Sponsored by:

Carmine red, dark or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Why don't you visit a dealer and take look at the color on their sample wall? The sample is painted on a curved surface. You can step outside and view it in direct natural light and see how it varies on the curved surface.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:05 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, looks good in person, more elegant than the traditional guards red.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:33 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Carmine Red is gorgeous. My boss's wife used to drive a Cayenne GTS in it and I loved it. You won't regret it!
Old 12-03-2018, 06:51 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jsaviano
I agree, looks good in person, more elegant than the traditional guards red.
Even though I chose Guards over Carmine I agree, but elegant wasn't what I was after. My wife told me "If you're going to buy a 911, go all the way and get an in-your-face red winged GT3. Otherwise just drive your black Macan. All of our cars don't have to have a back seat". Reason 853 why I married her.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:17 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
I parked my Guards Red beside a Carmine. Makes the Carmine look almost Burgundy. Its a pretty cool color. Find one before you pull the trigger.

Yeah, but you forgot the part about CR making GR look orange.

CR is almost identical to Corvette's Victory Red, if you are familiar with that color, while GR is almost identical to Corvette's Torch Red. I only mention those colors because it seems a lot of 911 owners once owned Vettes, myself included.

I have a CR GTS, and I like the color a lot, but it frustrates me, as it is so hard to take a picture of it that comes out like your eye actually sees it. Even to your eye, the more overcast the day, the more accurate the color. On a bright sunny day the color can be washed out, and disappointing. This picture on a somewhat overcast day is about the truest representation of the color that I have.

The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (10-05-2022)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Guards = Tomato, Carmine = Blood or Cherry.

I think Carmine is the prettier color alone, but I've never loved the way it works with other colors on the car, i.e., trim, wheels, tires. I think Guards, while a little more tomato, works more cohesively with the different colors on the car. Carmine to me is like mixing shades on a pallet that don't flow quite as well together.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:36 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Carmine red! Gorgeous.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:45 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

My Macan is CR and my 911 would have been too, if there has been allocations to order. You'll have no regrets OP.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:13 AM
ejnork
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gah, thanks for all of your replies. I am going to daily it not wanting to make too much noice because of my profession. I drive a volcano grey macan today which I love.

The carmine red car comes with 4900 miles on it, I will get it at a 5-6% discount off the listed used price. Comes with everything I need and a bit more.

My other option is a brand new one in volcano grey, same price but no MF steering wheel, no sportdesign mirrors, no sunroof, no rear axle steering and only parking sensors in the back.

Seems that the CR car is a better deal, just not 100% sure about the color, although the pictures here makes me more interested.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:29 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Any red car says hello. But once you have one you will love it. I had a Guards Red 4S for 3 years and loved every minute of it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:37 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

You need to see carmine in person. I suppose that is true of most all colors. Carmine looked lighter than in pictures to me.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Yeah, but you forgot the part about CR making GR look orange.

CR is almost identical to Corvette's Victory Red, if you are familiar with that color, while GR is almost identical to Corvette's Torch Red. I only mention those colors because it seems a lot of 911 owners once owned Vettes, myself included.

I have a CR GTS, and I like the color a lot, but it frustrates me, as it is so hard to take a picture of it that comes out like your eye actually sees it. Even to your eye, the more overcast the day, the more accurate the color. On a bright sunny day the color can be washed out, and disappointing. This picture on a somewhat overcast day is about the truest representation of the color that I have.

Best description I have read. I was never a fan of torch red (I had magnetic red and Monterey red). Your car looks gorgeous!
Old 12-04-2018, 11:24 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ejnork
Gah, thanks for all of your replies. I am going to daily it not wanting to make too much noice because of my profession...

Seems that the CR car is a better deal, just not 100% sure about the color, although the pictures here makes me more interested.
I guess if you are a hit man, PI, or the like the red might not be a good idea.

Regarding the "better deal", spending 100K+ for a color you may not like doesn't seem like a "better deal". However, if how others might view you because your Porsche 911 is red is more the issue I feel you may be over-thinking this. People will judge. They'll judge a 911 and "maybe "slightly more a red 911. Unhappy people will REALLY judge. The only person that you can actually make happy is yourself. Get what makes you happy.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Absolute no-brainer. There's a reason they have standard colours, then metallic colours at a premium, and then premium colours at a ridiculous premium (like Carmine) when in fact they are the same paint quality as standard flat colours. It's much nicer and deeper than Guards Red and I believe is historically the original GTS colour. So whilst Guards is a classic colour, Carmine has prestige and a fair degree of exclusivity about it, given that most people also are reluctant to pay the extra for a flat colour when buying new off the options list. In the 70/80's, BMW (Zinnober Red I had) and VW (similar I had) specced as standard a bluey red very similar to Carmine. Then they changed to a brighter orangey red like Guards. Before my Jet Black 911, I had a Carmine 718, loved the colour but not the engine!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

All 911's are financially provocative but Carmine Red is more classy than flashy, provided you have a black interior. Nearly bought one when I got the black 911 instead but it had a two-tone crayon interior, very 'look at me'.

Quick Reply: Carmine red, dark or no?