Door lock alarm weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:29 PM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Door lock alarm weirdness

Hi all-

So my 2018 Carrera is epic and I LOVE this car. One small thing I just don't get is locking the car. It has Entry and Drive. Here are the issues. MOST of the time touching the handle does NOT lock the door. I end up digging for the key to lock the car after fingering that door handle like a weirdo for a bit. When I do get it locked I get one of three chirps. 1- No chirp. Just nothing. That's about 50% of the time. 2- 1 chirp. I get that one about 40% of the time. Then, if I'm REALLY lucky, there's about 1-10 chance I'll get the (I believe intentional) 2 chirps.

How weird is this? Do you guys get this? This is my FOURTH 991 car and I don't think any of them did this. Pretty strange.

Thoughts?
alec
Old 07-26-2018, 06:58 PM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your door locking? No chirp means it is not locked. My 991.1. made no chirp when locking (any method), and with no key close I could open the passenger door and the alarm would go off. Turned out the passenger door lock was defective. Another way to check: lock the doors with the interior door lock button while in the car. If it doesn't light up, one of the doors is not locking.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:31 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is a bit random as well. Sometimes no chirp but can hear the locks engage (then flashing red on the door sil so it’s locked).

Find it’ll chip more often when I shut the door, wait a couple secs and then lock. Doesn’t chirp when I shut the door and look immediately in one motion.

Not concerned on my end as it’s seemingly locking fine. Maybe I should be?
Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Why does the lock confirmation chirp 1 time in some instances and 2 times in other instances.

It feels random... but there must be an explanation.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
Why does the lock confirmation chirp 1 time in some instances and 2 times in other instances.

It feels random... but there must be an explanation.

ig. 35: Locking the doors with Porsche Entry & Drive

1. The driver must be carrying the vehicle key, e.g. in the trouser pocket.
  1. Close the door.
  2. Touch proximity sensor A in the door handle.
    The emergency flasher emits two flashes and an acoustic signal will sound twice.
    The doors cannot be opened from outside.
– or –
If persons or animals are remaining in the vehicle:
  • Touch proximity sensor A in the door handle twice within 2 seconds.
    The emergency flasher emits one long flash.
    The doors are locked but can be opened from the inside by pulling the door opener.
    The alarm system’s interior surveillance is switched off.
  • Inform any persons remaining in the vehicle that the alarm system will be triggered if the door is opened.
Information
  1. When locking, only the proximity sensor in the door handle must be touched.
    If the entire door handle is gripped, the vehicle doors cannot be locked.
  2. The vehicle cannot be locked if the doors or luggage compartment lid are not closed fully.
    A warning signal sounds, a warning message appears on the multifunction display and the emergency flasher does not flash.
  3. The vehicle key must be outside the vehicle when locking the vehicle doors, otherwise the doors cannot be locked.
Press once, doors locked.

Press twice (within 2 seconds), doors are locked but can be opened from the inside by pulling the door opener.

Drives me nuts, too - every other time, I get one chirp or two chirps...

Ooooh - here's one I didn't know!

Information
Operational readiness of Porsche Entry & Drive is switched off after 96 hours for the driver's door and after 36 hours for the passenger doors if the vehicle is not unlocked within this time.
  1. Pull the door handle once to activate the system again.
  2. Pull the door handle again to open the door.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:30 PM
hbear
Racer

Also might be because I use the door handle to close (instead of the window or door panel to prevent handprints/smudges) which the car might be sensing.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:52 PM
Rapter
Racer

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Press once, doors locked.

Press twice (within 2 seconds), doors are locked but can be opened from the inside by pulling the door opener.

Drives me nuts, too - every other time, I get one chirp or two chirps...

Ooooh - here's one I didn't know![/list]
Typical lengthy Porsche explanation.... and with pictures.

Sadly, still cannot understand why there is a 1-time chirp and a 2-time chirp.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

991.2 with Entry and Drive here. I'm having the same issues with the one vs two chirp locking indicator, that is, I usually get one chirp when locking instead of two. The key fob sensor seems weaker than my 991.1, I have to get closer to the door in order for it to work. Glad I'm not alone with this, kind of...
Old 07-26-2018, 10:52 PM
bibik
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably should merge with this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1081...ues-911-t.html

Apparently a lot of people are having this issue, and it is yet to be solved. I emailed my SA to check, but no reply yet.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Could it be a weak battery or moisture in the key fob?
Old 07-26-2018, 11:07 PM
hbear
Racer

Doubt it, my car is brand new, picked up end of May.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:00 PM
Rapter
Racer

Was playing around this afternoon and discovered a patter...

Using the key fob to lock the car yielded a consistent 1-chirp.

Using the door handle Porsche entry yielded a consistent 2-chirps.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:23 PM
bibik
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After the 1-chirp with the key fob, I find that if you press the lock button once more within about 1 second, it does the 2-chirps. Does it do the same for you?
Old 07-31-2018, 03:45 PM
Rapter
Racer

Originally Posted by vickytor
After the 1-chirp with the key fob, I find that if you press the lock button once more within about 1 second, it does the 2-chirps. Does it do the same for you?
Yes it does.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:32 PM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Alec Syme
Hi all-

So my 2018 Carrera is epic and I LOVE this car. One small thing I just don't get is locking the car. It has Entry and Drive. Here are the issues. MOST of the time touching the handle does NOT lock the door. I end up digging for the key to lock the car after fingering that door handle like a weirdo for a bit. When I do get it locked I get one of three chirps. 1- No chirp. Just nothing. That's about 50% of the time. 2- 1 chirp. I get that one about 40% of the time. Then, if I'm REALLY lucky, there's about 1-10 chance I'll get the (I believe intentional) 2 chirps.

How weird is this? Do you guys get this? This is my FOURTH 991 car and I don't think any of them did this. Pretty strange.

Thoughts?
alec

My 991.2 does this and so did both of prior Macans. Also have noticed it on Porsche loaners. Sometimes two chirps, sometimes one chirp, sometimes no chirps but always locks. It must be a Porsche locking/alarm module issue

Quick Reply: Door lock alarm weirdness