Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farah and Demuro trash talks Rennlist and I'm loving it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019 | 03:25 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by stout
Hero status.

These are the most interesting cars to me. A stock car is a commodity, and likely to be seen elsewhere. A tastefully modified car is always fun to consider—particularly as Porsche's designers are hampered by legality issues as well as management decisions they have to respect...or popularity among consumers. I love alternate routes, and some of the cars on the Das Renntreffen galleries are fascinating for me to look at.

Ha. Even at the local PCA events there is definitely a group that view me as an outcast with their 100% OEM air-cooled cars. I have full plenum, filters, headers, exhaust, tune, Coilovers(barely lowered ~ 3/4"), transmission mounts, GT3 sways and bbi suspension bearing kit plus lots of minor aesthetic things like clear side markers, SPASM lip, Black headlight vinyl surrounds and a handful of other aesthetic things that any lay person would never know wasn't OEM. The car is completely transformed in terms of handling, power and looks. But.... hardcore OEMphiles hate it. Don't care.
Old 01-04-2019 | 03:27 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Well, these guys do run a podcast and this kinda stuff draws clicks and views. And you know what, they're right. The non-driver threads are TIRESOME. Also, they have both been really successful at it, and that is not easy to do. Their target demographic may not be weighted entirely to the common porsche owner. Even though both of THEM sure like to have higher end cars :-) So they are in that target demographic.

I'm with Pete on the evolution here... my 'new car' is a 2016 spyder. Really love that thing. The driving dynamics are fantastic.
What would be next 'newer' car for me? I'm not sure it's a GT car, I skipped the 991 generation. having driven a lot of them, I just didn't connect.
Maybe a 991T, maybe a base 992? New spyder? not sure...
Frankly I'm having more fun with the old stuff now.
Old 01-04-2019 | 06:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I agree on the value threads...

However, most of us are new owners and much of our thoughts are captured in a ton of reviews already done. Check out the 911 T Owners thread with all of the links. Additionally, many of us current and former GT car owners love it's split personality and comment in posts instead of their own threads...such as:

Absolutely. There are also many threads about the car itself and the driving experience. I think the T is an awesome car, and I'm happy Porsche built it. It just seems to me that too many people get caught up on the future value and/or collectibility of the car and they forget that. Will it be collectible one day? I have no idea. Nobody does. It's all speculation. People seem to be ready to argue about that as opposed to talking about the car. That's the only point that I was trying to make. Personally, I'm not saving my car for the next guy. I'm driving it because I love it. I don't make decisions about options or modifications based on potential future value; I make them based on what I want out of a car.
Old 01-05-2019 | 10:10 AM
jkfuel
Racer

Listened to the podcast; interesting thoughts but I agree that the value posts drag from time to time. At the same time there's tons of information being shared with those discussions!
Old 01-05-2019 | 10:44 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Absolutely. There are also many threads about the car itself and the driving experience. I think the T is an awesome car, and I'm happy Porsche built it. It just seems to me that too many people get caught up on the future value and/or collectibility of the car and they forget that. Will it be collectible one day? I have no idea. Nobody does. It's all speculation. People seem to be ready to argue about that as opposed to talking about the car. That's the only point that I was trying to make. Personally, I'm not saving my car for the next guy. I'm driving it because I love it. I don't make decisions about options or modifications based on potential future value; I make them based on what I want out of a car.
I'm with you brother! My Carrera T arrived in October with snows and she's my daily driver! I'm at 3400kms and one oil change already...
Old 01-05-2019 | 11:02 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I'm with you brother! My Carrera T arrived in October with snows and she's my daily driver! I'm at 3400kms and one oil change already...
Awesome. My Turbo S cabriolet is also wearing winter rubber right now, and I drive it any chance I get!
Old 01-05-2019 | 11:13 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I wonder if Porsche is making the same mistake Apple has made, which is to carry the whole premium-pricing thing a step too far. Both companies seem to be looking to capture more value than they contribute.

The parallels are striking. Apple removes their headphone jacks, adds some irrelevant features that no one asked for, and jacks up the price, all while complaining bitterly about owners who have the audacity to change their batteries instead of buying a new iPhone. Porsche downgrades the PDK shifter, cheaps out on the interior materials, commits various design missteps, adds some irrelevant features that no one asked for, and jacks up the price as well as the size and weight... and you can bet that dealer service on the remaining ICE-based drivetrains is only going to get more expensive and harder to avoid going forward.

Should Porsche expect a different outcome than Apple is seeing, in either the Chinese or North American markets?
Great point. Porsche is one of the most profitable car companies, and I remember when Apple was on top too. I bought into all new iPhone upgrades. Until now. I have an iPhone 7 Plus and it’s still a great device. The cost for my wife and I to replace our phone with the news one would be $3,000 (including tax and new car mounts). I can buy a nice used Mazda 3 for that price. No thanks.

