Sponsored by:

Carrera 991.1 Re-CPO-the costs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 03:42 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Carrera 991.1 Re-CPO-the costs?

Had my car in for its 30k service and inspection prior to the expiration of my CPO at the end of the month and was quoted a few interesting things which they said needed to be done prior to possibly a full CPO inspection and re-certification of the car. One of the most interesting costs was $437.71 for a new battery as mine failed performance tests and $478.90 to replace spark plugs based on engine time/mileage (4yrs I guess). Then there was the $1274.44 for four new N rated Porsche tires (assume Pirelli's P Zeros again here) since my 4 current P Zeros were all over 6 yrs old from manufacture plus an added $127.27 charge to replace the Porsche Tire sealant..also over 4 yrs old. I found interesting as well the $403 to clean the radiator inlets which they said were "full of debris." Then I could pay the cost for a CPO inspection at which time I was told the vehicle would have to be purchased by the dealer and then resold to me since PCNA is not allowed to CPO cars that are not owned by them. Am sure an alternative would be an aftermarket warranty such as Fidelity Platinum warranty offer from them as well AFTER the CPO expires since I believe those are mostly straight profit to the dealership! Strangely enough the service was two weeks ago and still no contact from my SA on the re-CPO since Service says the SA folks handle that part of a re-CPO.

Hmm?? I may just leave it out of warranty as it otherwise got a clean bill of health and has only 29k on the odometer. So looks like I have a to do list IF I keep the car...a 991.2 GTS would be nice but after seeing the 992...I'll pass I think. But $437 for a battery? Wow! Seems a bit insane!
Old 01-27-2019, 04:48 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Go buy a battery, some tires, do the plugs yourself, sealant is a VW/Audi part too and clean out the rads, then take it back for CPO.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:53 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You're lucky they will even do it, my dealer wouldn't.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:17 AM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Go buy a battery, some tires, do the plugs yourself, sealant is a VW/Audi part too and clean out the rads, then take it back for CPO.

Agree Evil
Just returned from dealership as well and was quoted $690 for battery replacement and reprogram. Either order a porsche battery from Suncoast at $300, or go to the interstate battery store and buy a direct replacement at $200. Same weight and size (AMG type) and put it in yourself. Extremely easy. Just did mine yesterday. Use a jump box or you battery tender to keep power to the car while changing out. As far as plugs, same advice. If you are good with wrenching the plug changes are not too terrible. Drivers side bank is little tough because the header is in in the way a tad but you can get around it. Check this post https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1043...reat-tool.html

The tire cost is actually very reasonable. Seriously, go to discount tire or tire rack and price the same tire setup..you'll see. I would not pay $400 to clean the radiator vents. That is also a DYI exercise.

Now, as far as reCPO'ing the car. I have no experience in that. But I would like to hear your experience when you get done if you go that route.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:28 AM
rp4
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On top of all that, how much are they charging for the certification inspection/warranty?

The tires seem like they need replacing soon anyways. The other stuff can probably last longer as is. Shop around for a Fidelity warranty too, and compare
Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default battery reprogram is a ripoff

battery reprogram is a straight up ripoff search here....there is a thread. Other items should be about 1/4 that cost reasonable. Bend over and reach in to clean out radiator ducts, great exercise. Check door panels if warping and dealer will cover under CPO worth doing as they are 6K. otherwise fidelity platinum 10/100 again search here for info.

Originally Posted by 2000se
Agree Evil
Just returned from dealership as well and was quoted $690 for battery replacement and reprogram. Either order a porsche battery from Suncoast at $300, or go to the interstate battery store and buy a direct replacement at $200. Same weight and size (AMG type) and put it in yourself. Extremely easy. Just did mine yesterday. Use a jump box or you battery tender to keep power to the car while changing out. As far as plugs, same advice. If you are good with wrenching the plug changes are not too terrible. Drivers side bank is little tough because the header is in in the way a tad but you can get around it. Check this post https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1043...reat-tool.html

The tire cost is actually very reasonable. Seriously, go to discount tire or tire rack and price the same tire setup..you'll see. I would not pay $400 to clean the radiator vents. That is also a DYI exercise.

