Sponsored by:

need a little education in wheel size/fitment for my Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
Im sorry, for some reason I thought he had a 991.1 narrow body, which has an OEM rear wheel size of 20x11 ET70, so my answer to yes it fitting is due the fact that the ones he found were 20x11 ET60, which will only push out 10mm more than OEM, which the rear can handle. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
^ No worries, and no apology needed! And totally agree the 991.1 can not only handle that, but can greatly benefit from it!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Folks put spacers all the time, so you can go little wide
Factory wheels with 5mm spacers and Michelins work fine. Might get away with a smidge more with Pirellis.

But 10-15mm on the back of a 991.2 NB, whether by offset or spacer? Bad idea, my view. And this from having tried it with wheels and tires mounted up.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:47 AM
Nathing32
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stumil
Because I have rear axle steering on my T, I think I'm limited to 20" wheels only. According to Porsche 19's are not an option.
I hadn’t heard that before. Do you have PCCBs as well?

OZ makes a few different 20” wheels that match up pretty well. A set would be around $2400. The rears all look to have 6mm less offset than OEM but that should still work as long as you don’t go wider on the tires (bad for snow anyway). Speaking of which - will you be driving in snow? 20” winter tires are $$$. 19” are less expensive and there are more options. If you aren’t driving in snow or ice you could just go with all seasons.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathing32

I hadn’t heard that before. Do you have PCCBs as well?

OZ makes a few different 20” wheels that match up pretty well. A set would be around $2400. The rears all look to have 6mm less offset than OEM but that should still work as long as you don’t go wider on the tires (bad for snow anyway). Speaking of which - will you be driving in snow? 20” winter tires are $$$. 19” are less expensive and there are more options. If you aren’t driving in snow or ice you could just go with all seasons.
No PCCBs. And no, I really don't drive on snow that often, I'm mostly just trying to use my car all year long which includes driving in temps below 40 (like today in NJ).
Old 02-01-2019, 09:21 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 248 Posts

Did you check Tire Rack? I just plugged in the Carrera T and they show 24 different wheel sets for the car.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:17 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I've pre-filled this search for you for the rear wheels (you can change the numbers using any other wheels you find): willtheyfit.com

Here's the summary: "Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 22.4mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 9.7mm more than before."

It's my understanding that you ideally don't want winter wheels that stick out more than OEM. With the aggressive fitment used on the 991.2 rear wheels, I'd expect these will jut out past the fender edge by several mm. As to whether that is acceptable is your call of course. The fronts are fine.

Still learning tire fitment for winter; am I on the right track here for my rear wheels/tires? My 2019 991.2 Carrera T came with the following summer wheel/tire sizes on the rear:

11.5 J 20 ET 76
305 / 30 ZR 20

I have found a set of wheels with these dimensions:

11 x 20 ET 70

According to willtheyfit.com, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 8mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 8mm more than before.

Since this set of wheels is for winter use, if I drop down to a 295/30 R20 (rather than the 305's that are currently on the car) then the wheel will poke out 8mm more than before but the tire will be 10mm more narrow overall. Won't only 1/2 of that (5mm) be visible so net-net the tire will only stick out 3mm than what Porsche recommends specs for their winter wheels/tires?

The Porsche factory winter wheels/tires are:
11J x 20 RO 78
295/30 R 20

I think that this is pretty close to a perfect fit. Does this make sense?

Quick Reply: need a little education in wheel size/fitment for my Carrera T