Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request for feedback on interior colour ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Request for feedback on interior colour ...

So after picking up a well optioned 2017 C2S coupe this year, I enjoyed it BUT missed both the open air feel as well as the involvement a manual provides (my 981B has both). Since there are virtually no cars available on the used market (north of the 49th) that contain my must have options, I figured I'd put together an order for spring delivery. Having a black interior in both P-cars, I wanted to go to something different and I have to say, I'm drawn to a couple of the two tone leather options:
  1. Graphite blue/ Chalk (on night blue metallic)
  2. Black/ Bordeaux (on agate grey metallic)
I'd love to hear from anyone who has either of the above to get their feedback on pros and cons of these (and expect pics posted as well !)

Thanks !

Last edited by Stevelev; 12-09-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:52 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever you decide on, get the darkest dashboard possible. I thought I could deal with a full beige interior. The dash is dangerously reflected in the windshield.

Normally on sunny days, I wear polarized sunglasses. So, it isn't a problem. However, not long ago we toured wonderful twisty roads in the Tennessee mountains. In the shade it was too dark to wear sunglasses. SO, I just had my regular glasses on. Went into one hard right turn and the beige dash reflection COMPLETELY obscured the view of the exit of the turn. So, now I have taken to putting a black towel on both sides of the dashboard. They remind me of how stupid Porsche designers have been to include light-colored dashboards in what used to be a sports car. Have you noticed that even Buicks have black dashboards?

This is a subject I brought up with some PCNA executives a few years ago. They shrugged their shoulders and passed to blame on to HQ.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
Whatever you decide on, get the darkest dashboard possible.
Thx and agreed, that's why I have honed in on the two above ...
Old 12-08-2018, 02:07 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the graphite blue / chalk interior with the GB exterior/ I really liked it at first, very bright and airy feeling to it and like the deviated stitching. The chalk seats and door panels are very light, almost off-white. If yours is a daily, then be prepared to clean it often. Mine is a summer, fair weather car, so I'm ok with that.

The black bordeaux is a stunning combination, but for me, red is just too much on the interior.

But, if I was to choose again, I'd probably go with espresso / cognac. The dark dash will not reflect light and the cognac seats, being natural leather, just look more luxurious to me. I was talked out of this combo by the dealer, as he said it won't match the exterior. I shouldn't have listened to him as I know realize that the interior is what you see when you are "in" the car.

Here is a shot of the interior and me doing the European Delivery in Leipzig:

Old 12-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on exterior colour. I had a black 981 with full luxor beige (no longer available because of glare, which never bothered me). Looked nice but I soon tired of it and it got grubby quickly. Then got a Carmine Red 718 with black was nice and classy. Now black with black 911, a bit too dark really, I think red goes well with black but maybe a bit too much red if you don't get black dash two tone. Looked at a Carmine Red 911 with Chalk (called Crayon in UK) and black dash. Very 'look at me', pimp or hairdresser! Don't generally like two tones. Funny how cheap cars have universal black dash and choice of colour only for the rest. Porsche willing to change colour for all the interior but if you want to retain black dash they charge extra! I used to like Platinum (light) grey but this discontinued and I think Chalk too white. Agate grey interior just like faded black IMHO but I see for the 992 they now have Slate grey. All in all, I think full black is classiest.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:58 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The black/Bordeaux looks great. I'm not a big fan of blue and gray interiors.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:23 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't think you can go wrong with either as long as you pair it with the right exterior. Out of the two you listed, my vote would be for the black / red, I feel that is more timeless. Have you considered waiting an extra year for the 992?

I'm also a fan of the espresso / cognac that I have in my car.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:24 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I have the graphite blue/chalk in my 2018 C2S but I also selected deviated seat centers in the blue. I really like how it turned out. I was concerned about having to much light color and chalk and felt this option was the perfect combo. I had an interior protectant put on it also because I did not want it getting to dirty looking. 5500 miles in it is looking great and I am very pleased.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Thx guys. I added the preferred exterior colours beside the interior colours in my original post. The car would be used as a daily in the summer for the most part (ie: May to October). My sales guy suggested the chalk will mostly show dirt on the driver left side bolster and driver door handle but scotchguard helps make cleaning easier. My wife asked me how I felt about her bringing coffee into the car ... perhaps I’ll simply admire pics of chalk interiors and look elsewhere. My dealer has a white GTS Targa in stock with the red Bordeaux interior and seat centres in black - this obviously reduces the amount of red but it looks out of place to my eye. I’m hoping to go see what they have in stock this week to get a better idea of these as well as the other options since pics aren’t always the best representation ...

Last edited by Stevelev; 12-09-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Red Bordeaux with black centres
Old 12-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 63 Posts

The interior of a 911 is where you connect to the car; the exterior is what the public see. Given that train of thought, I wanted my interior choice so that I could feel special in. Basically the same sentiments members above have advised. My difference is, I keep my cars for a long, long time and I don't have a fleet to pick the right car for a dirty job. I am ashamed to say that I once got a drop of antifouling paint (boat bottom paint) on my drivers side seat bolster and I couldn't remove it. I suffered with that paint stain for 325K miles. Ok, so I am not immune to accidents. I'm human.
When I ordered my lifelong dream, I agonized over the bordeaux/black two tone interior. I just loved it, but I knew I couldn't live with myself if I messed it up. Sad, but I felt it was too good for me. I ended up getting black leather with deviating acid green stitching. It is classic, and has a bit of artistic flair. Pretty nice actually. Since then, I also saw an espresso interior with cognac deviated stitching that was just stunning (and very exclusive). If you are hesitating about the leather taking a beating, like I did, relax... I have subsequently learned from members here that ALL leather and paint issues can be fixed. Get what you really want and don't worry about the small stuff. It can be maintained and repaired. Send pics of your decision!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:46 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Either would be great, but my personal taste is that Agate/BR would be stunning. Good luck with your decision....been there done that and IMO color choices are the most difficult ones to make. I agonized for a long time before I finally made a decision.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:53 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I vote for an interior color that has deviated seat ceners since the seat in one color is too much for me, even though I have all Black; however, I livened it up with exterior color trim inside.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevelev

Red Bordeaux with black centres
This is stunning with the right exterior color
Old 12-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Agree, with a light colored exterior such as Caulk, White or Silver.

Quick Reply: Request for feedback on interior colour ...