Sponsored by:

Black Trim Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts
Default Black Trim Sport Chrono

Some may remember me talking about this a while back since the trim around the gauges on my GTS are Black but the Sport Chrono trim is Silver. I really wanted the SC trim to match and I thought about buying the one that comes on the GT cars albeit those have orange needles and the outer marks are as well; however, I could live with that as the SC is further away from the dash guages. It is expensive (~$600) and while I am pretty sure it would work I could not return it since it is an electrical item. Anyway, I was looking at mine closely and it appeared that the trim ring might be a separate piece but after trying to get it off I was afraid to break it so I gave up, but it bothered me so I decided to give it another shot. I used a jeweler's screw driver wrapped with a tiny piece of painter's tape and I was able to pop it off and after painting it Satin Black I am very happy with the result; see before & after pics:

Silver SC Trim

Satin Black (Painted) SC Trim
Old 01-10-2019, 12:21 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Some may remember me talking about this a while back since the trim around the gauges on my GTS are Black but the Sport Chrono trim is Silver. I really wanted the SC trim to match and I thought about buying the one that comes on the GT cars albeit those have orange needles and the outer marks are as well; however, I could live with that as the SC is further away from the dash guages. It is expensive (~$600) and while I am pretty sure it would work I could not return it since it is an electrical item. Anyway, I was looking at mine closely and it appeared that the trim ring might be a separate piece but after trying to get it off I was afraid to break it so I gave up, but it bothered me so I decided to give it another shot. I used a jeweler's screw driver wrapped with a tiny piece of painter's tape and I was able to pop it off and after painting it Satin Black I am very happy with the result; see before & after pics:

Silver SC Trim

Satin Black (Painted) SC Trim
Looks great. Where did you pry to get the ring off? Did you take the entire SC out before prying it off?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:30 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I have a set of trim removal tools and I almost started to take the SC out since it is pretty easy to do so but when I noticed the tiny gap I was able to get it off the easy way. It did fly into the back seat when it popped off but nothing was damaged. I just put the jeweler's screwdriver in a few spots and gently turned it in a few places and off she came. If you try that method and it does not come off you can take it out and I am sure it would be easier; see this video to help removing it from the dash:

In case one is wondering the trim ring cannot be purchased alone so if someone does not want to paint it they have to buy the entire SC unit that has the Black trim.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 AM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Bob, you have too much time on your hands.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:11 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Funny, I was just thinking of this very thing this afternoon. Looks like a project day tomorrow. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:24 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks very nice ,a low key improvement. Good job.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 AM
IMPorsche
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

wow, blend in really well with the black clock face...well done!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim991
Bob, you have too much time on your hands.
I retired at 50 so yes, I have a lot of time on my hands and while walking on the beach every day is nice I need other things to keep me occupied. As I have said, my car (and bike) are one of my hobbies and I get a lot of enjoyment out of doing things that pretty only I will notice.
The following users liked this post:
Anu2g (10-28-2023)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:05 AM
DOG ON
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I've heard it said that "true wealth" is not only having the money to do what you want, but also the time to enjoy it all.
It would appear you have both, Bob.

I'm jealous.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DOG ON
I've heard it said that "true wealth" is not only having the money to do what you want, but also the time to enjoy it all.
It would appear you have both, Bob.

I'm jealous.
It does get boring at times as my wife still works as a special ed. teacher since as she loves it, but I told her she has to stop in 2 years so we have more time together. It is just the two of us (and our two cats) and we don't consider ourselves rich but we enjoy what we have. And I have back problems, which are worse when I sit so walking is physical therapy for me, and I might as well do it some place nice as opposed to a treadmill in some stinky gym.

Anyway, I thought about painting the trim ring Miami Blue for a second when I picked it up off the back seat but that was not my original plan and I think I have enough Miami Blue already!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

looks great!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Nice job Bob-looks great! If you find yourself bored now, just get back in your car and go for a drive. Time passes much more enjoyably in a P-car.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:33 AM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks great Bob! I’m in the same situation here in Scottsdale....retired and wife still works as a nurse.
What paint did you use...satin black lacquer? Did you clear coat?
thanks! Rob
Old 01-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GraSox
Looks great Bob! I’m in the same situation here in Scottsdale....retired and wife still works as a nurse.
What paint did you use...satin black lacquer? Did you clear coat?
thanks! Rob
I just used some generic Black Satin Spray Enamel from Wal-Mart that I had here from doing some pieces on my bike. No clear coat, no sanding, etc. and I just used some alcohol to make sure it was clean in advance and a few light coats of paint and wah-lah!
Old 01-10-2019, 02:44 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Perfect thanks Bob. Now I’m gonna to the PDK boot thing... may do Alcantara boot....we’ll see

Quick Reply: Black Trim Sport Chrono