Sponsored by:

Lurker turned Poster!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019 | 12:43 PM
carman63
Intermediate

Default Lurker turned Poster!

Hi all,

I've been lurking on and off in the forums for a little over a year, and finally created an account recently. I've finally been able to get to a point in life where I have the means to fulfill the dream of 911 ownership, and I've landed squarely in 991 territory. I've only driven a 991.2 so far (along with a 718 CS just because), and hope to do some back-to-back comparisons to a 991.1 soon (car availability and weather being the main factors). I'm trying to keep my budget around $85K or less, but we'll see how that goes

I put a lot of miles on a car (20-25K / year average) and I'm looking at my 911 purchase as a weekend car, for now. Usually, I swap out DDs every 18 months or so, because I either get bored or I just want something new/shiny/different. I've had, among others, a 350Z, several MINIs (and have driven them coast-to-coast), a Golf R, an Audi S3, and am currently on my second GTI.

I've been a huge Porsche fan for as long as I can remember. While stationed in Germany in the 80s, I had access to a friend's 924. When I was transferred to Florida, I got to drive a 944 and a slantnose 911 (damn). And about 8 years ago, a pristine 996 in Zanzibar Red 'almost' became my first 991 (damn you Navy FCU for mis-informing me on how old of a car you'd offer a loan on). I'm still researching and learning every day, and thankfully have a wife that's also as much into cars as I am. So I'm sure this will be our first, but not last (or only!) Porsche. Now I just need to drive a couple 991s (991.1 vs .2, manual vs PDK, etc) and narrow down to what my must-haves vs nice-to-haves are.

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-21-2019 | 12:52 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the boards. Based on your car history, I think the 991.2 will satisfy your needs, as you have been used to turbo charged cars. I admit, I do like the torquey feel of that kind of setup, as my S5 is also turbo charged. But, keep in mind that the 991.1 NA has a completely different power delivery. For me, I did not want any sort of turbo setup in my 911, so the 991.1 was the option for me. I would say the base 991.2 and 991.1 S models are similar in speed/acceleration, but again, delivery in two different ways. Choosing a manual shifter vs PDK, is another option you would really need to weigh in yourself. I love driving a manual, but as technology has gotten better, I have started favoring the auto trans, as they are the faster cars, and still provide me an engaging driving experience. Anyways, good luck with your search
Old 01-21-2019 | 01:02 PM
carman63
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NJ991
Welcome to the boards. Based on your car history, I think the 991.2 will satisfy your needs, as you have been used to turbo charged cars. I admit, I do like the torquey feel of that kind of setup, as my S5 is also turbo charged. But, keep in mind that the 991.1 NA has a completely different power delivery. For me, I did not want any sort of turbo setup in my 911, so the 991.1 was the option for me. I would say the base 991.2 and 991.1 S models are similar in speed/acceleration, but again, delivery in two different ways. Choosing a manual shifter vs PDK, is another option you would really need to weigh in yourself. I love driving a manual, but as technology has gotten better, I have started favoring the auto trans, as they are the faster cars, and still provide me an engaging driving experience. Anyways, good luck with your search
Thanks for the response! I've had an equal mix of manual and automatic/dual-clutch transmissions over the years. But with spending several years on a work commute with ~24 traffic lights, my left knee was starting to bug me. The deciding factor for me at this point is whether I think a 991 will become 'more' than a weekend/getaway car or not. That, and if a car comes along that checks all the boxes - and is in my price range - how much will I care about whether I have to row my own or not. Admittedly, my heel-toe is a bit rusty, but the Sport Chrono package would provide an assist for that. I guess I'll just have to test drive a lot

Quick Reply: Lurker turned Poster!