Sponsored by:

AMG GTS vs 991.2 C2S. What to get used?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Btw I took a look at some amg gts for sale in Canada. 2017 cars are being sold for 90k usd with less than 4k miles. What do you guys think? Drive the hack out of it and lose 20k or so in depreciation? Doesnt sound too bad of a deal
If you like the car, go for it. It's a really great value for what it is. Just please get one with a rear spoiler to balance out the ginormous hood. And if you get a tune it will be a monster. I raced my friend's tuned AMG GTS in my stage 1 tuned 991.2 GTS cab, and he edged me out slightly.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

The AMG will have more pre teen boys approaching you.

The Merc is a terrible car to putt around in on the daily. Very bad vision. Its makes cool sounds though.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:53 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
it does look more exotic than 911 lol.
If by exotic you mean ***** on steroids, then I have to agree.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but the 991 Carrera styling is, to my eye, the most lovely of all 911 generations. The AMG GTS is not in the same solar system when it comes to visual appeal.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:22 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but the 991 Carrera styling is, to my eye, the most lovely of all 911 generations. The AMG GTS is not in the same solar system when it comes to visual appeal.
In fairness it does have a lot of road presence when you see it coming from head on, or creeping up on you in your rear view mirror. But then it passes you... And it looks. Yeah..
Old 01-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN

Originally Posted by reacher
In fairness it does have a lot of road presence when you see it coming from head on, or creeping up on you in your rear view mirror. But then it passes you... And it looks. Yeah..
LOL Seems like lots of you guys don't like AMG GT styling. I don't mind it as much. My friend likes 911 design more. It definitely has more presense on the road vs. 911. Ugly but more presense.

Originally Posted by reacher
If you like the car, go for it. It's a really great value for what it is. Just please get one with a rear spoiler to balance out the ginormous hood. And if you get a tune it will be a monster. I raced my friend's tuned AMG GTS in my stage 1 tuned 991.2 GTS cab, and he edged me out slightly.
It's a great car. Dry sump V8 with all aluminum body. I can't ask for more. Really needs a rear spoiler. Problem is, if it can be done aftermarket if the used car doesn't have it. And, even so, is it worth putting a spoiler on a car that you are going to drive for few years and move on? Lol
Old 01-25-2019, 07:48 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The 911 holds its value so well because they keep raising the prices on new models while very gradually evolving the design. No telling what Mercedes will do with the car. It could go through a more substantial re-design as they do with most of their other models, then the older models depreciate more as they look dated.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:56 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by keithgreer
The 911 holds its value so well because they keep raising the prices on new models while very gradually evolving the design. No telling what Mercedes will do with the car. It could go through a more substantial re-design as they do with most of their other models, then the older models depreciate more as they look dated.
good points. there is a cult following for the 911, secondary markets are pretty healthy and have been for decades. Definitely not built up for the AMG GT models yet.

I don't think the car is as special when AMG pretty much sticks the same engine in all their cars- c63s, e63s, glc63s, etc. Would be nice if the engine is bespoke.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:53 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

I like the look of the AMG...and the sound! Exotic...but I couldn't use it as a DD. It does kinda make me laugh when I think of a 911 as a "practical" car. Buying used he'll already be ahead of the game...don't worry about the depreciation as the original owner already took the biggest hit.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:24 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I like the look of the AMG...and the sound! Exotic...but I couldn't use it as a DD. It does kinda make me laugh when I think of a 911 as a "practical" car. Buying used he'll already be ahead of the game...don't worry about the depreciation as the original owner already took the biggest hit.
Agree.

Me and my friend did look into MB forums and seems like some AMG GT's suffer from failure of its carbon fiber driveshaft. Man, I guess P-car is the car to get in the end.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:22 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

OP, i know few people who have amg gt and they have no issues with the car , so I guess some cars suffer from what you mentioned above. Amg gt couples sell well I think over GT roadsters, not sure why.The GTC( 550 horses, 500 lb ft torque) is a real powerful car that you can feel the torque rushand has rear wheel steering like 911 which makes a big difference in cars agility . 911s have much better resale value compared to amg gts
Old 01-26-2019, 05:27 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
good points. there is a cult following for the 911, secondary markets are pretty healthy and have been for decades. Definitely not built up for the AMG GT models yet.

