Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farah and Demuro trash talks Rennlist and I'm loving it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019 | 11:52 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

I ordered my car with painted vents and if they were free I still would have since I like the way they look, and virtually no one sees my car other than my wife so I could care less about trying to impress someone. I think there are a lot of 911 owners like me, and many are here on Rennlist. As I have said before, my car is my hobby and I am always thinking about what little thing I can do next, which no one will see except for me (my wife doesn't even see a lot of what I do!). And in regards to depreciation, what people pay and what they think it will be worth, IDGAF, and again, many others here feel the same way. I come here to talk about my hobby with others that are like me, and there are more of us than the opposite.
Old 01-04-2019 | 11:53 AM
Randy M
Drifting

I dont know what Farah's background is but Demuro came out of Jalopnik, was owned by Gawker, the liberal bastion of blogging at the time and continues to be with it's new ownership. Blog after blog at Jalopnik the theme was always "I'll never be able to afford this", always talking about rich people and others having more than they do etc. Sprinkle some Trump angst here and there and you have Jalopnik. Farah went off on Trump during Rogan's podcast and basically said that he voted for anyone that wasn't white during the last election. So you know the types now and the perspective they come from.
Old 01-04-2019 | 12:01 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

If I recall correctly, During Farahs old video of the Aston Martin Vantage v12- he actually suggesting it would hold its value or appreciate In value.

Kettle meet pot
Old 01-04-2019 | 12:32 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

"You know what's gonna be rare? The base Carrera 2"....

Yeah me !!!! ;-)
Old 01-04-2019 | 01:12 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

Thank you for posting this article/link. After 5+ years of being a member here I was beginning to think I was some sort of handicapped Rennlister having only owned 2 base models with out PASM, colored dash/matching carbon fiber tail pipes and yellow markers. Some of the members here have been incredibly helpful and supportive, most others simply critics bashing my ignorance which reflects the large learning curve of these high performance sports cars.
Old 01-04-2019 | 01:30 PM
Randy M
Drifting

It really isn't all that different here than it was back in the early 00's. Back then you had a group of guys pushing their weight around as being all knowing and superior as well. Unfortunately it is part of the Porsche persona that many see as stereotypical.
Old 01-04-2019 | 01:43 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

They're just trying to divide us! Track rats over here and deviated stitching over there!

Sigh. I don't care if you want to weld your own roll cage or want to make custom leather shifter boots - it's all good. I just come to this forum because I of a whole bunch of folks who love their Porsche.
Old 01-04-2019 | 01:54 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does Doug know that the 991 doesn’t have a parking brake handle? Apparently not. LOL.

And Farah admits that leather covered vents in Chalk are cool.

Vacuous. All of it. Talking heads generating ‘clicks.’
Old 01-04-2019 | 01:55 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Glad I have one of those rare and collectible Carrera T’s :-)
Old 01-04-2019 | 02:25 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

At one time 6speed had all the forum traffic and rennlist was a purist site where coming as a newbie was dangerous water. But knowledge base is very high with a significant amount of high rollers. When you can work your way through the clutter there is a wealth of information here about the cars we love and a community of really great helpful guys.
If I had to listen to those 2 guys to get my car info fix I'd shoot myself. Rather be here navigating the bickering to get real experience info and some humor.
Old 01-04-2019 | 02:26 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Doesn't seem like they're trash-talking RL so much as harpooning that which is easily harpooned: us. There are a lot of goofy threads on RL, and the GT value prop-up threads are tiresome in the face of the commonality of those (great) cars. It's a no-win situation for Porsche in terms of perception (though a very big win in terms of profit), as they are now producing GT cars in huge numbers but there still aren't enough to mitigate ADM etc. in North America, and they're also taking it on the chin for making too many (usually from people who want the value of their cars to stay unnaturally high). Then there are matters of supply, though these have been worked out again and again and again. Look at the numbers built.

