Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK drivers: using neutral in manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

I don't believe whatever you've heard about creeping being a problem for the PDK is true. It was probably just someone assuming it must be the case based upon old-style clutch thinking.

If slipping the clutches is a concern for you, let me really cause you to worry: In the 991.2 PDK, the concept of "virtual gears" is used. The car will purposely slip the clutch to achieve an in-between gear at cruising speeds (it was also in the earlier Turbo model 991s). If the car can do this for prolonged periods at speed, a little creeping isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:19 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I didn’t know you could do this, I have a 991.2 s coming in with pdk.

So if I pull both paddles neutral is engaged and the car could creep back on an incline? Do I need to hold both paddles or how to re engage 1st gear?

I am used to the dct on my m3 which is basically in neutral stopped and will roll back if the brake is released. I enjoy that because I find the car acts more like a manual without the clutch pedal and is engaging to drive.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:09 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
I didn’t know you could do this, I have a 991.2 s coming in with pdk.

So if I pull both paddles neutral is engaged and the car could creep back on an incline? Do I need to hold both paddles or how to re engage 1st gear?

I am used to the dct on my m3 which is basically in neutral stopped and will roll back if the brake is released. I enjoy that because I find the car acts more like a manual without the clutch pedal and is engaging to drive.
no need to hold the paddles. you just click both paddles together and the car will go into neutral. to get back into gear while moving, just shift up or down and it will put you in the right gear. when completely stopped foot must be touching the brake for the car to get into gear.

have fun!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:12 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by StormRune
I don't believe whatever you've heard about creeping being a problem for the PDK is true. It was probably just someone assuming it must be the case based upon old-style clutch thinking.

If slipping the clutches is a concern for you, let me really cause you to worry: In the 991.2 PDK, the concept of "virtual gears" is used. The car will purposely slip the clutch to achieve an in-between gear at cruising speeds (it was also in the earlier Turbo model 991s). If the car can do this for prolonged periods at speed, a little creeping isn't going to hurt anything.
wow thats very interesting. thanks for the input. well good news that creeping wont cause any longterm damage. now i just use neutral regularly as part of my manual shifting arsenal. I love PDK because it really is a good proper substitute for manual transmission, but I still miss driving manual and being able to coast in and out of neutral like one can in a manual car really has made my 911 even more fun to drive these days.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:24 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I will creep and coast to my hearts content without worry. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:05 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

I tried this before and did not work...I think I was told it was with gt3 only.
just went for a drive and tried again and it works....nice to put into neutral and blip throttle under a bridge..lol
Old 01-29-2019, 04:45 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIKES
just went for a drive and tried again and it works....nice to put into neutral and blip throttle under a bridge..lol
Yes - I think it's 991.2 only. With the 991.1 it only worked for the GT cars. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 01-29-2019, 04:55 PM
alainpp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It also works with the 991.1. In my case as soon as you press the gas pedal, it will get into gear, it won't stay in neutral.

Also, this only works (at least on my C2S 991.1) if you have the Auto start/stop active and in non-sport mode. So I never use it.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:39 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It works on my 991.1, but I haven't tried while driving and blipping the throttle in a tunnel. Love the idea.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:49 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIKES
GT cars (w/PDK) automatically go into neutral when stopped, there is no need to engage it with paddles.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
GT cars (w/PDK) automatically go into neutral when stopped, there is no need to engage it with paddles.
it’s more about being able to utilize neutral during motion than when stopped. Try it it’s fun
Old 01-30-2019, 12:31 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

Mine only does this in Sport or Sport+
The "0" mode is a no go. Wish I could delete it!

Quick Reply: PDK drivers: using neutral in manual mode