Sponsored by:

911 as a Weekend Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:29 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
“I'll say this - the GT3 is far, far more exciting BUT it's equally less convenient. I miss keyless entry, push button start, parking sensors, etc. I wouldn't want to DD the GT3 but it's easy enough to drive that I've found myself using it more than I expected. I'm thrilled with the "upgrade".”

Of the reasons why it may be a challenge to daily, those three things would not have even occurred to me. Turning the key is not so bad and the standard rear view camera is good enough for parking.

The only real challenges are the ground clearance (annoying but doable with FAL), noise level (not too bad), suspension firmness (fine by me), and Cup2/sport maxx tires (untenable for me as a daily so I got a second set of wheels with all season tires, but 4S would probably work fine).
Agree with all your points there. I love the sound in my GT3, and I replaced the Sport Maxx with 4S at delivery. GT3 is really special.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:01 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 422 Posts

Have you driven one? Did it feel special? Curiosity answered.

Damn Nanny State.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:27 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa
Ultimately, I'd like to grab a sports car that feels special every time I sit in it.
Then you need to pay attention to the color. The exterior color.

More than horsepower, more than whether or not the decal says GT or S, it's the color.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:00 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

It’s like what someone else mentioned on here already, it’s up to you. Having a Panamera already, you should hop into a 911 and test drive one. See how different the car will feel to you. Then, determine the kind of driving experience you are looking for. You have a turbo already. Do you want another turbo charged car, or a NA engine(GT3)? Then, how much of a presence do you want? No one will ever miss a GT3 going by, but a a GTS or S, has a subdued presence about it. Then, all of the small things that makes each model unique. I think that’ll help you determine which one is “special”. It’s when you sit in it, and think about those small things, that specific model has, will keep that smile going. My 911, is my wekender, and summer only vehicle. For me, my NA Carrera S, is exactly what I was looking for, and a 911 has always been a dream of mine. I will add, that I do enjoy driving my S5 around for my daily, as the turbo engine keeps it fun, and when I switch cars and get into the 911, the driving characteristics and power delivery is so different, and you really appreciate what the 911 offers. When I’m looking for complete thrills and obnoxious noises and power, my Hellcat delivers on that. Best of luck to you and your choice. It WONT be the wrong one.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:38 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I went through a similar exercise over the past 9 months considering a GT3, GTS, and C2S model. My heart was set on a specific model of the 3 but was turned around after driving an example of each. To my surprise, I ended up not buying the model I thought I wanted.

Just some prioritized points from a guy who just bought his first and only 911...
  1. After the newness wears off, is this the model that you will still enjoy driving?
  2. Is it different enough where it will always be a treat when you get behind the wheel?
  3. Is there passion for the model you are about to buy or are you buying it because of outside influences?
Enjoy the chase for your new 911! Let us know what you end up buying.

Last edited by Thor's; 01-31-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 911 as a Weekend Car?