Sponsored by:

Is PTV/LSD useful in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:14 PM
JS3B
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is PTV/LSD useful in snow?

I’m new to the forum and have a manual 2019 C4 on order. I plan to use the car as a daily driver. We get a lot of snow in the Montreal (Canada) region. I will obviously get some good winter tires.

Do some of you have any experience with the PTV/mechanical LSD on the Carrera 4? I’ve read a lot online, but cannot get a definitive answer. I’m wondering if it helps the winter driving in any way. Since I don’t plan any track days, I don’t think I would add the option if it doesn’t help in the snow.

Thanks for your input!

Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Yes.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:04 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 67 Posts

Good question. I tried to get the same answers to that question last year. I drive from Halifax to New Brunswick and Maine and back a lot. Mostly in non Californian driving conditions! Fog, sleet, rain and Moose. I have a 2018 Targa 4, manual transmission, that I optioned out with torque vectoring and LSD. I don't regret it at all, but the main reason was not for the snow. I tried the car on the local track and was shown by a Porsche instructor from Montreal how much better the car went around a corner with it. I think his main job was to scare me to death. I believe at the end of the day we both scared each other. All kidding aside, the Carrera 4 is great and with good snow tires (Porsche used some Nokian Hakkapellitta at the winter driving school last year), you should do well. Unfortunately in Halifax, we have these constant freeze-thaw conditions that can take snow ruts and turn them into solid ice in a few hours. I've destroyed so many rocker panels on my cars since I moved here that I am sparing the Targa of this punishment. Montreal driving is great. You don't get nearly the same wet snow conditions that could freeze the ruts solid. Also, your drivers are crazy in a good way. Probably the car traction control system is more than adequate for city winter driving. Since you are already residing in Montreal where some of the top Canadian Porsche instructors reside, see if you can get their advice. Keep us posted. Congratulations on your new order. Whatever options you get, it will still be amazing. I guarantee you that.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:23 PM
JS3B
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Good question. I tried to get the same answers to that question last year. I drive from Halifax to New Brunswick and Maine and back a lot. Mostly in non Californian driving conditions! Fog, sleet, rain and Moose. I have a 2018 Targa 4, manual transmission, that I optioned out with torque vectoring and LSD. I don't regret it at all, but the main reason was not for the snow. I tried the car on the local track and was shown by a Porsche instructor from Montreal how much better the car went around a corner with it. I think his main job was to scare me to death. I believe at the end of the day we both scared each other. All kidding aside, the Carrera 4 is great and with good snow tires (Porsche used some Nokian Hakkapellitta at the winter driving school last year), you should do well. Unfortunately in Halifax, we have these constant freeze-thaw conditions that can take snow ruts and turn them into solid ice in a few hours. I've destroyed so many rocker panels on my cars since I moved here that I am sparing the Targa of this punishment. Montreal driving is great. You don't get nearly the same wet snow conditions that could freeze the ruts solid. Also, your drivers are crazy in a good way. Probably the car traction control system is more than adequate for city winter driving. Since you are already residing in Montreal where some of the top Canadian Porsche instructors reside, see if you can get their advice. Keep us posted. Congratulations on your new order. Whatever options you get, it will still be amazing. I guarantee you that.
Thanks for your opinion! I’m leaning towards adding the option to the list thinking « why not, it’s only 1700$ ». The only donwside I read was faster brake pads use, but I think it’s more related to track use. I already tried a C4S 991.2 in a snow storm with the Porsche Drive program and had a lot of fun.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:31 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Put some snow tires on your C4 and you can race it in the snow. It will be that good.

Quick Reply: Is PTV/LSD useful in snow?