Now, as far as reCPO'ing the car. I have no experience in that. But I would like to hear your experience when you get done if you go that route.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:30 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting... You can 're-CPO' a car? Anyone know how this is done and requirements?
Old 01-27-2019, 01:32 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Hah, took my very first Porsche in after 8 years and asked them to do a full health check on it, at a cost of £100. Was good value if you consider a 3 page report listing all and sundry wanted doing. Yep, the radiator grills needed dismantling and de-leafing, the little rods that control the headlights PDLS seized up to be replaced, all manner of rivets rusted and need replacing, exhaust bracket showed corrosion needed replacing, a rear spring was cracked, tyres over 6 years old (second set), tyre sealant over 4 years old. Loads more little stuff, total over £4K. Car was a 987 Boxster with 22K miles. Bought new in 2006 for £38K. Sold in 2014 for £13K. Got a 981, kept 3 years, got a 718, kept 2 years, now got a 991.2. No plans to ever get a health check!!!
Old 01-27-2019, 03:23 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Bingo. There is nothing special about these cars or what it needs.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:01 PM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Reading this looks like you’ll get dinged by the DMV again and need to pay sales tax too, as you won’t actually own the car while PCNA owns it in order for them to the resell it back to you and recert it as CPO.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

what is so special about getting re-cpo? by the time you get everything porsche makes you do before they will re-cpo it, you are better off just getting an extended warranty from fidelity or whomever.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:48 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by computertom
Reading this looks like you’ll get dinged by the DMV again and need to pay sales tax too, as you won’t actually own the car while PCNA owns it in order for them to the resell it back to you and recert it as CPO.
Sounds absolutely right.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:14 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

interesting

i also didn't know a car could be re-cpo'd - interesting that the dealer would offer it

i think plain jane 991's are fairly reliable if they come out of the factory without major gremlins, not worth the effort and cost to re-cpo if the car has not had major problems in the last few years of ownership

+1 on the sales tax issue if car has to be sold and re-bought to re-cpo
Old 01-27-2019, 09:09 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
what is so special about getting re-cpo? by the time you get everything porsche makes you do before they will re-cpo it, you are better off just getting an extended warranty from fidelity or whomever.
Yes the cost of Fidelity is probably about $3k at least for the Porsche (my '14 Range Rover Sport cost $5200 from Fidelity for a Platinum 3y/48k warranty however much less reliable vehicle). So yes that is an option. However I do wonder the feasbility of doing so...most of the cost of these aftermarket warranties go straight to the dealer as profit from companies such as Fidelity. Not so much for the Porsche CPO from what I understand and manufacturer backed is always better as they usually cover everything vs aftermarket ones which can be selective.
Originally Posted by minthral
Interesting... You can 're-CPO' a car? Anyone know how this is done and requirements?
Yes my SA says they CAN do it...not so much follow up on their willingness to do so. Have to get their service folks to do a full CPO inspection on it [on my dime] and then I also need to fix whatever they find (that bill was $3900 - the above items mostly); then they have an option to CPO it or not as well as omit certain items (for example mention was made of my aftermarket exhaust - Akrapovic, and CF mirrors - Techart, and wheels - Forgestar F14 NOT being covered or even could prevent a CPO approval by PCNA). Then as others have mentioned Porsche has to actually buy the car from me and then I buy it back which they said is a "simple transaction" and mostly paperwork as it must show Porsche as owning the car prior to PCNA accepting the CPO as written on the car. That part is less sure and absolutely no details of that transaction were or have been provided...tax and DMV registration among them!
Originally Posted by computertom
Yes as said that is my question and concern...taxes on selling it to them and buying it back at CPO even if just for the cost of the CPO itself for a $2-3k may still cause me a tax hit on the value of the car. Also vehicle is registered out of state so how does that work on my tags/title/registration?
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
interesting

i also didn't know a car could be re-cpo'd - interesting that the dealer would offer it

i think plain jane 991's are fairly reliable if they come out of the factory without major gremlins, not worth the effort and cost to re-cpo if the car has not had major problems in the last few years of ownership

+1 on the sales tax issue if car has to be sold and re-bought to re-cpo
Cars has had no issues really that we're not already addressed. Had the de-laminated doors done about 2 yrs ago and also added 3rd radiator and Sport Design front end and PSE re-wire along with an Akrapovic Ti exhaust all of which were done at by selling dealership. No issues at all. They did the 30k service and found no issues other than what they mentioned as pre-CPO fix it items. Plan to replace the tires anyway with Bridgetone or Michelin as am not a huge fan of P-Zeros and have my OEM Carrera Classic wheels plus their OEM Pirelli P-Zeros as spares so there are options tyre wise.

So agree there IS the thought to let it go out of warranty and fix any items as they come about as the car has been very reliable otherwise unless I can find a nice Carrera GTS that meets makes me an offer I cannot refuse! LOL Already found a good battery DITY

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1041...ent-diy-2.html

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 01-28-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:56 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I would be ware of a dealer, or Salesman, who is going to buy the car. I wouldnt think porsche would be involved with nonsense like that

Quick Reply: Carrera 991.1 Re-CPO-the costs?