Sponsored by:

Proper Battery Tender hook-up on 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo
I know the thread title says for 991.2, but, I leave my '13 991.1 in Scottsdale during the winter. I was last here in early December. I plugged the Porsche branded CTEK into the socket in the console. Returned last night to a totally dead battery. Stupid me. I didn't notice that when I plugged it in, the status light on the charger did not light (power light was on). I had an alligator clip to lighter adapter and hooked it up overnight and it charged the battery.

So, I found that the two lighters in the car (console and passenger footwell) do not connect.

Comments?
Originally Posted by WEM 911 C4S
That's interesting because the footwell outlet in my 2015 991 is powered when the car is off and I have my tender plugged into that location based on the recommendation of the dealer where I purchased the car.
Here's a cut and paste from SunCoastParts website:

Vehicle Specific Notes (updated):
  • 981, 991, & 718 - For 2013-2018 Boxster, Cayman, & 911 Carrera models: Long term storage can put these cars in "Sleep Mode", which will disable the center console plug socket and shut off the battery maintainer. To bypass this, lock the door after setting up the battery maintainer. Or directly connect the battery maintainer to the recommended charging points using the optional alligator clips.
  • Macan - "**" Macan models can't be charged at the 12 volt plugs inside the car. To bypass this, visit your local Porsche dealer and they can code your Macan to accept a battery maintainer. Or purchase the additional battery clamps and charge the battery directly.
Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Hardwire to battery and then you don't have to worry about the sockets. There are varying posts about sockets not working on some cars for whatever reason.
I went this route too after managing to kill my battery after an extended absence once too. With the nice socket hookup on the CTech chargers it is a nice clean way to go,
Old 01-22-2019, 02:31 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I found this winter storage checklist - thought it might be useful on this thread

A few odd suggestions - baking soda on a cookie sheet and steel wool in the exhaust pipes...
https://porschecentresaskatchewan.co...ecklist/18313/
Old 01-22-2019, 04:45 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Hardwire to battery and then you don't have to worry about the sockets.
Exactly and the same goes for the OBD connector. Why worry about differences between the battery and socket / OBD / chassis potentials. I would not even hook up my negative to a chassis ground point.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:35 PM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Here's a cut and paste from SunCoastParts website:

Vehicle Specific Notes (updated):
  • 981, 991, & 718 - For 2013-2018 Boxster, Cayman, & 911 Carrera models: Long term storage can put these cars in "Sleep Mode", which will disable the center console plug socket and shut off the battery maintainer. To bypass this, lock the door after setting up the battery maintainer. Or directly connect the battery maintainer to the recommended charging points using the optional alligator clips.
  • Macan - "**" Macan models can't be charged at the 12 volt plugs inside the car. To bypass this, visit your local Porsche dealer and they can code your Macan to accept a battery maintainer. Or purchase the additional battery clamps and charge the battery directly.

I went this route too after managing to kill my battery after an extended absence once too. With the nice socket hookup on the CTech chargers it is a nice clean way to go,

I did lock the door after the tender was hooked up. Didn't work.

Direct connect to the battery from now on.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 243 Posts

I hooked my Battery Tender direct to the Battery. Red to the positive battery terminal and black to the grounding point under the front hood access panel. After one day my tender light is green and the battery has reached maintenance mode. I am happy!
The following users liked this post:
mc3456 (09-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

On my 991.1 & 991.2, both with keyless entry, leaving the key fob in the house and then turning and leaving the dummy key "On", then plugging my CTEK 4.3 into the lighter socket seemed to work fine. The green light would come on in the usual 4-6 hours or so, and stay on.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adcampo
A few odd suggestions - baking soda on a cookie sheet and steel wool in the exhaust pipes...
https://porschecentresaskatchewan.co...ecklist/18313/
Instead of using steel wool, I use stainless steel pot scrubbers that do not rust. Been using them for years for the intake and exhaust on my motorcycles.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:20 PM
Mark-991.2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
Thanks for this, I wanted one with a power plug and this combined with their charger is perfect.
I have used this CTEK connector and my CTEK Battery Tender for the last 2-years without issue. I purchased it on online, it plugs into the center console cigarette lighter and is super easy and quick to plug-in and disconnect. Works great.
Mark

Old 01-24-2019, 06:36 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got my Battery Tender hooked up via 12v connector in the footwell. Locked the car and it's fine.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:17 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

i bought this: Battery Tender® Junior 12V 750mA Battery Charger with the cigarette lighter adapter to keep my battery healthy.

