Sponsored by:

Rattle Question for all...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rattle Question for all...

So I just got finished with work and was driving home. I always listen to music , but today for some reason I did not. Interestingly enough, I happen to hear a rattle from the front passenger roof area or passenger window/ door area (hard to pin it down). Hard to tell because I really never hear it with music jamming, however with no noise, you hear it( I know ,turn on PSE, not the point). However, my question is if you fellow members live with any rattles in your Porsche? I have had a few Porsches and most of them seem to have some small rattle(not my last one though)), but that was crazy lucky. Anyways, I do not feel like running to the dealer just for a small rattle. My main question is do most of your forum members live with"small" rattles. I am sure some of you will chime in and say your car is perfect. That is very lucky and I believe, sometimes rare with such a sports car that is so very tight. So bottom line, do most of you out there have some type of small rattle or annoyance that you live with it, because its a Porsche? Thank you in advance for answering or sharing your opinion.....(hate rattles, but some of us can get a little OCD...maybe I am, but I am sure a few of you are like this too for a car we cherish so much!
Old 12-10-2018, 07:11 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 818 Likes on 408 Posts

If you think it's up near the windshield, adjust the rear view or flip down the visors to see if it goes away.

My visors every once in a while will rattle a little and once manipulated slightly it goes away.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,166 Likes on 565 Posts

I had a rattle that was a recognized issue with the fuel tank. The liner of the fuel tank wore down and the fuel tank would squeak when the tank was more than 1/2 full. Fixed under warranty but took several tries on my part to get Porsche service department to believe me.

I have a cabriolet, so more moving parts. I have come to accept that sometimes the top components will rattle. Never bad enough to take in for inspection. Comes and goes.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:21 PM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a rattle/vibration in my former 2009 911 C4S. The sound came from the passenger side, upper height. I took it to the dealer and it was fixed under CPO. The issue was that a portion of the sunroof was vibrating. I not like rattles or vibration in a car, especially my Porsche.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:25 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Is your car a cab? It may be the wind stop. I had a very elusive Targa rattle that sounded like it was coming from the dash which ended up being the wind stop.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

My 18 year old Miata doesn't have a single squeak or rattle. My 2015 Boxster GTS and 2017 911? Yeah. Let's not go there...
Old 12-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

an effective way to pinpoint is to tap the area in question with a closed fist or to play music with a little bass. and to answer the question, i am maniacal about rattles and my car has LESS at 24.5k then it did at 5k. some were rattles i found, others i get the sense have just settled in. but they occur, as they do in every car
Old 12-11-2018, 03:04 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I found a couple of rattles that were easy to fix. One, as another person previously commented, was just the latch on the visor. A little WD40 on that fixed a big one. The other was that the headrest had popped off one of its connectors. The dealer got it back in and now no rattles. Also found one in the seat back latch which a little WD40 fixed. Oh, and the seat belts where they rub against the seats. A little bit of lubricant there keeps them from rubbing and making noise.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you all for responding back. I really appreciate and I am trying to get it thru my head this is not a Lexus! Kidding but I have to learn no such thing as perfection( other then Gwyneth Paltrow or throw in Gwen Stefani!) Looking forward to more thoughts..........
Old 12-11-2018, 07:19 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

My brand new2012 C2S had two stubborn rattles in the first 4 months of ownership. My dealer fixed one by removing the driver's side door card, finding and replacing faulty retaining clips. They fixed the second after a lot of hunting- and finding a broken plastic piece (assumed to be from a factory campaign repair of faulty insulation) under the rubber cover in the trunk.

Bottom line: there are lots of little parts, many possibilities, all fixable.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:29 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Driver side b pillar where seatbelt is..several trips at dealer and not resolved
Old 12-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

most of the time its so noisy in the cabin due to very little sound deadening, tires and rear engine, but I knew that going in. i have the glass sunroof that sometimes has a click click sound . Every few months I lube the seals with silicon and the noise stops. You’ll even notice the difference in tarmack construction. Concrete loud, asphalt loud recycled tire construction heavenly. . like others said its a real sports car and not a Lexus or even a Honda.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:52 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the other best things you can do is make sure your tires are inflated to "comfort" levels (something like 32/36) instead of what the dealerships crank them up to. When you are riding on track setting inflation levels the car picks up every little rattle that might not normally be heard.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:59 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Like Highyo suggested, sometimes an interior rattle can be located using the car stereo. I did this on my 997.2. I loaded a tone generator app on my phone (I see I still have it: Tone Gen Pro), turned up the volume in the car fairly loud (but not so loud as to blow the speaker with the strong bass), and started at low low bass and raised the pitch slowly until I could hear the rattle start resonating with the tone. With the rattle at its resonant frequency, it was easy for me to press/pull on various surfaces until I was able to zero in on the location causing the problem.

Not all rattles will resonate this way, but for those that do this approach really helps. Note that this loud steady sound may cause family, pets, and nearby neighbors to be concerned

Quick Reply: Rattle Question for all...