Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Battery Tender hook-up on 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 11:05 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

You are fine hooking the ground to the battery if you find this more convenient. There is no safety reason to do otherwise, even if you didn't have the safer AGM battery. Assuming that the charger isn't plugged in and active while you are hooking up the battery connection (and it isn't), there is no chance of a spark at the battery since the wiring circuit is open ended during the connection of the harness to the battery.

I believe those recommending the chassis are confusing this with proper technique when hooking up a live jump start where a significant spark can occur. In this case it cannot. But whichever way makes you feel better is fine... they'll both work.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:20 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I use the passenger footwell cigarette socket and it works very well. I wish my other cars could do that,
Old 12-24-2018, 03:35 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.two
Is there a reason to use the body ground instead of the battery (-) post?
I observed a guy helping a couple of ladies by jumping their car. When he connected the ground to the battery he ignited the fumes from the battery an burned his eyes. A cop happened by at that time and being in a fast food parking lot took him in to clear his eyes. Long story I know. Don't know the out come for him but what I say made me a believer, don't use the negative post. Ground away from the battery.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:09 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I use the power outlet in center console as the original owner did , ESSEY PESSEY
Old 12-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
You are fine hooking the ground to the battery if you find this more convenient. There is no safety reason to do otherwise, even if you didn't have the safer AGM battery. Assuming that the charger isn't plugged in and active while you are hooking up the battery connection (and it isn't), there is no chance of a spark at the battery since the wiring circuit is open ended during the connection of the harness to the battery.

I believe those recommending the chassis are confusing this with proper technique when hooking up a live jump start where a significant spark can occur. In this case it cannot. But whichever way makes you feel better is fine... they'll both work.
This as it relates to battery maintainers. Jumping a car is a different story.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:48 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Here's what I went with...

I've been a cigarette adapter in the foot well/under the door guy before, so we'll see how this works out.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I got a CTEK 3300 (Battery Tender was half the price at Costco) and did it the same way S S did, only hung it from a rafter. Didn't think to hook into the garage opener or tie it down to the battery. Good idea and cleaner than the way I did it!
Old 12-30-2018, 12:11 PM
991.two
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
I observed a guy helping a couple of ladies by jumping their car. When he connected the ground to the battery he ignited the fumes from the battery an burned his eyes. A cop happened by at that time and being in a fast food parking lot took him in to clear his eyes. Long story I know. Don't know the out come for him but what I say made me a believer, don't use the negative post. Ground away from the battery.
Yes I understand the safety cautions about Jump Starting, but we are talking about connecting a permanent mounted Trickle Charger. But your right about Safety First.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:49 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

My car doesn’t have Smoke pkg. Is there Cig lighter somewhere?
Old 12-30-2018, 06:11 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
My car doesn’t have Smoke pkg. Is there Cig lighter somewhere?
There is a 12v accessory port (without the lighter insert) up high in the passenger footwell adjacent to the PCM on the center console hump.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:08 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interestingly enough, my SBA asked me about my intended use of the car when I picked it up … was I going to daily drive it or not. If not, he recommended a direct battery connection for using a battery conditioner and to not use the 12V port within the car's passenger compartment. Since I was planning to daily the car, I didn't ask more about it but I'm guessing that he was making that recommendation due to some quirks about the 12V socket function depending on such factors as which socket is used and whether the car is locked or not.

If I were to add a battery conditioner set up, I would definitely go with the direct connect option as described here in this thread.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:33 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
Interestingly enough, my SBA asked me about my intended use of the car when I picked it up … was I going to daily drive it or not. If not, he recommended a direct battery connection for using a battery conditioner and to not use the 12V port within the car's passenger compartment. Since I was planning to daily the car, I didn't ask more about it but I'm guessing that he was making that recommendation due to some quirks about the 12V socket function depending on such factors as which socket is used and whether the car is locked or not.

If I were to add a battery conditioner set up, I would definitely go with the direct connect option as described here in this thread.
This doesn't make sense, since the factory Charge O Mat plugs into a 12V cig type port.
The following users liked this post:
bluonek1k (02-28-2024)
Old 12-31-2018, 02:41 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
This doesn't make sense, since the factory Charge O Mat plugs into a 12V cig type port.
I hear you but alas, that is what he recommended … I've read in other threads about there being issues with socket behavior although I don't recall the details … it is also what they clearly do in the showroom although that could be simply to keep the cord from being in the way of customers.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Given that winter is here in the Northeast I will not be driving my Carrera T very much. I am planning to hook-up one of my existing Deltran Battery Tenders to maintain the battery.

I plan to aligator clip direct to the battery. Safe to connect the negative directly to the negative terminal of the battery or should I connect to the body for ground?

i know that a lot of members have the Porsche AKA: CTEK charger which also can connect to the cigarette lighter socket but I prefer to use one of the Battery Tenders which I already own. My Battery Tenders are intelligent and support AGM batteries which I believe is the type of Battery Porsche installs from the factory.

Thanks.
I was reading the 991 SIT link which was provided by one of the members and came across this Porsche recommendation why it’s not a good idea to connect to the negative terminal to charge/jump start your battery.

991 SIT

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 01-13-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

OBD port charging connector is the way to go in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Proper Battery Tender hook-up on 991.2