Sponsored by:

Anyone swap a 3.4 to 3.8 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

Only different between the base and the S is the engine and breaks (recognizing that I do not know if there is a difference in gearing in the transmission). I also agree it’s unlikely my engine will blow, but just thinking out loud
...and PASM/PTV come standard on S (Can you even OPTION PTV on a base - I’m serious, don’t know). I’m not “knocking” the base - I have one of each and enjoy them both immensely.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:45 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1

...and PASM/PTV come standard on S (Can you even OPTION PTV on a base - I’m serious, don’t know). I’m not “knocking” the base - I have one of each and enjoy them both immensely.
Got it. I think PTV may be an option on a base if you also order PASM and/or Sport PASM, but not entirely certain. I was just thinking a bigger engine should just naturally fit if, for any reason, my engine goes kaput. To simply switch engines, I agree that it’s probably not worth it, but for those who need a replacement engine and it’s not covered under warranty, upgrading may be a solution (whether it is Jake at Flat 6 or an OEM bigger engine with BGB). Also, I never heard of any engine fromJake Ruby Flat 6 going bad.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

Got it. I think PTV may be an option on a base if you also order PASM and/or Sport PASM, but not entirely certain. I was just thinking a bigger engine should just naturally fit if, for any reason, my engine goes kaput. To simply switch engines, I agree that it’s probably not worth it, but for those who need a replacement engine and it’s not covered under warranty, upgrading may be a solution (whether it is Jake at Flat 6 or an OEM bigger engine with BGB). Also, I never heard of any engine fromJake Ruby Flat 6 going bad.
Thank you. We’ve lost a small handful of engines over the years. All of them were based on the M96/M97 and usually driver error was the culprit, or someone didn’t listen to my mandates, or both. In 100% of these cases NONE of the engines were still under warranty. One of them was 75 hours over it’s expected lifespan and had failed a used oil analysis just before it finally gave up- the driver was warned, but decided to forego the warning because the “car still ran fine”. I was able to predict it’s death.

We have not experienced a 9a1 failure yet, but l am sure the first one is coming. When you do enough, and push the envelope enough, the law of averages will get you at some point. I don’t take the easy and safe route, the very first 9a1 that we finished in February of 2010 and we took it straight to 4.2 liters, which at the time was as big as we could go. That car had 11 miles on it when l pulled the engine out and ripped it apart. At that time there were no manuals available, so we had to figure it all out on our own. This is a painful experience for a developer, but we learned a ton in a very compressed period of time.

As far as what to do, swapping an engine for something bigger from the factory is the way that most people will go. This is quicker, and cheaper to do. BGB has done a great job with optimizing this “swap” and working out the bugs. I tend not to swing this way and that’s only because l like to build things my own way, and not settle for what the factory gives us to work with. We have taken a couple of these cars to the next level after they were swapped, and that worked out well too.

Theres others out there that want something that’s built by hand, and developed to perform at a different level. That’s who usually comes our way. At the end of the day it’s all in what you want to do, and what you appreciate. There are options now that have come along with time, but nothing pre- dates internal exploration with these engines.

Today the 9a1 has gotten some maturity and we are seeing more and more inquiries due to mileage and time in service. I added more 9a1 classes to our class curriculum this year as shops are dying to learn about the internals of this engine.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:42 AM
kikcaffine
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going to motor swap it, why bother waiting till the CPO ended?
Old 01-07-2019, 12:12 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I know he has a great reputation and this is only one sample out of many, but a close friend of ours who has a Raby 3.8 in his 986 Boxster has been having tons of issues with his engine. I'd avoid this route if you can.
These cut and run comments always get me. I'm sure we can all agree that nothing is perfect and even the best technology will eventually fail. I would love more specifics on your friend's 986 3.8 too. (I have a friend that's wanting to buy a Boxster and put a larger motor in it) Anyway, I've known people that complain all the time about their cars and find it easy to blame the last hands on the car. It always makes me laugh when I hear someone say, "It ran fine yesterday!"

"I just took my car for 40K miles service at the dealership last month and now my car won't start! Sorry, no good shop!!!" Uh, I'm like, "Did you check the battery?" Replies, "Umm, no." After testing the battery, it shows insufficient current under load. Ugh! Replaced the battery, car starts fine. (facepalm)

"My car is running sluggish. It had to be those folks at Jiffy Lube that changed my oil!" Later find out that person bought cheap gas and had to cleanse it will a couple of cans of Seafoam.

