991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Diminished value due to high miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019 | 08:03 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Remember, everyone has an opinion , there aren’t any right or wrong answers on this topic just do what makes you happy. I don’t view the 911 as an investment, it’s pure non-rational want, and it’s worth what it’s worth when I sell it, the journey is what’s important. If I was smarter with my money I would have just driven a used Prius and put all the 911 money into stocks, but life is short and what fun would that be, right.
Old 01-27-2019 | 08:04 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Originally Posted by minthral
Oh we totally disagree. But least I don't go name call.

- Most people don't 'spend 125k.' They have a down-payment and monthly payment. If you didn't pay to drive it, what did you pay for? Lust after driving it?

- Your 911 will be worth 60-70k after 4-5 years. Whats makes a difference is it takes hits on the road vs another car today or years from now?

- Its fine that you think your car is special, but realize that's just you. No one else around you cares - to them its just another car that's expensive. They would care less about how many miles, how much its worth, or how shiny it is in the garage. Trophy for you - just another car for the world.

- Hard to cut in front of a fast capable car and most people get out of your way (yes some do want to race too). Don't tale gate so you don't get hammer with debris. Even if it takes hits, are you really expecting a perfect road with zero specs of dirt?

- If you think highway miles are junk, what are NOT junk miles? 35 MPH city zones with stop lights? Roll around the suburbs? These cars are best in twisty highways...

- A car is a tool because it transports. If you're alone and want nice transportation to get to work or run errands, a 2 seater sports car is the right tool. Its not the right tool if it doesn't have appropriate clearance (offload, snow storm, slopes, bumps, etc), can't handle whats asked for it (tow, haul), lack of space (carry 4 people or a lots of luggage), loud, tiring, or uncomfortable over time, gas inefficient for long trip etc. Whats NOT the right tool for commuting is a large SUV. A 2 seater luxury sports car is the ultimate commute tool. I bought mine for the vary reason. I have 1 hr commutes and taking the SUV is frustrating and boring due to poor handling (dread it), but driving the 911 is something I look forward to. It handles winding roads, lets you pass people, and do everything with ease.

- Buying a depreciating asset and being afraid to consume it is being an idiot with their money. Accepting its worthless and NOT an investment is being smart with your money (and knowing you can afford it). Fact is buying it was being stupid with your money and that decision was already made. Whats even more stupid is thinking about making sure it depreciates less so you can sell it after peak depreciation (1-5 years). A smart person buys a car, knows its a loss, but plans to keep it a while... they don't care or consider depreciation because they aren't selling... its the dummy who trades cars every few years that does that.

- No 'decent' secondary 'commuter vehicle' will save you money instead of putting additional mileage on a 911. Math doesn't work after you consider cost of ownership. Even when driving a 100k 911. Maybe a 250k mclaren math works better.

- Not sure exactly what a road warrior is, but a car well cared for and driven looks great. Mine has 23k miles on it and looks as new...looked as new when original owner put 12k miles on it after about a year. If you're seriously worried your car will melt in the rain or tiny pebble will make hole in it...well I can't help you. I promise car will be fine if you drive it.
I wasn’t name calling, nor did I point you out or any other individual.....you did that on your own with your reply. As I said before.......to each their own! My position stands as may yours.....happy now?
Old 01-27-2019 | 08:57 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frosty914
Use your mileage allowance to buy a sorted 996 (maybe $25K?) that you can DD, take to the track, enter Paris Dakar, etc... then you can still choose to drive the GTS on nice days, the occasional road trip or just backroads on the weekend without the worry of mileage depreciation.
Then trade your low miles GTS for a GT car in a few years! Just my $.02
I daily a 996 and have for 2 years. Costs about $1,000/yr for maintenance and repairs, $770 for full coverage insurance, and the car is worth the same amount I bought it for .
Old 01-27-2019 | 09:11 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titan7
Remember, everyone has an opinion , there aren’t any right or wrong answers on this topic just do what makes you happy. I don’t view the 911 as an investment, it’s pure non-rational want, and it’s worth what it’s worth when I sell it, the journey is what’s important. If I was smarter with my money I would have just driven a used Prius and put all the 911 money into stocks, but life is short and what fun would that be, right.
+1
Old 01-27-2019 | 09:34 PM
blurum
Instructor

