Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heading out tomorrow morning for a CT scan...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Thought you were getting some imaging done. Glad to hear you shopping for a car!
Old 01-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
#44 thread has a few folks that have come from GT3 to T.

Let’s not go there again.
Actually, I think there are now several RLers who either went from a GT3 to a T or added a T to the stable. I'm one of them and loving it! There's a good T thread/discussion on the GT3 forum, as well.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Short of a GT3, the Carrera T is my favorite iteration of the 991.

The T is a blast. I drove one and had my order placed a couple weeks later. Car is awesome and the tuning possibilities sweeten the deal. Whether I actually tune it is TBD.
I find I'm driving my T far more than my GT3. Would take the GT3 for the track but much prefer my T for road driving.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It would be nice to simplify. But I’m not going to sell my Cayman track car. And every time I drive the ‘86 Targa it puts a smile on my face. The CT is more of a daily driver, loads of fun, lots of technology and coolness. Not sure I would be brave enough to take the Targa on a long trip. But also not willing to give it up just yet. There is nothing like a good air cooled P-car.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:09 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Thought you were getting some imaging done. Glad to hear you shopping for a car!
x2.... glad to hear as well

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
Actually, I think there are now several RLers who either went from a GT3 to a T or added a T to the stable. I'm one of them and loving it! There's a good T thread/discussion on the GT3 forum, as well.
I find I'm driving my T far more than my GT3. Would take the GT3 for the track but much prefer my T for road driving.
GT cars have massive hype and allure (rightly so IMO), but if my GT3 was MT instead of PDK I might have been in the same boat. Don't mind the wing and still find the GT3 a bit incognito in my spec compared to some of the racier ones or the 3RS. One of the reasons I went for PDK on my GT3 was so that there's pretty much no excuse to take it anywhere and everywhere. That being said, there are still quite a few instances where I take my C4 over the GT3. The T seems to be a great middle ground between the "regular" Carreras and the GT stuff, maybe best of both worlds and the car to get "if you only had to have one" or "can only have one" situation
Old 01-05-2019, 02:44 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I'm one of them. Went from the current GT3 to my Carrera T...love my T as it's my daily. I just couldn't daily the GT3 with buckets.
I don't mean to hi jack the thread but can you two elaborate on the differences between the T and the GT3? I have a T now, and I had a 997.2 GT3 several years ago. I sold the GT3 as the suspension was just crazy firm to drive every day. I've heard that the 991.2 GT3 has a more compliant suspension than the 997.2 version. If you could compare the ride between the T and the 991.2 GT3 I'd really appreciate it. The T is such a good car (probably one of the best I've had) but I keep looking at the GT3's which is probably really stupid of me
Old 01-05-2019, 11:44 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Originally Posted by Randy M
I don't mean to hi jack the thread but can you two elaborate on the differences between the T and the GT3? I have a T now, and I had a 997.2 GT3 several years ago. I sold the GT3 as the suspension was just crazy firm to drive every day. I've heard that the 991.2 GT3 has a more compliant suspension than the 997.2 version. If you could compare the ride between the T and the 991.2 GT3 I'd really appreciate it. The T is such a good car (probably one of the best I've had) but I keep looking at the GT3's which is probably really stupid of me
You should really check out the Carrera T thread on the GT3 forum, especially the recent posts by sgroer — and maybe he can comment here, too. And you should check out Pete Stout’s comments from his European comparison — again, it’s an easy search for the thread and Pete can comment here, as well. But I’ll say that while it may not be as stiff and unforgiving as the 997 GT3, the 991.2 GT3 is quite stiff and uncomfortable for road driving. It’s just very impractical, especially with the buckets, which I have. Great track car but certainly not my go-to for road driving. T’s acceleration, torque, suspension, manual shifts, steering, sound and handling are all spot on. I’m one of the folks who really loves and uses the back seats, too, so there’s that. Sampellegrino said it well a couple posts above, the T is the best of both worlds,
Old 01-06-2019, 12:51 AM
Haliax
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

My Carrera T is my first P-car, so I can't help with comparisons to other Porsches. However, I can say that it is a joy to daily drive. The chassis is incredible at communicating the road but also dampening all the imperfections one encounters on city streets. My car has the 18-way seats, so I'm not sure if the lightweight buckets would change the comfort factor or not for daily driving. From comments I have seen from others that have them, they are great once you are in them but perhaps a little hard to get out of.

I also think the 3.0L base engine will probably go down as one of the best Porsche has made. It truly gives you the best of both worlds with low RPM torque for tooling around town but also loves to rev high into the RPM band similar to the older NA engines. I feel special every day when the flat six roars to life before my commute and count myself as lucky that this model was available for my first P-car. The T definitely has that cool factor as well. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Results of the cT scan... choke!

Well, thanks everyone and here's my update.

I ripped out to the dealership in the Gen-1 Spyder, top down, heat on, wind in the cabin, the sight of snowy mountains in the distance. Wonderful. What a car. Got to the dealership and there was this beautiful, white, well spec'd CT. Fired him up and yes - what a great engine. Very responsive and a great engine note. All was heading in the right direction until I rec'd the trade in quote for my Spyder. Argh... I'm not dreaming thinking I'll be offered $5K less than retail or anything of the sort, but $25 less? Choke! Sure it does now, at 67K Kms need some work, but I just can't justify a $25K hit. So my emotional start down the slippery slope into CT ownership was arrested by the sobering financial facts of my trade in. And secretly, in part, to the fact I love that car, I'm reluctant to part with a Gen-1 Spyder a second time.

