Sponsored by:

Porsche OEM Lithium Ion Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Porsche OEM Lithium Ion Battery

Looks like Porsche has jumped into the Lithium Ion Battery game, has anyone bought this. There is a vendor on here who sells one for 1K and I will bet in time these will be a really affordable upgrade.

https://jalopnik.com/5527441/porsche...y-what-you-get

and oddly Suncoast has this for $4100 ??? I guess the $1700 is an option not a purchase price ?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...hoCAloQAvD_BwE
Old 12-18-2018, 11:41 AM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

There's no world in which I would pay over $4000 for a car battery.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,233 Likes on 745 Posts

anti gravity has one for $700, RS 30, but you have to buy the battery holder too for another $200

still a lot less than the Porsche one

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...omotive/rs-30/
Old 12-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
anti gravity has one for $700, RS 30, but you have to buy the battery holder too for another $200

still a lot less than the Porsche one

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...omotive/rs-30/

@11.5lbs I'll just ziptie the thing down and save two hundred dollars LOL not a bad option IMO.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:14 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

If you go the lithium battery route, the weight savings are close to what the T offers and it lowers Center cengravity a little. But be prepared to put the battery tender on it anytime it sits for a day. I'd probably put mine on it every night in the garage. The Li Battery A-Hr rating is 58% less vs the AGM.
But still, if my 991 needed a new battery without warranty coverage, I'd be tempted to go lithium, as the additional cost of going to the Zero Gravity is "only" $700. I'd have spent the added $200 cost on a new AGM battery anyway.

Last edited by PCA1983; 12-18-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:17 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 220 Posts

Would love to have the lighter battery. But it often gets below freezing during the winters in NJ. So it seems no lightweight lithium batteries for me.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:22 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Agree. I would not want to use a Li battery if not storing, and having to cold start in Winter weather. But here's a thought - you could go lithium and swap back and forth in the Fall & Spring. The AGM battery on the shelf would need a maintainer, but it's my understanding that Li batteries do not, if stored while charged.

Last edited by PCA1983; 12-18-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Agree. I would not want to use a Li battery if not storing, and having to cold start in Winter weather. But here's a thought - you could go lithium and swap back and forth in the Fall & Spring. The AGM battery on the shelf would need a maintainer, but it's my understanding that Li batteries do not, if stored while charged.
Swapping batteries might not be a bad idea. I'm already planning to swap my own tire/wheel setups for summers and winters. Could just add a the battery swap at the same time.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:38 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I live in California and drive my car weekly, Supposedly this battery should be ok for a daily driver. I will do more research.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
I live in California and drive my car weekly, Supposedly this battery should be ok for a daily driver. I will do more research.
​​​​​​A Li battery should b fine for a daily driver. But cold winter weather starts are more difficult for a battery. Do you have severely cold winter weather? If you only drive weekly, a Li battery has limits for storage without a battery maintainer. I don't know the load when a 991 is garaged, but simple math for example says at a 200 mA load, a Li battery will discharge about 50% in 3 days. So id use a maintainer unless driving it the next day. Without keyless Go, the current drain when parked should b less. Who knows? You might get away with 5-6 days in the garage without a maintainer if you don't have severe cold spells A start in cold weather requires more from the battery. The reason i am thinking frequent use of a battery mainteaner is a good idea is based on the small capacity of these Li batteries, the relatively high drain current these modern Porsches have when parked, and also based on a friend who runs a Porsche race shop who says a battery maintener is going to be required for much of the time any 991 with Li battery sits in a garage.
Plus, lets not forget that our modern Porsche 991s have regenerative braking. They prefer not to charge the battery when accelerating or cruising, but are programmed to charge the battery when engine braking (forget that stupid Greenie eco coasting option!). So there is no assurance your 991 battery will be fully charged when you park it in your garage when arriving home. If you only have a 30 A-Hr Li battery in there it might not have enough charge to sit for 6 days of current drain while parked from Sunday to Saturday, and still have enough charge to be able to start the car when you are ready to rumble.
And Li battery life is generally not as good if often stored at relatively low charge. They seem to like at least 70% charge during storage, for longevity. So that is another consideration.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCA1983
​​​​​​A Li battery should b fine for a daily driver. But cold winter weather starts are more difficult for a battery. Do you have severely cold winter weather? If you only drive weekly, a Li battery has limits for storage without a battery maintainer. I don't know the load when a 991 is garaged, but simple math for example says at a 200 mA load, a Li battery will discharge about 50% in 3 days. So id use a maintainer unless driving it the next day. Without keyless Go, the current drain when parked should b less. Who knows? You might get away with 5-6 days in the garage without a maintainer if you don't have severe cold spells A start in cold weather requires more from the battery. The reason i am sharing a battery mainteance is a good idea is based on the small capacity of these Li batteries, the relatively high drain these modern Porsches have when parked, and a friend who runs a Porsche race shop who says a battery maintenence is going to be required for much of the time a 991 sits in a garage.
Plus, lets not forget that our modern Porsche 991s have regenerative braking. They prefer not to charge the battery when accelerating or cruising, but are programmed to charge the battery when engine braking (forget that stupid coasting Greenie option!). So there is no assurance your 991 battery will be fully charged when you park it in your garage when arriving home. If you only have a 30 A-Hr Li battery in there it might not have enough charge to sit for 6 days of current drain while parked from Sunday to Saturday, and still have enough charge to be able to start the car when you are ready to rumble.
And Li battery life is generally not as good if often stored at relatively low charge. They seem to like at least 70% charge during storage. So that is another consideration.
This is good info....looks like I will just get a standard AGM for my replacement, I don't want the worry of not cranking.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
Would love to have the lighter battery. But it often gets below freezing during the winters in NJ. So it seems no lightweight lithium batteries for me.
I have used lithium batteries in NJ without issues and currently use a 1.5lb on my motorcycle which I ride in 35F temps sometimes
Old 12-18-2018, 10:28 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Lithium battery maintainers are inexpensive, I use optimate and also have Porsche maintiner Pro which supports lithium batteries.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:58 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
I have used lithium batteries in NJ without issues and currently use a 1.5lb on my motorcycle which I ride in 35F temps sometimes
You ride in 35F? Damn. I'd have to wear so much gear I'd look like I'm setting out to climb Everest to do that.

I'll do some more research, but most of what I've read so far indicates lithium batteries are less than ideal in sub-freezing temps. But it's easy enough to swap them out when I swap the tires, so I'd probably do that, if I wind up getting one.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:41 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V999
You ride in 35F? Damn. I'd have to wear so much gear I'd look like I'm setting out to climb Everest to do that.

I'll do some more research, but most of what I've read so far indicates lithium batteries are less than ideal in sub-freezing temps. But it's easy enough to swap them out when I swap the tires, so I'd probably do that, if I wind up getting one.
last year I rode at least once evey month. I have a winter jacket and pants which are completely windproof and have thick thermal liners. I have to wear a t shirt underneath or it gets too warm.

Only concern is tire grip, so no sudden acceleration and have to be careful. Bike has traction and Abs and usually keep it in rain mode in the cold. Just have to avoid any icy patches. As long as road is dry its all good.

when not riding I keep it plugged in to optimate, 4 years with no issues with the lithium battery. I ride a HP4, all the electronic aids are a big help.

for the car I swap to winter tires.

Quick Reply: Porsche OEM Lithium Ion Battery