Lease a Macan GTS or turbo with the stipend and problem solved. Split the drive time with any ratio u want and you will enjoy both cars
Old 01-27-2019 | 09:54 PM
AKawasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBARacing
I have a situation that I’m trying to figure out.
Bought a new 2018 991.2 GTS last Mar. had it for almost a year now and I’m st 5K miles.
I took in this new position at work that requires me to drive about 500 miles a week, so 20k miles a year work related, before weekend fun.
So I figured I’m at about 25K a year.
I get 1$ per mile as an expense so I would get about $20K net a year.

should I keep driving my dream car every day and put the excessive mileage on it, knowing that the extra $ I loose on it I’ll get from the reimbursement at work? Or do I get an ok C300 and use that as my high mileage commuter and use my 911 for spacial events and weekends.

Now my question is,
Can anyone guesstimate what the $ hit would be for that extra excessive mileage after 2 years?
would the reimbursement I would get cover the diminished value?

Thanks,

After a year of having a 5 mile (10 minute) round trip commute between home and work for a year with my 2018 c4gts in MD, I was forced to relocate due to company shutdown to CA for a 45 mile round trip drive.

I was contemplating acquiring a cheap vehicle to take on the miles. But, my wife reminded me that I bought the c4gts to drive and keep. So why worry about the mileage and depreciation. The 911 is my daily driver and is compiling the miles. However, after a long trying day of work and having a 22.5 mile/60 minute drive home, my c4gts reminds me life is good, life could be a lot worse and I have a smile on my face.

Enjoy the car while using it to make you smile during your daily life.
Old 01-27-2019 | 10:53 PM
Mountain_Smith
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frosty914
Use your mileage allowance to buy a sorted 996 (maybe $25K?) that you can DD, take to the track, enter Paris Dakar, etc... then you can still choose to drive the GTS on nice days, the occasional road trip or just backroads on the weekend without the worry of mileage depreciation.
Then trade your low miles GTS for a GT car in a few years! Just my $.02
I daily drive my 911 without any mileage compensation. If I had someone stuffing money into my pocket to drive for work, this seems like pretty sound advice.
Old 01-27-2019 | 11:22 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

- Most people don't 'spend 125k.' They have a down-payment and monthly payment. If you didn't pay to drive it, what did you pay for? Lust after driving it?

- Your 911 will be worth 60-70k after 4-5 years. Whats makes a difference is it takes hits on the road vs another car today or years from now?

- Its fine that you think your car is special, but realize that's just you. No one else around you cares - to them its just another car that's expensive. They would care less about how many miles, how much its worth, or how shiny it is in the garage. Trophy for you - just another car for the world.

- Hard to cut in front of a fast capable car and most people get out of your way (yes some do want to race too). Don't tale gate so you don't get hammer with debris. Even if it takes hits, are you really expecting a perfect road with zero specs of dirt?

- If you think highway miles are junk, what are NOT junk miles? 35 MPH city zones with stop lights? Roll around the suburbs? These cars are best in twisty highways...

- A car is a tool because it transports. If you're alone and want nice transportation to get to work or run errands, a 2 seater sports car is the right tool. Its not the right tool if it doesn't have appropriate clearance (offload, snow storm, slopes, bumps, etc), can't handle whats asked for it (tow, haul), lack of space (carry 4 people or a lots of luggage), loud, tiring, or uncomfortable over time, gas inefficient for long trip etc. Whats NOT the right tool for commuting is a large SUV. A 2 seater luxury sports car is the ultimate commute tool. I bought mine for the vary reason. I have 1 hr commutes and taking the SUV is frustrating and boring due to poor handling (dread it), but driving the 911 is something I look forward to. It handles winding roads, lets you pass people, and do everything with ease.

- Buying a depreciating asset and being afraid to consume it is being an idiot with their money. Accepting its worthless and NOT an investment is being smart with your money (and knowing you can afford it). Fact is buying it was being stupid with your money and that decision was already made. Whats even more stupid is thinking about making sure it depreciates less so you can sell it after peak depreciation (1-5 years). A smart person buys a car, knows its a loss, but plans to keep it a while... they don't care or consider depreciation because they aren't selling... its the dummy who trades cars every few years that does that.