I don't think the car is as special when AMG pretty much sticks the same engine in all their cars- c63s, e63s, glc63s, etc. Would be nice if the engine is bespoke.
Overall the AMG engines have been absolutely legendary. Hell, Pagani uses them. That V8 is a masterpiece in everything including the DB11.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:08 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Overall the AMG engines have been absolutely legendary. Hell, Pagani uses them. That V8 is a masterpiece in everything including the DB11.
look into the amg 6.2 liter v8 headbolt failures. I owned a c63 with that engine.

Because other small manufacturers choose to save r and d money and use an existing engine doesn’t make it legendary.

Its off putting to me if the engine is shared on too many platforms. Porsche does it with Audi on a few.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:46 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

I did drive one once that my dealer in Scottsdale had on the lot for kicks and comparison...was fast as hell...brutal acceleration but man did you feel the weight and size of it compared to the 991.1 which I eventually bought and especially the 981.1S I came out of prior. After 5 911's I will say love the brand and they keep getting better. The AMG are just about horsepower mostly or have been I think this one is a bit different but as a daily driver no I just couldn't see myself doing it and/or enjoying it. Good luck and let us know what your friend chooses!
Old 01-27-2019, 12:32 PM
J**2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest your friend sign on to one of the merc forums and read about some of the issues. I researched MB for almost a year. Seemed like owners of merc were always complaining about maintenance issues. Big problems with rock damage to front radiators.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:06 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by J**2
I suggest your friend sign on to one of the merc forums and read about some of the issues. I researched MB for almost a year. Seemed like owners of merc were always complaining about maintenance issues. Big problems with rock damage to front radiators.
I always complain about maintenance issues on my Mercedes and on my Porsches. Ironically, the only car I have right now that doesn’t seem to give me issues is a Ferrari (which does driven on a weekly basis).

- My 991.2 GTS was at the dealer for 2 weeks running down an electrical issue. They gutted most of the interior and found a short in the harness running through the body over the left rear wheel. On the upside, I did get to know the Macan really well over that time (spoiler, don’t buy a base model).
- I get more flats on the GTS than any car I have ever owned and each time it has to go back to the dealer for tire replacement (centerlocks and I do have tire-and-wheel protection). It costs just $50 each time but it’s a massive PITA.
- My brand new Panamera Turbo S E-hybrid Sport Turismo was in my hands for just 4 hours and 20 miles before the check engine light lit up. It’s been at the dealer for 10 days now and the latest is that they are going to install a test wiring harness for the engine to see if they can isolate the problem. The Cayenne the dealer gave me off the lot (not a loaner, dealer plates) is better than the Macan. I’ve put 1k miles on the Cayenne, pretty happy with it but I would prefer a turbo next time. Maybe if they end up buying back my Panamera, I’ll get one.
- My AMG E63S had the front brakes done, $1k a piece for the rotors and $600 an axle for pads. Nothing exceptional, just normal wear-and-tear at 36k miles... but it’s the 3rd time around for brakes on this car. I didn’t get a loaner but a month earlier when I was in for a strange noise coming from the pedals (which resulted in a new pedal assembly being installed) they gave me the GLC crossover and it drove surprisingly nice... much better than the C class they gave me 6 months ago when the lower control arm bushings cracked in half.

All these cars have maintenance issues and given the complexity and cost of parts, I wouldn’t own any of them out of warranty. As for radiator damage, the first thing I did on my GTS was install Zunsport grills on the crap catchers in the front bumper.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (10-29-2019)

Quick Reply: AMG GTS vs 991.2 C2S. What to get used?