Sponsored by:

Buying a 991 for my hubby

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
The new 3.0 turbo charged engine are amazing and has a lot of potential. The 991.2 cars also includes Apple car play. North Houston has a T and a S in white. They are worth a look.

Good luck.

^^^

This is really good advice.

You can find a very nice low option brand new base 991.2 around your budget. It is an exceptional car. If you find one in inventory with the options that you like a discount of +/- 8% from MSRP is not out of the question.

Streach your budget by 10% and the Carrera T is within reach, skip the LWB’s and you get the rear seats. This is the one I would purchase for your husband. Brand new full factory warranty, enjoy!

Here is a nice one

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/se...ting=217180994

Given your requirement for rear seats the GT3 will not work for your husband.

GLWYS

Last edited by Patrick3000; 12-15-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

LOL - insecure trolls trying to tear someone down to make themselves feel better. Seriously, what is the point of a comment like this. Time to grow up.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:33 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Turbo is a must this won't be relevant but I purchased CPO 2015 GTS with Aero Kit Cup for slightly less the $100k (not including tax and registration), plenty of car if he never owned a Porsche yet, and back seat too.

Last edited by ragabnh; 12-15-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
Hi! Can I not get one of the newer turbo 911 models at $100,000? I don't mean the super expensive blinged out turbo, but the newer version of the 991? One of our friends is the retired CEO of a boot and shoe manufacturer, and he had a turbo. He said it was way too much car and sold it for a Porsche SUV before he went to jail.
You sure can but not a GTS unfortunately.. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all.

You can definitely find some amazing Base/S and maybe even 4S at 100k and below... I'm certain you can find base models (again, not bad) under 90k.

FYI: The newer turbo models are called 991.2. The non turbo pre 2017 models are called 991.1.

Just make sure to get the basic must have options and don't worry too much about all the other mumbo jumbo.

Musts: Sport Chrono pkg, Sport Exhaust pkg, PDK.. If you're getting the new 991.2 Rear Axle Steer is a great touch. The 991.1 models don't get Rear Axle Steer and neither do the 991.2 base models unless it's a T.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

PDK as a must have?! What did I miss?
Old 12-15-2018, 11:27 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you everyone! The car he really liked last summer was a white Carrera GTS at Porsche North Houston. It had the wing and looked great, both inside and out. It had yellow calipers too, which I think means nicer brakes? If I could find a car like that (GTS with the wing, or at least the cool tail) for under $100,000, I think he would be happy. We are going to have to make a road trip to drive some cars however. If it is at all possible, I would like to purchase from a private party. I find many dealers to be unscrupulous; I can't take most of them at their word. The GT4 is plenty fast, and I can't imagine needing anything faster than that, but it sounds like the newer 911 cars are even faster.

He loves my GT4 and is jealous! I take pity on him and let him borrow it from time to time.

If I can find one of those GTS (2015?), I will be very happy!

To the person who called me a "brand snob": I owned a Boxster S a few years ago, and my husband owned a manual 911 4S for several years, but sold it a few years back to put some money into his business. He has been driving around in an older vehicle to keep any financial stress to a minimum. We love Porsche, so if that makes me a brand snob, what does that say about you?
Old 12-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Yellow calipers are the ceramic brakes, which are just under $9k new as an option.

And pay no attention to the a-holes here,,,there is always one, or two, or three...
Old 12-15-2018, 11:56 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

To the person who called me a "brand snob": I owned a Boxster S a few years ago, and my husband owned a manual 911 4S for several years, but sold it a few years back to put some money into his business. He has been driving around in an older vehicle to keep any financial stress to a minimum. We love Porsche, so if that makes me a brand snob, what does that say about you?
Welcome! You do not owe that poster, or any one of us, a justification for what you want to buy your husband. Good for you. Many of us own a couple of Porsches and most people on Rennlist love them because there are wonderful cars and couldn't care less about the brand. Your money. Buy what you want.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:10 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
PDK as a must have?! What did I miss?
I guess having the best dual clutch in the business is nothing to write home about.

Just LOL at the "purists" who view the PDK as boring or a bad thing.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Thank you everyone! The car he really liked last summer was a white Carrera GTS at Porsche North Houston. It had the wing and looked great, both inside and out. It had yellow calipers too, which I think means nicer brakes? If I could find a car like that (GTS with the wing, or at least the cool tail) for under $100,000, I think he would be happy. We are going to have to make a road trip to drive some cars however. If it is at all possible, I would like to purchase from a private party. I find many dealers to be unscrupulous; I can't take most of them at their word. The GT4 is plenty fast, and I can't imagine needing anything faster than that, but it sounds like the newer 911 cars are even faster.

He loves my GT4 and is jealous! I take pity on him and let him borrow it from time to time.

If I can find one of those GTS (2015?), I will be very happy!

Stick with it.. A 991.1 GTS with aero kit. Done and done.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:45 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I guess having the best dual clutch in the business is nothing to write home about.

Just LOL at the "purists" who view the PDK as boring or a bad thing.
I’m laughing at you saying a PDK is a must have. If you’ve been here more than 5 minutes you know that, like mushrooms, some love it and some loathe them. It’s reckless advice to call that a “must have”.

I think ChristyT will know which transmission her husband prefers.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:24 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default tranny usage ?

We have not heard what he plans to use the vehicle for (daily, weekend, track) For all but the last the MT is nicer. He bought the OP a car to track/autocross so my guess is he is an enthusiast. I would look at an S or GTS model with the sport chrono and if an S perhaps add the sports design package for the aero bits (wing). With the S on the .1 you get the larger motor brakes etc and the sports chrono package adds the rest of the performance bits. You can always add sports exhaust later easily.The GTS may keep you out of a newer car but will hold its value better. I wouldn't buy an enthusiast, a base model. I agree on dealers ripping people off, find one from someone reputable and have a PPI performed by an independent shop to include paint meter readings on all panels. Save the rip off pricing and tax money for the purchase price.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:37 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Christy
Schedule a test drive for him in the one you like best. If it is what he was looking for it's done, if he chooses something else, I'm sure you just want him to have what he wants.
Don't buy it first, let him pick.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Touche!
Old 12-16-2018, 01:20 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi ChristyT, I think you are spot on for your Hubby. I highly recommend a GTS, since I think you get more for your money; that's why I got one. I wouldn't worry about the yellow (ceramic) brakes since that will really limit your search. I also recommend the newest one you can afford - newer is always better.
I have a 991.2 and my friend has a 2016 991.1 and they are different cars, but each is outstanding. I'd recommend you tell your husband what you are doing and the two of you go shopping, this way you have the fun of seeing him geting something he really wants and both of you have the joy of doing it together!

BTW; you have made me decide if I ever get married again, it will be to a Texas woman

Quick Reply: Buying a 991 for my hubby