- No 'decent' secondary 'commuter vehicle' will save you money instead of putting additional mileage on a 911. Math doesn't work after you consider cost of ownership. Even when driving a 100k 911. Maybe a 250k mclaren math works better.

- Not sure exactly what a road warrior is, but a car well cared for and driven looks great. Mine has 23k miles on it and looks as new...looked as new when original owner put 12k miles on it after about a year. If you're seriously worried your car will melt in the rain or tiny pebble will make hole in it...well I can't help you. I promise car will be fine if you drive it.
^ Minthral speaks the word. Well said sir. All points.
Old 01-28-2019 | 08:12 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

I disagree with a few of your points.

- I sold my 997 in mint condition and got much more than expected BECAUSE of low mileage and condition. That's a fact... Read posts about people looking to buy a used car, low mileage is the #1 requirement. Dealers advertise cars as "wow... low mileage!" for a reason.
- Most people looking to buy a 911 are not looking to buy a transportation tool. They are looking to form a bond and connect with something that makes them feel special.
- A decent daily driver WILL save you money instead of putting additional mileage on a 911, even insurance companies agree, hence the question "how many miles do you drive a year?" when buying insurance. The more you drive it, the riskier it is. Tires and brakes for my X3 are way cheaper than the 991's. Same applies to windshields, routine maintenance, etc...
- Based on your points above a 993 should be worth nothing. We all know about 993's values.
Old 01-28-2019 | 02:25 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Drive the Porsche.

I assume you bought the car to drive it.

Never really understood this thing about depreciation. These cars are not investments, they depreciate. At the end of the day, you get what someone is willing to pay for it. If someone really wants it, they will pay more for it. With so many out there, you will get what the market will support.

If you have low miles on it, maybe you will get a little more. For me, I'd rather drive it and enjoy the hell out of it, even if it means I will get a little less with more fun miles on it.
+1!
Old 01-28-2019 | 04:10 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Meh...I have a standard 991.1 C2S 7MT with 62k miles, a fair number of track days. I am not saving it for the next owner. Funny thing is it could probably still fetch low 60's being a manual, white on black with good options. It's my only car so it is my tool for transportation, track days, canyon cruising, road trips, ski trips and bike hauler That's the beauty of the 911, it does so many things! Use it! unless you have some collector 911R or whatever, I can understand the reason for keeping those relatively low mileage.
Old 01-28-2019 | 06:51 PM
bliq00
Instructor

look at it another way- if you're driving it that much, in traffic, doing sales calls, etc, will it feel special every time you slip behind the wheel? To me, it wouldn't, so I drive my SUV to work everyday and save my 911 for weekends and special occasions. Everytime I get in the car, i feel like I'm lucky to be able to drive it. It's a matter of quality miles.
Old 01-28-2019 | 07:38 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Originally Posted by bliq00
look at it another way- if you're driving it that much, in traffic, doing sales calls, etc, will it feel special every time you slip behind the wheel? To me, it wouldn't, so I drive my SUV to work everyday and save my 911 for weekends and special occasions. Everytime I get in the car, i feel like I'm lucky to be able to drive it. It's a matter of quality miles.
+1
Old 01-28-2019 | 10:43 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard... People need to stop making comments like this. It sounds ignorant.

Women are not objects, they don't depreciate. Most mentally sane men can differentiate the emotional attachment of a car from a person.

Some owners choose to drive their cars everyday, some don't. Some choose to race their cars, some choose to baby their car. I don't see how one group is better than the other one.

To the OP: I was on the same boat as you so I chose to get a BMW X3 as a DD. I used to DD my 997 and it became mundane and lost the special feeling of having such a great machine. I now drive my 991 once in a while and it feels like the very first time.
Been shaving with Gillette?
Old 01-29-2019 | 07:51 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Been shaving with Gillette?
Nah, I'm not american. I was raised with different values.

Quick Reply: 911 Diminished value due to high miles