On and on it goes.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Thanks for popping in Jake. I told Charles over the weekend all hell was breaking loss over here, and I'm glad you helped to set the record straight.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:49 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dporsche74
Now my CPO is over and i see very low mileage 991 3.8 engine complete on Ebay for super cheap .. Has anyone installed the 3.8S engine into a 3.4 ?

What does it take to install a S engine like the old days ? All i can think of is the 3.8 computer with wiring harness and and 3.8 engine..

thanks much !!!
DO NOT create a FrankenPorsche. We love our cars and will do a lot of sh*t to them. But there is a tipping point. You need to stay away from major drivetrain "upgrades". If you don't like what you have, trade it in.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:55 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

Not sure who this may be, but there’s been no reports here of such an instance. Based on this poster's location I can only think of one possible car. After a trip to his local mechanic, the car caught fire. I gave him over 1,000.00 worth of ancillary components to fix it- for free (4+ years after we saw the car last). Haven't heard much since then, and nothing recently, or at least in the last 3-4 months. We built that engine around 5+ years ago, IF thats the one. Can't think of any other that it could be.

I’d appreciate it if he could contact me.
Hi Jake,

I don't want to get into the "he said she said" of things; it really wouldn't be my place; the owner would contact you if need be. I neither own the car nor do I know all the facts. I do believe it's the same car we're talking about - if I remember correctly, last season he was adding quite a bit of oil on a regular basis, and on another occasion I saw the same car at a local shop with a sagging engine due to bad motor mounts. It just didn't strike me as a reliable vehicle or a healthy engine, but that's only my impression, nothing more. I believe you're correct that the engine has been built a while ago, and it does see some track use, but presumably a lot of your engines do. I do not know what kind of warranty was provided.

It was not my intention to badmouth anyone's shop so I do apologize for my comment which came off that way, I think the "all hell breaking loose" comment is a bit over the top where only two people mentioned anecdotal items - you guys should continue to enjoy the reputation you've built on your own terms and I doubt one/two cars out of many would do much to harm to that.

I do think it's fair for us to make people understand that going down the rabbit hole of an engine swap or bore/stroking an engine to a larger displacement is a serious undertaking and consequently it results in a different ownership experience. It's for the "accredited investors" of the car world if you will.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Hi Jake,

I don't want to get into the "he said she said" of things; it really wouldn't be my place; the owner would contact you if need be.
The last contact we had with this person was 8.29.18 which was an email telling them to respond with a time when I could call them back, as I had missed their phone call earlier that day.

I neither own the car nor do I know all the facts. I do believe it's the same car we're talking about - if I remember correctly, last season he was adding quite a bit of oil on a regular basis, and on another occasion I saw the same car at a local shop with a sagging engine due to bad motor mounts. It just didn't strike me as a reliable vehicle or a healthy engine, but that's only my impression, nothing more.
This instance only occurred after the car caught fire and had to have all the engine ancillaries replaced after it had left a local shop. Again, the work we did to this car was done more than 5 years ago, and the car had seen extensive track time during that period. Who knows who worked on it, how it was maintained, or etc. Lots can happen in this period of time. The car went to more than one shop.
At the end of the day, after the fire I gave this owner over 1,000.00 worth of ancillary components to fix the fire damage for FREE. He didn't even have to ask me for them! The owner paid us 53.67 for shipping of the components that we had given to him on 4.11.2017.

No good deed goes unpunished in 2019, does it? Nothing is ever enough for the modern human.
The engine mounts didn't come from us, those are on Porsche. The car is 19 years old, so wouldn't you think that its due for some engine mounts? We don't offer engine mounts with our engine- FYI.

I believe you're correct that the engine has been built a while ago, and it does see some track use, but presumably a lot of your engines do. I do not know what kind of warranty was provided.
One year unlimited mileage, ending as soon as any track time was experienced, and understood in writing up front. This is my warranty policy 100% of the time, since 1998. "Track time" is defined as "any activity requiring a helmet to be worn by the driver". This is also stated up front, and is very clear. Some people end their warranty early by going to the track- others do not.

It was not my intention to badmouth anyone's shop so I do apologize for my comment which came off that way, I think the "all hell breaking loose" comment is a bit over the top where only two people mentioned anecdotal items -
Well, not sure why you added this to your statement, then?
I'd avoid this route if you can.
Not really sure how else someone in my position could accept that statement any other way.

you guys should continue to enjoy the reputation you've built on your own terms and I doubt one/two cars out of many would do much to harm to that.
No. You don't understand. This isn't a rehearsal, second chances are not extended.

