Sponsored by:

911T and Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:07 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts
Default 911T and Spyder

Anyone have experience owning both of these? I've seen people with GT3's and 4's owning both but would love to hear Spyder's owners opinions. Been debating on these two this whole past year.

Just a little bit of back ground had a 991S back four years ago and absolutely loved it. It was one of the cars I never got tired of. While I had the 911 I bought a GT4. At the time the GT4 felt like so much more of a dialed in car (handling & steering wise). However as time went on the GT4 got a little boring. The motor wasnt as fun as it was in the 911 and it was so good at what it did that mountain runs became a little boring. To add to the fact I had an S2000 as well. While still the inferior car it's has a lot of the same character as the four for a fraction of the cost. After the GT4 I moved onto a Ferrari F430, now this is an experience car and every drive is an occasion. However the Ferrari isn't something I can bring to work so it really limits when I can drive it and only leaves me the weekends. Being a Porschephile I have gotten the bug again to get one. It's something that I always liked that I could drive it everyday wherever I wanted without a care. I do enjoy the rear engine bias of the 911 as well as it creates a little more driver involvement.

While the Spyder of course hasn't been released a lot of the "insider" information is pointing towards a 4.0 (non GT3) motor. This I believe will fix a lot of the problems I had with the 981 GT4 with regards to gearing and hopefully better top end with the X51. However still a little concerned it will again be to similar to my S2000. For me the 911T gives me that rear engine bias again but with a nice Jekyll and Hyde turbo motor. For me it separates itself more from what I already have due to these two items. Then it also has the gracious tune-ability down the line if I ever get bored with it. The downsides of the T to me is it may not feel special like the GT4 or Spyder may feel and the 992 is right around the corner. It will of course depreciate at a higher rate then those as well. While this doesn't detract me from the car at all it is always nice to have a little more money left in the car if you get bored with it.

The primary uses of the cars will be daily tasks between my other two household cars and then full on mountain runs. Track time to me is very limited with maybe 1-2 times a year. Perfect T spec for me is buckets, RWS, and CCB's.

I have the first 718 Spyder allotment at my dealer so getting an allocation isn't a problem for me. There are also multiple on the ground T's available that fit my description. However I wouldn't buy the T at MSRP as I believe they can be had discounted.

While I'm not fully basing my decision off of a forum board it nice to hear others thoughts and use it as a sounding board. Sorry for the long rant and thank you in advance for any replies.

Last edited by CarAholic; 01-11-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Having owned a 96 911, gt4 , s2000 and now a 2014 911 50 th I say keep s2000 and buy an air cooled 911 .
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Not quite in the Carrera T pool yet but I relate to your description of the GT4 being almost too good, almost too easy to drive. I'm finding somewhat the same experience with my Gen-1 (987.2) Spyder. It's an incredible car, often described with superlatives like "magical" and "greater than the sum of all it's parts" etc... but so good at what it does that is slightly boring to rip it up in the mountains. Some month back now I test drove a 991.2 GTS 4 and really loved it. This got me looking at the T with a build similar to what you've mentioned - LWBS, MT, RAS, PCCBs. So I'm looking forward to hearing the responses that come in. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Oh yes MT for me too all the way, forgot to add that to the above. For better reference, the 911 and GT4 I owned for two years and put 20,000 miles on both of them. While the Ferrari has only acquired 6,000 miles in the same time frame. So I do drive and enjoy my cars.
The following users liked this post:
cyberay (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Oh yes MT for me too all the way, forgot to add that to the above. For better reference too both the 911 and GT4 I owned for two years and out 20,000 miles on them. While the Ferrari has only acquired 6,000 miles in the same time frame. So I do drive and enjoy my cars.
This is what I go back and forth on - I enjoy driving cars and is it possible that with changing into a T I'll be right back at the same in 2 years / 10K miles looking at something else. The deliberations of the Porsche Wandering Eye (PWE)...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
This is what I go back and forth on - I enjoy driving cars and is it possible that with changing into a T I'll be right back at the same in 2 years / 10K miles looking at something else. The deliberations of the Porsche Wandering Eye (PWE)...
Possibly but the Carrera T gives you such great and different driving dynamics. Regular mode for everyday driving, Sport, Sport + and aftermarket Cobb Tune.

I'm loving my T and after a number of 911s my all time favourite.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:06 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

I've had a GT4 and currently have a 987.2 Spyder and Carrera T with RAS and LWBS. I have had many Porsches including GT3s, 993, Caymans, Boxsters, Cayman 3.8, various 911s, Macan, Cayenne, etc. etc.
The 987.2 Spyder IS special (this is my second one). That being said, I will probably be selling it and keeping the 911 T.
I too kind of got bored with the GT4. It was a great car and very capable but I never loved it like the Spyder or RS.
The 911T and Spyder are so different. I would love to just keep both but I just dont drive as much as what I would like or that can justify keeping both. The 911 T is just a better car all around. However, it is not as special to me as the Spyder.
But it is the car I will end up driving more. I just ordered a COBB tune and I have Carrera S brakes in my garage waiting to be put on it.
The T is a great car in many respects and it is definitely more special than a standard Carrera in some respects. I love the RAS and LWBS. And I really like the gray accents. I'm not a T die hard defender like many others here but I am very happy with the car and I have no regrets with the purchase.
For what its worth my favorite Porsche's I have ever owned in order are (1) 987.2 Spyder (2) 997.1 GT3 RS and (3) 996 GT3 and (4) tie between 991.2 T and GT4.
The Spyder and RS were more exciting to drive but the T is just a more usable car in most respects than all of them. I do have a deposit on a new Spyder but time will tell what I decide on that.
It will likely be more appealing than the 991.2 T but I'm not sure yet what I will do.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:22 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Possibly but the Carrera T gives you such great and different driving dynamics. Regular mode for everyday driving, Sport, Sport + and aftermarket Cobb Tune.

