen with the cabs, targas and parts sharing. I do wonder how the 992 door handles will handle ice coatings.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
When coated in ice, the windows can't drop, so the motor just clicks off after a bit. At least I hope that's what its doing.
I keep the seals well coated in silicone spray but a return to door frames would be nice, though never going to happen with the cabs, targas and parts sharing. I do wonder how the 992 door handles will handle ice coatings.
Thx. I guess it could provide a unique excuse why I would have to work from home...

Quick Reply: Exercising the 911 at 15 below