One report is too many, whether it's real, or not, and whether "the rest of the story" is told, or not. For years to come people doing their due diligence about my program will read what you've wrote (which has never been written anywhere, ever before) and I will have to explain this to them, and provide them with factual information to prove what has occurred. Luckily, I retained this factual information, and can share this to validate the instance.

I do think it's fair for us to make people understand that going down the rabbit hole of an engine swap or bore/stroking an engine to a larger displacement is a serious undertaking and consequently it results in a different ownership experience. It's for the "accredited investors" of the car world if you will.
In reference to my program, and what it creates- that's my job. I developed the engine, and I know it's every benefit, every quirk, and how the exhaust should smell. It is, and has been my life (not a "job") since the age of 13 when I had my first paying customer for a Porsche engine (914). No one else can explain this like I can, which is why I do not employ a salesperson for engines- I sell them all personally. There's no question that I can't answer immediately, from my memory.

Don't worry- the last thing I want to do is to sell someone an engine that they don't understand, because that person could never be pleased, and that is what kills a reputation. I tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear, and I do so in a forward, respectful, and concise manner. As I write this I just received a message from someone wanting to know if my engine is for them, based on their list of requirements. The answer they will hear is NO, and that they should trade their car in for a newer one. Could I be all warm and fuzzy and tell them what I know isn't true, and open their wallet to fill mine? Yes, more than likely. I won't do it, because the money isn't worth it, and I value my character.

At any rate, it is not fair to the OP and others who are reading this thread for 991 technical advantage to have to read anything about a Boxster, or a 996, or what one engine builder has experienced. We all owe them an apology for hijacking this thread. I'll be the first. I'm sorry.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 01-09-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The last contact we had with this person was 8.29.18 which was an email telling them to respond with a time when I could call them back, as I had missed their phone call earlier that day.

This instance only occurred after the car caught fire and had to have all the engine ancillaries replaced after it had left a local shop. Again, the work we did to this car was done more than 5 years ago, and the car had seen extensive track time during that period. Who knows who worked on it, how it was maintained, or etc. Lots can happen in this period of time. The car went to more than one shop.
At the end of the day, after the fire I gave this owner over 1,000.00 worth of ancillary components to fix the fire damage for FREE. He didn't even have to ask me for them! The owner paid us 53.67 for shipping of the components that we had given to him on 4.11.2017.

No good deed goes unpunished in 2019, does it? Nothing is ever enough for the modern human.
The engine mounts didn't come from us, those are on Porsche. The car is 19 years old, so wouldn't you think that its due for some engine mounts? We don't offer engine mounts with our engine- FYI.

One year unlimited mileage, ending as soon as any track time was experienced, and understood in writing up front. This is my warranty policy 100% of the time, since 1998. "Track time" is defined as "any activity requiring a helmet to be worn by the driver. This is also stated up front, and is very clear. Some people end their warranty early by going to the track- others do not.

Well, not sure why you added this to your statement, then?

Not really sure how else someone in my position could accept that statement any other way.

No. You don't understand. This isn't a rehearsal, second chances are not extended.

One report is too many, whether it's real, or not, and whether "the rest of the story" is told, or not. For years to come people doing their due diligence about my program will read what you've wrote (which has never been written anywhere, ever before) and I will have to explain this to them, and provide them with factual information to prove what has occurred. Luckily, I retained this factual information, and can share this to validate the instance.

In reference to my program, and what it creates- that's my job. I developed the engine, and I know it's every benefit, every quirk, and how the exhaust should smell. It is, and has been my life (not a "job") since the age of 13 when I had my first paying customer for a Porsche engine (914). No one else can explain this like I can, which is why I do not employ a salesperson for engines- I sell them all personally. There's no question that I can't answer immediately, from my memory.
Don't worry- the last thing I want to do is to sell someone an engine that they don't understand, because that person could never be pleased, and that is what kills a reputation. I tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear, and I do so in a forward, respectful, and concise manner. As I write this I just received a message from someone wanting to know if my engine is for them, based on their list of requirements. The answer they will hear is NO, and that they should trade their car in for a newer one. Could I be all warm and fuzzy and tell them what I know isn't true, and open their wallet to fill mine? Yes, more than likely. I won't do it, because the money isn't worth it, and I value my character.

At any rate, it is not fair to the OP and others who are reading this thread for 991 technical advantage to have to read anything about a Boxster, or a 996, or what one engine builder has experienced. We all owe them an apology for hijacking this thread. I'll be the first. I'm sorry.
Honestly,Integrity,and Customer Support is a Great Business Model !
Thanks for your input Jake.
Cman21

Quick Reply: Anyone swap a 3.4 to 3.8 yet?