Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Metal Sunroof to Glass Sunroof Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 12:37 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

This looks great! I imagine this is the part we'd need to order, any supporting materials?

https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...QtMGwtaDYtZ2Fz

Originally Posted by Gripster
For those that are wondering, I found this where someone had done the swap. It looks fairly straightforward.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-had-been.html

I’m thinking about this too, so if anyone wants to swap my Platinum silver roof for their glass proof in the San Diego area, drop me a PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gripster (04-09-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 08:18 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting! I have the black metal sunroof on my 991.2. Would be interested in a swap for a glass roof.
I live in Orange County, CA.
Smokinjoe14 (05-10-2023)
Old 06-06-2021, 09:14 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

First one to come to Berkeley can have mine, it has a tiny knick that’s only noticeable when you’re looking from a few inches away.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:23 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 461 Posts

If memory serves me, there is a Rennlist member who did it himself in his garage. A search (as bad as it is) may turn up the post. I believe he was in Arizona.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:27 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixxerboy63
Indeed, the 15lb weight savings isn't what's driving my decision, rather its the overall look that I want.
While a 15 lb savings might not sound like much, the sunroof is at the highest point on the car. Except for unsprung weight like wheels and tires, up high on the is the best place to save weight, for better handling. Better than removing 15 lbs at the floor pan level on the car, Lithium batteries, lightweight glass, and replacing that heavy rear seat back with the lightweight GT3 rear carpet set are also useful handling upgrades, because the are all mounted above the center of gravity of a 911..
Old 06-20-2021, 12:13 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gixxerboy63
I am considering a carbon roof conversion on mine, so glass roof and all ancillary parts may be available if anyone is interested... 😁
ping me when you're ready to sell it!
Old 11-21-2021, 09:47 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

So I finally found a glass sunroof on eBay. These things are super rare, especially to find a good one that's reasonably priced. The install was literally all of 20mins.
It's a really simple process:
1. Pop the sunroof up but stop it retracting back all the way. You just want it to lift to reveal the six torx screws.
2. Remove the six torx screws and lift the panel out. If you're tall like me you can do this by yourself.
3. Put the new glass roof into place. Try to align the torx screws using the markings previously etched into the paint from the removal from the donor car.
4. Do not tighten the screws. Just leave them enough so they are snugly holding the roof in place.
5. Close the roof. Observe the alignment by the seal compression into the roof line. This should help guide adjustment to either move the panel, backwards, forwards, up or down at each of the four corners. Pop the roof again and start by aligning the front from what you observed.
6. It will take several tries to get it nicely aligned.

You're done!

This is how much you pop it to start

Look ma, no roof!

See the three torx screws?

Complete!
The following 4 users liked this post by MichaelKlein:
Bry5on (11-21-2021), kgx (03-06-2023), koala (11-21-2021), Smokinjoe14 (05-10-2023)
Old 11-21-2021, 10:35 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a glass 991 panel in the Bay Area, free if you pick it up. PM me!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bry5on:
kgx (03-06-2023), noahabel (11-22-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 11:20 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bry5on
you might want to consider putting it on ebay. I just bought mine for $800.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:47 AM
minh
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 36 Posts

did you happen to weigh metal vs glass? I always liked having more light vs the actual opening of the roof
Old 11-22-2021, 12:08 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Originally Posted by minh
did you happen to weigh metal vs glass? I always liked having more light vs the actual opening of the roof
Nope - but the metal was definitely a bit lighter. For me the decision was about the look, the aesthetics. I don't race it on the track, I'm not going to corner it at 140mph where it would matter. And look better it does, for me at least, especially from the inside.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:23 PM
kgx
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bry5on
Hi there - do you happen to still have this? Or, does anyone else?
Old 03-06-2023, 02:43 PM
kgx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichaelKlein
So I finally found a glass sunroof on eBay. These things are super rare, especially to find a good one that's reasonably priced. The install was literally all of 20mins.
It's a really simple process:
1. Pop the sunroof up but stop it retracting back all the way. You just want it to lift to reveal the six torx screws.
2. Remove the six torx screws and lift the panel out. If you're tall like me you can do this by yourself.
3. Put the new glass roof into place. Try to align the torx screws using the markings previously etched into the paint from the removal from the donor car.
4. Do not tighten the screws. Just leave them enough so they are snugly holding the roof in place.
5. Close the roof. Observe the alignment by the seal compression into the roof line. This should help guide adjustment to either move the panel, backwards, forwards, up or down at each of the four corners. Pop the roof again and start by aligning the front from what you observed.
6. It will take several tries to get it nicely aligned.

You're done!

This is how much you pop it to start

Look ma, no roof!

See the three torx screws?

Complete!
Bump - looks great! did you have any adverse issues since the installation? I see that a dealer told someone the glass roof might wear out the motors quicker because of the added weight... not sure if that's a real issue or not.

Also, looks like you can't retrofit the shade right?
Old 03-06-2023, 02:54 PM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Originally Posted by kgx
Bump - looks great! did you have any adverse issues since the installation? I see that a dealer told someone the glass roof might wear out the motors quicker because of the added weight... not sure if that's a real issue or not.

Also, looks like you can't retrofit the shade right?
Not sure why a dealer would say that. There are no part differences on the motor and rail assembly. Sounds like a made up issue I've had no issues and I've had it open at speed too. It's definitely a worthwhile change.
I guess you could retrofit the shade if you pulled the entire headliner out Way too much work... I personally don't have any issues with that missing bc it doesn't really get hot enough to need it in Southern CA, USA.
kgx (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 02:58 PM
kgx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichaelKlein
Not sure why a dealer would say that. There are no part differences on the motor and rail assembly. Sounds like a made up issue I've had no issues and I've had it open at speed too. It's definitely a worthwhile change.
I guess you could retrofit the shade if you pulled the entire headliner out Way too much work... I personally don't have any issues with that missing bc it doesn't really get hot enough to need it in Southern CA, USA.
thanks for the quick reply! agonizing over a 991 purchase, and the frontrunner car i'm interested in has a metal sunroof, but if i can swap it, that might seal the deal lol. i've got a fixed glass roof on my existing car that doesn't open or have a shade, so i'm sure i'll deal with it.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Metal Sunroof to Glass Sunroof Swap