Let’s see if Porsche profit starts to tank here in a few years, potentially offset by the Mission E stuff, which could propel them or hinder them, depending on politics and culture picking electric cars or gas here into the near future.
Old 01-05-2019 | 11:16 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

The value posts get old. These cars being an investment is kinda dumb. Investments are in rental real estate and stock market, not cars. I sold my air-cooled for 3X less than it’s worth today, and people are always asking me if I regret it. It’s so dumb that value is not correlated with TCO. If I factor in holding an aircooled car for 10 years from a TCO perspective, I made/lost zero dollars. Now THAT is the value proposition people should be focused on - sell a nice Porsche for the same amount that you paid. That’s where the value is.
Old 01-05-2019 | 05:09 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Listened to the podcast and although I agree to some of the points they make, I do not think the PTS or deviated stitching discussions are to show-off. We are just a grown-up boys who love our toys. It is a hobby and Love which are behind those discussions
Also, the newer the model is the less technical the discussion is, as there is not much (yet) to talk about on a technical side when everything is new and under factory warranty. Once out of warranty and PTO, we see a lot more of technical how-tos and mod threads. Just go to 996/997 sections. It is expected, isn't it?

As for investment discussions, yes I assume there are some owners who are after ROI, but IMO majority of Porsche models are not the best choice for an investment (GT3 included). Perhaps some of these threads are just for understanding at which point to jump to a new model, as some of the guys are always after the latest (and IMO, unfortunately these days, not necessarily) the greatest model.

I also very much agreed to what others have said about Porsche direction.
And BTW I do not own any Apple products. I leave it up to my wife
Old 01-05-2019 | 06:00 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

Originally Posted by pfbz
Those guys are marginally tolerable on their own when actually driving a car, but putting them together on a podcast is like nails on a chalkboard...
+1. DeMuro’s videos are fun when he sticks to “quirks and features”, but when he tries to get serious it becomes obvious he doesn’t know much.
Old 01-05-2019 | 07:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
The forums here are more and more becoming "investment discussions" and less and less about the simple joy of driving a Porsche.
That has been the case here on Rennlist for ages. WTF cares what their car is worth. If you are worried about depreciation, buy a Hyundai Accent. And why would I pay more than list for a used car? Duhhh!

These days if you want a Normally Aspirated car from Porsche, you have one choice. The GT3. Glad I didn't because the 2015 GTS in a manual I bought last August with a mere 101 miles on it is a better street car. I basically bought a new car and I didn't pay some over inflated price for it.

As for real Porsche people, you gotta have wanted a 911 when they first came out. I was a bit too young back then to own one.

Last edited by IXLR8; 01-05-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2019 | 09:19 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

They’re not wrong. I cringe when I see discussions on here about people asking what exclusive options they should get for their GT3 order. Just drive the f-in car.
Old 01-05-2019 | 09:53 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
They’re not wrong. I cringe when I see discussions on here about people asking what exclusive options they should get for their GT3 order. Just drive the f-in car.
lol, I’m with you on that.
Old 01-06-2019 | 01:48 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
I am certainly guilty of enjoying the configurator, PTS and CXX threads, but I view them as the closest any of the 991 boards get to tech discussions 99% of the time. I live for tech and have done everything from chassis replacements to transmission rebuilds on other vehicles. I also think things that you touch and see are often as important to enjoyment as the driving experience. And what else are you going to do while you wait for your car?
Old 01-10-2019 | 03:52 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Ha. Even at the local PCA events there is definitely a group that view me as an outcast with their 100% OEM air-cooled cars. I have full plenum, filters, headers, exhaust, tune, Coilovers(barely lowered ~ 3/4"), transmission mounts, GT3 sways and bbi suspension bearing kit plus lots of minor aesthetic things like clear side markers, SPASM lip, Black headlight vinyl surrounds and a handful of other aesthetic things that any lay person would never know wasn't OEM. The car is completely transformed in terms of handling, power and looks. But.... hardcore OEMphiles hate it. Don't care.
Well I didn't even bother watching the vid. That's how little I care for the opinion of journo's. They just want to incite and have people argue and watch. I don't care what they say. I don't care what my car is worth. It's my car, and I will mod the hell out of it. I will make it exactly how i want it, which is damn fast and exciting. I showed up to a Porsche Club meeting. I was the only 991.2 (Only 991 for that matter) No one spoke to me. I looked at a few of the cooler air cooled ones. Had a coffee and left.

Totally fine with that. Plenty of guys talk to me at the track. I find handing someone their *** at the track is always a great ice breaker. I love all 911's. I love highly individualised and Modded ones even better.
I see configuration as mods. It's all good. Couldn't give a toss how much any of them are worth. The only thing that makes me laugh is the T's (I love the T's) but I don't drink the cool aid that they will be worth more money.

Here is a big hint. They are the cheapest 911, so they allow more people to buy them. If they start as the cheapest 911, they will end as the cheapest 911. Its just a base. The base will always be popular. No one will be selling the GT3 to rush in and pay over price for a T. But I really don't care. The second hand market that wants a T, actually wants the cheapest entry level 911. Pump more of them out. Everyone should enjoy the pleasure of a 911.

I wouldn't be buying a T thinking it will go up in value. But what do I know. I wouldn't be buying any P car to go up in value. I buy them to mod and drive the tyres off them.

Quick Reply: Farah and Demuro trash talks Rennlist and I'm loving it!