Sponsored by:

Porsche OEM Lithium Ion Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default 3 days Meh

My car can sometimes go for 3 weeks so this is a no go for me if accurate. What about the ... exclusive RE-START Technology that states if the battery gets to a certain point it just has a cut off feature saving enough juice to start the vehicle ? I used to have a rmeote disconnect on my 964 that worked like a champ but the frunk release means anything but a disconnect is a no go really plus I think all the electronics might not like it.

Originally Posted by PCA1983
​​​​​​A Li battery should b fine for a daily driver. But cold winter weather starts are more difficult for a battery. Do you have severely cold winter weather? If you only drive weekly, a Li battery has limits for storage without a battery maintainer. I don't know the load when a 991 is garaged, but simple math for example says at a 200 mA load, a Li battery will discharge about 50% in 3 days. So id use a maintainer unless driving it the next day. Without keyless Go, the current drain when parked should b less. Who knows? You might get away with 5-6 days in the garage without a maintainer if you don't have severe cold spells A start in cold weather requires more from the battery. The reason i am thinking frequent use of a battery mainteaner is a good idea is based on the small capacity of these Li batteries, the relatively high drain current these modern Porsches have when parked, and also based on a friend who runs a Porsche race shop who says a battery maintener is going to be required for much of the time any 991 with Li battery sits in a garage.
Plus, lets not forget that our modern Porsche 991s have regenerative braking. They prefer not to charge the battery when accelerating or cruising, but are programmed to charge the battery when engine braking (forget that stupid Greenie eco coasting option!). So there is no assurance your 991 battery will be fully charged when you park it in your garage when arriving home. If you only have a 30 A-Hr Li battery in there it might not have enough charge to sit for 6 days of current drain while parked from Sunday to Saturday, and still have enough charge to be able to start the car when you are ready to rumble.
And Li battery life is generally not as good if often stored at relatively low charge. They seem to like at least 70% charge during storage, for longevity. So that is another consideration.

Quick Reply: Porsche OEM Lithium Ion Battery