Sponsored by:

Cost of adding back model badges

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:53 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Thx guys , btw the color is dark blue metallic

if the dealer has the template then I am assuming doing Porsche and the model badge is possible
Old 01-06-2019, 09:05 PM
ASF-NS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carfax only shows reported accidents.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

For whatever reason, model designation delete ($0) + painted "PORSCHE" (in body color or glass black) was $380~ on the configurator—while PORSCHE letters in gloss black were about $90-100 over the parts counter. Downsides to saving $300~? 1) nailing the placement, as others have noted, and 2) the factory-placed lettering seems to "etch" the clear coat on the bumper, as was the case when I switched from chrome to black letters. Couldn't really polished out, either. I think the dealer got pretty aggressive with the clear, which didn't make me so happy.

The OP only needs to worry about 2) above, and my experience (and those of others I have seen) would have me think twice about changing the configuration of the letters—whether to or from model designation delete.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Pete, you’re right about the etching. Couldn’t totally polish it out, but not very visible on white.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts

Wow that's badge double delete...I like it. The center light has never been my cup of tea but that color is awesome ! If I were buying a car that did not have the Porsche factory delete badge I would start becoming wary of an accident.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:22 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I recently debadged my new GT3 in preparation for a full clear bra. Using painters tape and a pencil to outline the letters, then putting the tape on non stick adhesive backing, I made a stencil for reapplication. Not sure whether to get the letters painted jet black metallic, do them in a gray vinyl to match the wheels or just leave it clean. Leaning towards leaving it clean though.

1. laying out tape with alignment marks

2. Once all laid out, I used a pencil to trace the letters, then moved the tape to workbench

3. cutting letters out

4. test fit back on car before pulling letters off

5. tape pieces transferred to non stick backing paper for storage

5. Clean backend
Old 01-08-2019, 02:01 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
For whatever reason, model designation delete ($0) + painted "PORSCHE" (in body color or glass black) was $380~ on the configurator—while PORSCHE letters in gloss black were about $90-100 over the parts counter. Downsides to saving $300~? 1) nailing the placement, as others have noted, and 2) the factory-placed lettering seems to "etch" the clear coat on the bumper, as was the case when I switched from chrome to black letters. Couldn't really polished out, either. I think the dealer got pretty aggressive with the clear, which didn't make me so happy.

The OP only needs to worry about 2) above, and my experience (and those of others I have seen) would have me think twice about changing the configuration of the letters—whether to or from model designation delete.
I switch mine to black by myself and came out perfect. did one letter at a time and marked the placement with painters tape. luckily the double sided tape residue just came off by rubbing it with my finger.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:25 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

I just ordered new emblems for my 991, due to the fact that after a year of ownership I just noticed the spacing between the letters of PORSCHE is quite terrible. Though there is no history, or glaring evidence, of damage the rear emblems have most certainly been taken off and replaced.

I am at a loss as to how to get a template to use, since I can't use existing placement to launch from. Going to call the dealer to ask to borrow their stencil but I am none too hopeful.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Arxigos
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by drive95
I just ordered new emblems for my 991, due to the fact that after a year of ownership I just noticed the spacing between the letters of PORSCHE is quite terrible. Though there is no history, or glaring evidence, of damage the rear emblems have most certainly been taken off and replaced.

I am at a loss as to how to get a template to use, since I can't use existing placement to launch from. Going to call the dealer to ask to borrow their stencil but I am none too hopeful.

I am going through the same thing right now. I called every Porsche dealership within a 50 mile radius (SF Bay Area) and none of them had a factory template. After a discussion with some of the members here, I started calling Porsche certified body shops. I found a couple that have the factory template and are willing to do it for cheap. Just an fyi
Old 01-08-2019, 02:36 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Arxigos
I am going through the same thing right now. I called every Porsche dealership within a 50 mile radius (SF Bay Area) and none of them had a factory template. After a discussion with some of the members here, I started calling Porsche certified body shops. I found a couple that have the factory template and are willing to do it for cheap. Just an fyi
Good idea! I'm sure there are some certified shops in ATL. Will make calls 👍
Old 01-08-2019, 06:02 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I assumed the PORSCHE lettering comes pre-spaced and when ready to apply just line it up, remove the backing, and stick away. I just took the lettering off my car, kind of a PIA and took awhile not to scratch. I guess I will see when the new lettering comes in.

Personally, my OCD would force me to remove the PORSCHE lettering with that spacing gap. I would just remove the PORSCHE and leave the 911. Call it day.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
I assumed the PORSCHE lettering comes pre-spaced and when ready to apply just line it up, remove the backing, and stick away.
No. It's not just the spacing between letters, it's the arc and curvature of the entire script.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
No. It's not just the spacing between letters, it's the arc and curvature of the entire script.
Well hell....... I guess I will see how it goes. -- not as easy as I had hoped/envisioned. I left the original lettering on, so at this point I'm really happy I did since I will have a good idea of where to place the letters. I should make a template based on my experience. Maybe scan it in and then I could email it to fellow Rennlisters. Sounds like a cool project.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:21 PM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Jump to 23:00 minutes and you will see how the lettering is placed using templates.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:32 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T3X4S
Jump to 23:00 minutes and you will see how the lettering is placed using templates.
Makes me appreciate the building of the car more. Nice video! Definitely not making a factory version of the template.... lol

Quick Reply: Cost of adding back model badges