Options? Do I want to add a 3rd Porsche to the mix? Well yes and no. As I mentioned earlier I'm waning in my love of owning multiple cars and looking for that one Porsche to do them all. So, where to now? Some days of quiet contemplating. Off on a business trip for a couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Spyder now with top donned and tucked away beside his crip mate the 993 C2S.

Thanks again for everyone's help and enjoy your CT's!

FUTURE?
2019 Porsche Carrera T

PRESENT
2011 Porsche 987.2 Boxster Spyder Arctic Silver / Carrera Red MT, LWBS, AC delete, Cup holder delete
2010 VW Golf White / Black MT
2008 BMW E60 / 528i Atlas Grey / Black
1998 Porsche 993 C2S Ocean Blue Metallic / Classic Grey

PAST
2017 Porsche Macan GTS
2016 Porsche Macan S
2008 Porsche 997.1 Cab
2006 Porsche 997.2 C2S
Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Dealer trade on a now 8 year old car is never going to be pleasant. I'd contact BAT and see where they'd recommend the reserve, do a little research here and elsewhere on recent transactions, and then *wait* until April/May to sell the droptop. January market is where summer toy deals are in the buyer's favor for sure.

cheers!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:38 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

$25k below retail? Is that actually what dealers offer? I figured a $5-10k hit but if a dealer is really looking to make that much, I am not sure how I would go about selling mine, maybe consigning so that I can get most of the profit, but not have to deal with the risks of selling privately (wire transfer issues or fraudulent checks).
Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate it when financial reality kicks in.

I’ve been following your progress because I’m on a similar path looking at more practical cars than my Boxster Spyder. I don’t plan to sell the Arachnid though.

And I too prefer buying 2-3 year old cars off lease. Porsche CPO buys you 2 extra years of warranty with usually 25-30% off msrp. I don’t mind being the 2nd or 3rd guy on the title. I know some guys are particular about that but I have never bought a new Porsche.

Good luck as the quest continues...
Old 01-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 225 Posts

Over the years I’ve realized that while a dealer trade-in is more simple, if you keep your cars in excellent condition it’s much better to list here or on forums and sell them privately. There are tons of enthusiasts out there who are looking for clean cars and when priced fairly the good ones don’t last long.

But the T and sell the other car privately. Or perhaps you’re not there mentally yet to let go do the old girl :-)

Regardless good luck with the process. It’s truly half of the fun.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:09 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Dealer trade on a now 8 year old car is never going to be pleasant. I'd contact BAT and see where they'd recommend the reserve, do a little research here and elsewhere on recent transactions, and then *wait* until April/May to sell the droptop. January market is where summer toy deals are in the buyer's favor for sure.

cheers!
Good idea on BAT. Such a great resource.

Originally Posted by Bxstr
$25k below retail? Is that actually what dealers offer? I figured a $5-10k hit but if a dealer is really looking to make that much, I am not sure how I would go about selling mine, maybe consigning so that I can get most of the profit, but not have to deal with the risks of selling privately (wire transfer issues or fraudulent checks).
Love the simplicity of a dealer trade. So much more secure, no hassle with taxes, wire transfers etc... I've used a local independent dealer twice now to broker a transaction for me. And that's another way to go - find a buyer and have the dealership broker the deal. Now sure if the official dealership will take on such a project. Will ask.

Originally Posted by crossroads
I hate it when financial reality kicks in.

I’ve been following your progress because I’m on a similar path looking at more practical cars than my Boxster Spyder. I don’t plan to sell the Arachnid though.

And I too prefer buying 2-3 year old cars off lease. Porsche CPO buys you 2 extra years of warranty with usually 25-30% off msrp. I don’t mind being the 2nd or 3rd guy on the title. I know some guys are particular about that but I have never bought a new Porsche.

Good luck as the quest continues...
This is where they were coming from. It was going to take some $$$ to get it up to CPO state. And in their minds the unusual color (Arctic Silver / Red), the MT, and the LWBS were just "nice" options. I think I'll just keep him in the pen!

In the meantime, buying a new car is not something I usually do. But there's very very few T's coming in yet.

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Over the years I’ve realized that while a dealer trade-in is more simple, if you keep your cars in excellent condition it’s much better to list here or on forums and sell them privately. There are tons of enthusiasts out there who are looking for clean cars and when priced fairly the good ones don’t last long.

But the T and sell the other car privately. Or perhaps you’re not there mentally yet to let go do the old girl :-)

Regardless good luck with the process. It’s truly half of the fun.
Now we're talking and I am very tempted. Actually planning on starting the process today. And I agree, the process of looking at a new Porsche is half the fun. Keeps me busy during these winter months...
Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Well, here's a little update. I got reading through Pete Stout's review of the T vs GT3 and as many other posts on it (it's gathered a lot of commentary!) as I could get through and came the conclusion that 1. It's a GREAT car with 2. a questionable shortcoming - the brakes. So I decided to spec out a new one, a driver's "stripper" (questionable when you actually see it) in basic white but with PCCBs, LWBS, RAS (I'm a bit on the fence on this but what a cool piece of technology) and a couple of other goodies like Carrera Sport Wheels and Porsche Entry and Drive. No sunroof, no rear glass, no heated seats etc...

Anyone know the weights of the Carrera Sport Wheels vs the Carrera S?

Check it out:

I'm about to throw a deposit on this and see IF the dealer can get a slot. Fingers crossed. This also gives me some time to contemplate the fate of my current P-cars.

So I'm buying time by buying a new car. There's some "fuzzy" logic to this, right?

Quick Reply: Heading out tomorrow morning for a CT scan...