Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement quote - does this make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:24 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

This is the best time to pur in a lithium batteryand save about 30lbs
Old 12-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Dude, Please dont do this YOUR SA is a dick

Dude, Please don't do this YOUR SA is a dick (ie. not a good guy) and if you do this we all get to pay the Porsche tax situations like this enable. There is a video how to on replacing a battery on here and anyone with a borderline IQ could perform this task. Any battery will work I recommend the AGM Bosch from pepboys asit comes with a 5 year warranty but make sure you check the manufacture date (you want it within 4 months of today) . Your battery requires no programming (per another thread on RL). I have a 2012. and the original battery is perfect. Don't replace parts for the sake of replacing parts or because your stealership SA needs a new tommy chu chu for his 8 year old.

Originally Posted by mgordon18
My car is in the shop for some warranty work (new pistons for rear deck lid, window drop fix, and a newly found transmission leak (only needs a new transmission pan!)) and my SA, who seems to be a good guy, mentioned that my battery is starting to go. He offered to replace it for a whopping $796. The battery itself is $406 and the "programming" is $390 (including battery test, charging test, and replacement labor).

I've done a little research on this, but I thought I'd give some more info about what my SA is saying about the "programming." "The new Porsche battery comes with a code that gets programed to a few computers to allow full communicate in the vehicle . You will find that something will not work or will stop working if an aftermarket battery is put in and the programming is not done."

Does this make any sense? What could possibly stop working if the battery is not programmed? I've asked my SA, but have so far gotten no reply.

I figure I could get a better battery than the Porsche OEM one for about $200 and install it myself in about 30 minutes, according to threads on this board.

What am I missing here?
Dude..
Old 12-11-2018, 09:51 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Dude.

I bought a Duracell battery last night from Batteries+ for about $200 and will replace the current battery on my own when I get the car back tomorrow or Thursday.

Video certainly makes it look easy. Hopefully there won't be any snags.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Mgordon18, here is the best battery thread on Rennlist. This will help your planned Thursday DIY:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1041...ement-diy.html
Old 12-11-2018, 11:06 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
Only makes sense if you agree to pay it! I always buy my batteries from Walmart and install myself. Cost around $100 for the battery. All else is fluff for the dealer.
Many years ago. I haven't seen a large auto battery for Porsche or BMW at that price for a long time. More like $200 now, but point taken!

Originally Posted by LexVan
Walmart does not have AGM batteries. A high-quality replacement battery will be about $200.
They do or did. I purchased one from Walmart for a BMW. AGM.

Originally Posted by MJG911
I do believe the car has to be reprogrammed when you replace the battery. I think it regulates alternator output and charging based on the condition of the battery. I know we had to do this on our Z4 after I replaced the battery, but the indy didn't charge us anything when they were doing another service on it.
Correct on BMW's per manufacture procedures. BMW has use AGM for more than a decade, I've replace with AGM and didn't register. Battery lasted 4 years with more life to go and no issues before selling car. Lasted 3 years with more life to go on another BMW before being sold. Not worth the cost to "reset" or tell the car there is a new battery. It's easier to just replace the battery when it dies. I suspect the same deal on a 991.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:34 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
This is the best time to pur in a lithium batteryand save about 30lbs
Nice vid on battery replacement, but with a Antigravity Lithium battery. Sure is light weight but muy expensivo

If you do buy a lithium battery, you need a special battery maintainer for it, correct?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Mgordon18, here is the best battery thread on Rennlist. This will help your planned Thursday DIY:

GREAT Video!!

Can you use one of those "pocket" battery jumpers on the interior in the fuse box instead of the Porsche battery tender?
Old 12-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Has anyone replaced a 991 battery without "programming" it and had any weirdness?
If it only reduces the battery life, I could buy 4 aftermarket batteries for the cost of a single dealer-installed battery. So even if the life is reduced to 2 years, I'd still get 8 years from $800 rather than the 5 I'd get from a dealer-installed battery...
I replaced it w/o reprogramming also and when casually mentioning reprogramming to my SA at a later service, he gave me quizzical look and said reprogramming was not needed... I did the very same math you did above... It's been almost 2 years, zero issues.

ironically I believe my original porsche battery was needlessly replaced by me (it was almost 5y old so no harm done). I since bought a really good tester and it tested fine for its age, once out of the car. What tricked me is that the 991 draws a crap ton of current when you open the door or hood to even check the voltage... it always reads low initially when checking that way because it's sucking electrons and the alternator is not yet running... I've since added pigtails for the ctek that exit by the base of windshield - I recommend you do that when changing battery, perfect timing - and am able to a) recharge it without opening the car at all and b) check voltage w/o waking up the car, it's fine at 12.6 instad of the 12.2 I might see when using the dash display... Still overall I'd recommend plugging that car to a Ctek anytime it's not gonna be used for a week, it draws juice...
Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks LexVan - I've seen that thread in my searching, but I'll read through more of the details over the next day or so.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

My car died in my garage so I called AAA. Tech had no idea that the engine was in the rear but was enthusiastic and I felt we could do the replacement together. He put a power source through the OBD to prevent loss of settings. We removed all the parts necessary to remove the battery which was simple and the only quirk we came across was that the new battery was much larger than the old one. We figured out that there are multiple holes for the bracket that hold the battery in place so the size of the new battery was not a problem. We got it all back together and the new battery has a really good warranty. Cost was $145 which is really good
Old 12-11-2018, 06:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerry991
Cost was $145 which is really good
Are you sure that you did not put in a replacement lead acid battery that requires a vent tube?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
My car died in my garage so I called AAA. Tech had no idea that the engine was in the rear but was enthusiastic and I felt we could do the replacement together. He put a power source through the OBD to prevent loss of settings. We removed all the parts necessary to remove the battery which was simple and the only quirk we came across was that the new battery was much larger than the old one. We figured out that there are multiple holes for the bracket that hold the battery in place so the size of the new battery was not a problem. We got it all back together and the new battery has a really good warranty. Cost was $145 which is really good
OK I'll ask, what's the OBD?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Dkk16
what's the OBD?
On
Board
Diagnostic
Old 12-11-2018, 06:24 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkk16
OK I'll ask, what's the OBD?
Onboard Diagnostic (port). Generally located somewhere under the driver's side dash but I'm not sure where it is on a 911 ;-] That's where inspection stations, mechanics, etc plug into the car at to download data or in some cases upload data.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by fastforddriver
Generally located somewhere under the driver's side dash but I'm not sure where it is on a 911
On our 991s, it's under the driver's side fuse box panel.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement quote - does this make sense?