Interesting timing, when the tender arrived, another car i have that i dont drive (Yukon Denali XL) wouldnt start due to low battery. I plugged in the tender and stuck the adapter into the cigarette lighter and within an hour, the car started.

so cool... just my .02.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
You have an incorrect mental picture of the connector that the direct battery hookup uses., It isn't a cable "flopping around" with the possibility of causing a short. Somehow the designers of the product realized that would be a bad idea. Instead the connectors are nested inside the housing to prevent accidental contact and have a water-resistant boot that stays closed when not in use. Here's a couple of photos I've taken after pulling it up front under the edge of the hood. It's about as accessible and safe as you could get.
Nice pictures. I used to do it that way as well. I agree the connector is plenty stout but it's still an exposed and unsecured wire that's directly connected to the battery. Unfortunately all I see is the potential for the wires to get pinched or rub through the thin insulation. Maybe I'm more risk adverse...

Originally Posted by achtung6
This is how I have it in my car too. Don't have to open any door or trunk lid, or pass through any weather stripping. This solution has worked very well for me. I don't have to open the car to connect or disconnect the setup and I just put a "remove before flight" tag on the starter dummy key to let me know the charger is connected.
Only visible when I pull it out for charging and it's an always available direct connection to the battery. You could potentially check battery voltage or charge a USB device using the accessories Deltran sells that connect directly to the pig tail I have hard wired to the battery. I have the Porsche Tequipment charger but consider it a hassle to have to have it connected to the 12v socket in the passenger footwell since I park my car very close to the right side of the garage.
Agree the passenger footwell is not convenient. I have my setup so that when I pull in the garage I open the driver's door, grab the charging cable, pull open the fuse cover and insert. That's it. All while sitting in the driver's seat. Can't get much easier than that. No risk of bumping into the hood or fender.

Originally Posted by achtung6
I've not seen one of these.....but I'd prefer not to connect a battery charger to the car's OBD II port. As direct as possible to the battery seems better. Imagine a third party manufacturer's charger taking a crap while connected to your OBD II port! Not a warranty scenario I'd like to be engaged in.
The advantage is being an unswitched connection to the battery so connection headaches to the accessory sockets is eliminated. I get if it's outside your comfort zone. I would guess the chances of a float charger failing in the way you're suggesting is infinitesimally small.

________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________

I realize I'm in the minority here but I have to laugh because I feel like I'm facing the classic "well we've always done it this way and you're way is different" scenario. I've tried both ways and like this one better. Connecting to a battery is going to have some kind of risk no matter how it's done.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:20 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by go.illini
Connecting to a battery is going to have some kind of risk no matter how it's done.
What risk?

The harness no matter which one you use is fused or at least should be, right at the connection point at the positive battery post.

And if you want to charge a battery, then you do it connected to the battery posts. It does not get any simpler. Its not rocket science.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 PM
go.illini
Pro

Originally Posted by IXLR8
What risk?

The harness no matter which one you use is fused or at least should be, right at the connection point at the positive battery post.

And if you want to charge a battery, then you do it connected to the battery posts. It does not get any simpler. Its not rocket science.
I don't understand all the hate for proposing an alternative way to maintain the charge on a battery. I've used the OBD port connector for years. It's simple to use and no rocket science, black magic, or voodoo is involved.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:26 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by go.illini
I don't understand all the hate for proposing an alternative way to maintain the charge on a battery. I've used the OBD port connector for years. It's simple to use and no rocket science, black magic, or voodoo is involved.
Well you never bothered to answer what the risks were. But its OK, never mind. I've only worked with batteries, testing them and many of the chargers in a lab.

One person with the pic has it right on here.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:35 AM
go.illini
Pro

If it's of use to anyone, here's the link to the Battery Tender OBD II connector. If I recall correctly I purchased mine from Amazon but I'm sure it's available elsewhere. I've used it for some time and it works great.

The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (07-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Proper Battery Tender hook-up on 991.2