I'm loving my T and after a number of 911s my all time favourite.
Same here.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a Carrera T currently and sold a 981 Spyder a couple years ago. The Spyder had a bit less torque and a bit more sound. I liked it okay but was not able to spec with LWBs, which are a requirement for my application (mixed street and track use). Also, the roof turned out to be more of a pain than I thought. My opinion is that the engine performance of the Spyder and GT4 is very similar. So if the GT4 didn’t grab you, not sure the Spyder would either. Both are exotic looking amazing cars, whereas the T is more mainstream. (Although in Guards Red my T is rather shocking to the common eye). The T is much more technological, even in basic configuration. Got my LWBs now so I am happy.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:06 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Ha 'caroholic.' You move cars a lot. If you got bored with a GT4, honest opinion is you'll get bored with a 911 T or 718 spyder. Quickly. Between the two, you need to decide on the type of car you want...convertible 2 seater or coupe with tiny rear seats. No use for rear seats or space and got the climate for open top driving? I'd go for the spyder. Unless you get fancy stuff like AWD, PDCC, rear steering, and SPASM, the mid engine cayman/boxster is better drives's car. Its totally up what you want. But good news is you'll be shopping again in no time.

Me? I'd go with the 911 because I don't like the 718 style after being a 981 owner. Plus I like the tiny back seat for occasional kid hauling, gym bag, etc. I've did the whole boxster thing and found out I prefer a GT car more. Porsche wants to maintain the 911 superiority over the cayman/boxster and its a better every day car in many regards.

If you're buying just for the engine, deprecation, cost basis, feeling special...you're doing it wrong. Its just a car.

I wouldn't get buckets (uncomfortable and nonadjustable) or ceramic brakes (excessive and don't work well in many street conditions) for daily driving. Or even a T with MT. This is more of a noisy fun weekend car spec. A loaded PDK GTS/S is best for daily use. IMO re-evaluate what you REALLY want so you're not trading in so much.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:46 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I own both a 2018 C4 and a 2014 Boxster S. Not quite exactly the comparison that you are looking for but very similar. These cars couldn't be more different in looks, driveability, handling etc. They are worlds apart and are so different that I think it should be easy to make a decision based on what you really want.

1. Convertible vs. Coup?
2. Mid-engine vs rear engine?
3. NA vs Turbo?
4. Four seats vs two seats?

Since you already have two other cars for daily stuff, it sounds like you are using your Porsche as a fun car. I'd get the 718 Spyder. It's very unique and rare if you don't mind the manual top. Two seat, manual, mid-engine screaming NA engine right behind your ear. It's heaven. It also may be the last NA Boxster made. It's going to be quite a collector. The 911T is just another 911 to the population at large including most Porsche fanatics.

Also, the Spyder/GT4 look like they are getting the 3.8L not the 4.0L. You probably heard the that the GT4 Club sport released about a week ago has the 3.8L tuned to 425hp. I can't see the street car getting a different power plant.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:20 PM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I just sold my 981 Spyder and jumped into a 911 targa 4 GTS. Spyder is special and I loved the car, but I do more than just rip through twisties. Ultimately the T is the more complete car. Depends on how you use it.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:00 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

One other consideration is if you like to buy new or used. If you prefer new, then you don't have much time to get a T. You may still be able to order one but you have to act fast. And the ones on the lot that are to your spec may not last long. Either way, you have to make a decision fairly soon. With the 718 Spyder, you still have time.

If you don't mind buying used/CPO, then wait until the Spyder is officially released and there are some reviews and then decide.

I don't mind buying CPO because it buys 2 more years of warranty, albeit not as comprehensive as a new car warranty. And along that line of thinking, a used GTS gets pretty close in price to a new T. My favorite 911 after the 993 was a 997 GTS. I only sold it because it was PDK and I missed the manual. GTS or T you can't go wrong. For my money, I may be leaning towards a GTS.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:55 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
For what its worth my favorite Porsche's I have ever owned in order are (1) 987.2 Spyder (2) 997.1 GT3 RS and (3) 996 GT3 and (4) tie between 991.2 T gt4
i would say 997 RS destroys the 987 Spyder in every driving/performance aspect.
Real race engine (997 RS) vs. underwhelmed drive train (987 Spyder).
Old 04-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DK7
i would say 997 RS destroys the 987 Spyder in every driving/performance aspect.
Real race engine (997 RS) vs. underwhelmed drive train (987 Spyder).
Destroys a Gen-1 Spyder? Nah. You just need to know how to eke out the goodness of the lesser HP, more balance Spyder. The Spyder, IMO, and I've driven both back to back, is about a good 80% of the RS. Yes the RS has a "wild" side to it that goads you on to "take it to the limit" and could seriously bite you in the leg in the process but the 997.2 Spyder, on the right road and temperature... sublime driving. And... at 30% the cost. And if you know the road, and get on the power early on, you can keep up with the RS. Just sayin...

Quick Reply: 911T and Spyder