Sponsored by:

Proper Battery Tender hook-up on 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 02:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dog
It says to always jumpstart and to never hook up battery chargers to the negative battery terminal and instead use the negative grounding post by the driver's side of the car.
You mean the Youtube video says. What does Porsche say in a bulletin? And in the video, he is using a battery pack and not a running vehicle to jump start it. When using a running vehicle to jump start your vehicle, yes there are precautions to take and not just for a sensor.

I do not see how attaching a spare battery (or a battery pack) to the installed battery makes any difference to a sensor. And since my battery maintainers are connected to each battery post, no issues there either.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:14 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Although there are instructions for jump starting, I couldnt find anything on low amperage trickle chargers from Porsche. Then i saw that video and because I could not find anything from Porsche on trickle charges, I posted here. Currently I have the quick adapter hooked directly to the battery posts. The chsrger is on a power strip I always turn off before plugging or unplugging it to the car. I was hoping i was safe but just making sure

Originally Posted by IXLR8
You mean the Youtube video says. What does Porsche say in a bulletin? And in the video, he is using a battery pack and not a running vehicle to jump start it. When using a running vehicle to jump start your vehicle, yes there are precautions to take and not just for a sensor.

I do not see how attaching a spare battery (or a battery pack) to the installed battery makes any difference to a sensor. And since my battery maintainers are connected to each battery post, no issues there either.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:18 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 538 Posts

Attaching low amp chargers to the battery posts is not going to cause any issue.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dog
Currently I have the quick adapter hooked directly to the battery posts.
Best way to have it really.

A friend of mine with an E30 BMW lost his ~$1500 ECU during a jump start from another vehicle. Back then, there were no specific instructions on how to go about it in the owner's manual; there are now. Anyone designing the ECU should at least put some over-voltage protection in them...I am sure that has changed.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:30 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Given that winter is here in the Northeast I will not be driving my Carrera T very much. I am planning to hook-up one of my existing Deltran Battery Tenders to maintain the battery.

I plan to aligator clip direct to the battery. Safe to connect the negative directly to the negative terminal of the battery or should I connect to the body for ground?

i know that a lot of members have the Porsche AKA: CTEK charger which also can connect to the cigarette lighter socket but I prefer to use one of the Battery Tenders which I already own. My Battery Tenders are intelligent and support AGM batteries which I believe is the type of Battery Porsche installs from the factory.

Thanks.
Not quit what your asking but very useful.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:27 PM
ankuse
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like most people picked up extra bolts to directly hook up the battery tender to the battery (rather than using the existing bolt). Can someone let me know what the bolt size is? I didn't have one in the garage that fit it, thus need to pick 2 up.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:32 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by ankuse
It looks like most people picked up extra bolts to directly hook up the battery tender to the battery (rather than using the existing bolt). Can someone let me know what the bolt size is? I didn't have one in the garage that fit it, thus need to pick 2 up.
No bolts needed. Use the existing. What you need is an extra NUT to go on the existing bolts. I simply used two M6-1.0 Stainless Steel nuts (77 cents @ Home Depot) and piggybacked the existing connector threads. I also used a little removable thread locker and snugged them down.

991.2 Neg Terminal Connection

991.2 Battery Tender Hookup

This setup has worked well for me in both my 2019 (991.2) Targa, and 2015 (981) Cayman.

Take care and drive safe.

The following 2 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
quattroboy (09-24-2020), Rich_Jenkins (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 08:00 AM
realityintrudes
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
No bolts needed. Use the existing. What you need is an extra NUT to go on the existing bolts. I simply used two M6-1.0 Stainless Steel nuts (77 cents @ Home Depot) and piggybacked the existing connector threads. I also used a little removable thread locker and snugged them down.
*GREAT PIC* 991.2 Neg Terminal Connection
*GREAT PIC* 991.2 Battery Tender Hookup
Thank you so very much. The specifics accompanied by clear photos are so very helpful for those of us trying to wrap our heads around a very frequently posted topic. ri
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (02-19-2021)
Old 09-26-2020, 06:21 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

Why not use the cigarette lighter on those cars with that option. Both my '19's have charged great with CTEK charger all winter long. Same charger Porsche, Ferrari etc put their name on and double the price.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:31 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by white6speed
Why not use the cigarette lighter on those cars with that option. Both my '19's have charged great with CTEK charger all winter long. Same charger Porsche, Ferrari etc put their name on and double the price.
Good question........

My answer is that I already owned 3 Deltran Battery Tender Plus units that I move between the cars, lawn tractor, Wave Runners, etc... So having a quick connect going directly to the battery was the best option. This way I do not have to have the cigarette adapter, or run the cord out the door, risking seal damage, or leaving the window open, as the cord exits the hood by the wipers.

Maybe its just a matter of preference... Lots of good ways to get the same job done.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 09-26-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:09 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Good question........

My answer is that I already owned 3 Deltran Battery Tender Plus units that I move between the cars, lawn tractor, Wave Runners, etc... So having a quick connect going directly to the battery was the best option. This way I do not have to have the cigarette adapter, or run the cord out the door, risking seal damage, or leaving the window open, as the cord exits the hood by the wipers.

Maybe its just a matter of preference... Lots of good ways to get the same job done.

My thoughts exactly on the seal on the doors. Also, wondering on fender scuffs from the wiring running down the battery. Definitely many options to get the job done. I have used a cheap floater on a Cayenne for years with no issues. Decided on buying a CTEK for the 911 for fear of. LOL I did noticed the eye holes are way bigger than the bolts. Are you guys just using the ones that came with the charger or buying the smaller eye hole attachments?

Last edited by barrios35; 10-05-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:20 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by barrios35
My thoughts exactly on the seal on the doors. Also, wondering on fender scuffs from the wiring running down the battery. Definitely many option to get the job done. I have used a cheap floater on a Cayenne for years with no issues. Decided on buying a CTEK for the 911 for fear of. LOL I did noticed the eye holes are way bigger than the bolts. Are you guys just using the ones that came with the charger or buying the smaller eye hole attachments?
I just used the Direct to Battery Harness that came with the Deltran Battery Tender Plus unit. Works fine.....

Quick Reply: Proper Battery Tender hook-up on 991.2