But…none of this addresses something I think is the real driver here: Porsche "failed" to protect us from what we want. Go back to the 996 and early 997 days, and you didn't get much substantive choice when it came to the cars, and by "substantive" I mean options that really changed the way a particular model drove. An automatic transmission and wheel size was about it. US M030 was watered down, and came at the same lame ride height. The enthusiast was left to the aftermarket. Sport seats? Kinda. Proper buckets? Nope. Sport exhaust. Nope, or, later, meh. Short shifters? Nope, or at least not until B&M got smart—which was later on. RAS? A distant idea. -20mm suspension? RoW only. Gearing changes per model? Nope. Active engine mounts? Sport Chrono that really changes things? Front axle lift? And the list goes on.

The numbers were fewer, too, so differentiation wasn't as big a deal, and the colors were pretty good back then. The color offerings, particularly in the 991 era, have been weak imo. The usual white, black, Guards Red, and bright yellow plus another non-metallic red, two silvers, a metallic black, one gray, a dark blue, and a few other colors that ranged from interesting to so-so depending on one's taste. A bright blue that paled next to Mexico or Acid of old, an orange that only looks good on some models and looks salmon on others, etc. Ergo…an explosion of PTS demand, also fueled by some who were less interested in the color than reinforcing their GT cars' future values for resale.

Just my two cents...

…and, for what it's worth, my personal interest in Porsche shifted in the 991.2 generation to the Carrera-line and Turbo models. The 991.2 GT3 may be one of the best yet, and it is amazing when driven as intended along snow-lined alps for a day in freezing temperatures, but I think some of the cooking Carreras are more rounded and now seriously fun to drive. There is also the matter of cost and "preciousness," which go against use (at least for me). I am almost more interested when I see a well-specced 991.2 Carrera Cabriolet in the wild than when I see another GT3 at an event. Seriously. There's a triple-black car around here that looks GREAT with not much in the way of options, and as much as I am coupe guy when it comes to 911s, I have to say that car looks fantastic and would add another dimension to quick squirts up a decent road I run a few minutes from my house.

We're spoiled for choice right now when it comes to 911s...so it's no surprise that people here dig deep into the configurations. I got it wrong with my GT4 (should have gotten PCCB) and wrong again with my first 991.2 Carrera (should have gotten SC for the engine mounts, and I prefer the steering wheel rotary ****…front axle lift is nice, too).

Like I said, it was simpler back in the 996 and 997 era. You just ordered a Carrera, GT3, or?

Last edited by stout; 01-04-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2019 | 02:33 PM
garfunkle
Banned

My slow 991.1 is modded like crazy - which severely impacts the resale value. I guess I'm doing it wrong. Also, I drove it in the rain like 4 times.
Old 01-04-2019 | 02:43 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
My slow 991.1 is modded like crazy - which severely impacts the resale value. I guess I'm doing it wrong. Also, I drove it in the rain like 4 times.
Hero status.

These are the most interesting cars to me. A stock car is a commodity, and likely to be seen elsewhere. A tastefully modified car is always fun to consider—particularly as Porsche's designers are hampered by legality issues as well as management decisions they have to respect...or popularity among consumers. I love alternate routes, and some of the cars on the Das Renntreffen galleries are fascinating for me to look at.
Old 01-04-2019 | 02:54 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
We're spoiled for choice right now when it comes to 911s...
Actually, all Porsches. But, that’s exactly why I like them so much: I can pick features individually rather than being forced to take a package with one feature I want, four I don’t and one I can’t stand.

What amuses me is all the existential what-will-other-people-think-about-my-choices angst.

What? Don’t like my option choices? Fine. I ain’t gonna lose any sleep on it.

On another note, I agree with the logic of your PTS ruminations: a larger palette would dcrease some of the PTS demand. But, there would still be some ‘rich guys that need to distinguish themselves from other rich guys’ that would choose PTS (even a hideous color) if it would result in uniqueness.
Old 01-04-2019 | 03:09 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Look at the Carrera T threads for examples. Many threads on the Carrera T are about future values, and about how the Carrera T will be an ultra-desirable collector car at some point. There aren’t as many threads about how great it is to drive one.Where’s the joy in that?
I agree on the value threads...

However, most of us are new owners and much of our thoughts are captured in a ton of reviews already done. Check out the 911 T Owners thread with all of the links. Additionally, many of us current and former GT car owners love it's split personality and comment in posts instead of their own threads...such as:

Quick Reply: Farah and Demuro trash talks Rennlist and I'm loving it!