Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Power Steering Plus - Should I get it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020 | 09:41 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OTM
I didn’t notice any difference over 40 and honestly didn’t notice very much at parking lot speeds. Standard steering is very high boost without PSP. Have no idea why anyone wants this option. It seems to be one of the rare options that I’ve heard of way more people paying to remove vs number of people adding later...which is also easily done.
It is not intended to work at anything other than very slow speeds so once moving along there is no advantage to PSP.
Old 01-23-2020 | 12:18 PM
PorscheRS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I...A lot of people just repeat the negatives that others say about it but until you have driven with and without I do not see how someone can give an opinion.
You couldn't be more right about this - especially when it comes to something like the IMS bearing. It's amazing how many experts there are on the subject...who don't know what IMS stands for, or what it even is. People love to be the one who tells someone else something they didn't know - they think they're an expert and influence someones decision based on something they know nothing about. I've seen several people buy an IMS failure prone car, instead of an IMS failure prone car, because someone on Rennlist told them a 996 will blow up. If you don't know what a M96 and M97 engine is, if you don't know what shock loading the valve train means, or if you don't know the resultant effect of cold start oil contamination from fuel, you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the IMS - you're spreading "fake news".
Old 01-23-2020 | 01:44 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

I've driven both... Can't feel the difference. Way too many factors (tires, temps, pavement type, surface, etc).
Old 01-23-2020 | 02:47 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OTM
I didn’t notice any difference over 40 and honestly didn’t notice very much at parking lot speeds. Standard steering is very high boost without PSP. Have no idea why anyone wants this option. It seems to be one of the rare options that I’ve heard of way more people paying to remove vs number of people adding later...which is also easily done.
Just so folks are interpreting my question correct, I'm interested to know if the steering W/O PSP feels more precise/better at higher speeds.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
It is not intended to work at anything other than very slow speeds so once moving along there is no advantage to PSP.
I know it's not intended to provide assistance as speeds increase but wonder if I were to have mine coded out, would it feel better at higher speeds?
Even when this software is inactive/suppressed, it may still have some impact on the feel.

Originally Posted by PorscheRS
When Porsche went to electric steering in the 991, road feel was definitely reduced. In my opinion, the purity that was lost in connection to the road is made up for in the increased precision of the steering. However, PSP destroys that trade-off equation. It feels completely disconnected, inorganic, and, IMO, destroys the car. In Porsche's configurator it's listed under the "Performance" options heading, and I have no clue why. A lot of people think that means it has a performance benefit, and unfortunately a lot of salespeople don't really understand what it is so they don't properly inform clients on what it is. In short, all that PSP really does is soften the steering - think Buick type feel. With, or without PSP, if you have sport chrono, and have the Sport+ button activated, one of the things that happens is the steering becomes more direct. On a 911 with PSP and sport chrono, even that is still too soft. It just doesn't feel "right" for the car - it's artificial and turn-in is not precise or constant; in a way it's slightly unpredictable. I feel like it almost induces understeer. If someone can make a performance argument for it to me, I'm always open to the possibility that I'm wrong, and I'm all ears.
Appreciate your insight, my 2wd 996 turbo and a friends 997S both have more communicative steering than my 991S with PSP, PDCC, and Chrono, Like you point out, in Sport+ mode things feel better but I use manual mode then to high RPM downshifts when not in full attack mode.
Do you know if the steering feel on my spec car would actually improve by coding out PSP?
Thanks!

Old 01-23-2020 | 02:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

There is no effect at higher speeds, which means "feel" as well. It is only intended to make low speed turning, such as under 10mph, more easy, period.
Old 01-25-2020 | 04:07 PM
rwschill
Advanced

I have owned 3 911’s with and without PSP. Not a big deal either way but if ordering a new car I would buy it.
Old 01-25-2020 | 07:28 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

I had a 2013 C2 for 4 months without PSP, and it got totaled so I replaced with exact same model but this one has PSP.

Apart from slightly lighter steering at parking speeds I cannot tell the difference at all, so I see no reason to have it coded out.

Both cars have excellent steering feel in my opinion, especially considering it’s electric power steering.

Old 01-28-2020 | 06:18 AM
spraguedawley
Racer

I had it on my 2015 TTS and paid to have it disabled. I was very happy I did that.
Old 01-28-2020 | 06:54 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Originally Posted by PorscheRS

As I tell anyone ordering a 911 - it's your car and unless it yellow with a red interior, there is no right or wrong way to build it - what I like isn't necessarily what you like and that's ok - but please don't order the car with PSP. If I was the GM I would have a rule that no 911 better show up on the lot as a car for stock (non-client order) with PSP.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Whats wrong with yellow and red? I think it worked better with speed yellow than racing yellow.
Old 01-29-2020 | 11:12 AM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
Whats wrong with yellow and red? I think it worked better with speed yellow than racing yellow.
Maybe cause this is what comes to mind?

Quick Reply: 991.1 Power Steering Plus - Should I get it???