Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first Porsche, am I crazy to road-trip it home with wife and kids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:56 PM
ragabnh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove previously from North Bend Oregon to San Francisco multiple times around 480 miles on highway 101, great scenery. I would think do it alone or with the wife, no Kids for sure.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Love road trips when buying 911s and have done two at opposite ends of the country, York Maine and Newport Beach CA. The CA trip was really nice except for a nice rock chip on the drivers mirror. My avatar pic shows us packing up in Colorado I’d do it again though. Only thing that beats this experience is Euro Delivery.

Go for it and enjoy.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 12-03-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:10 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Give me a break! It was from a dealership. Had it been a private sale, I might somewhat agree, but I bet if someone else came in that afternoon and offered more than he did, they would have sold it out from under him.
Exactly that happened to me less than 3 years ago on a Racing Yellow GTS with Aerocup kit and all my desired options, on the phone with a well known South Florida dealer. It was closing time Friday night when he agreed to my counter offer on the phone. I said it's your closing time. How about if I sleep on it and give you my credit card when you open tomorrow, because it was a big decision for me after just retiring and moving to Orlando He said fine, and agreed to call in the morning. Well, when he called in the AM, a doctor in Central America had already made a full price all cash offer for the GTS that he said he had to accept. So i moved on...
Old 12-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I did this trip in reverse in August, from Las Vegas to Seattle with my wife via Paso Roblas, Sonoma, and Napa, when I brought home my TTS. I would not recommend the kids with you in the car for the trip. Just take the wife, and enjoy the ride back!

The back seat is there, but isn't a place you want to keep the kids for any extended period of time. Also, there is very little room for luggage, if you will be taking any. With just the wife and I, we had the back full with three small suitcases. As it was a long distance trip, I had a box in the funk with everything I needed to take off and repair a tire if I got a flat so that I could make it to someplace that could either replace it, or at least fix it better. We did take some way out of the way spots on our trip where there wasn't even any cell access, so that was a concern for us.

Our two road trips in it were some of the best time we had in the vehicle this summer.

-TJ
Old 12-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Arxigos
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I've taken the family(wife and 5yo) from the bay area down to LA and San Diego numerous times and haven't had any problems. If you're breaking up the road trip and spending the night somewhere you should be fine. And of coarse the kids won't care if they have iPads.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:30 PM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

My kids did a 200 mile stint in the back of a base 991 that I rented on Turo without complaint. I think if I break up the drive with enough stops to smell the roses we should be OK. However, if the Seattle to Portland leg is absolutely intolerable, I can always buy the family plane tickets home from Portland.

As someone else pointed out, I'm looking at this kind of like European delivery but an American delivery instead!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
My kids did a 200 mile stint in the back of a base 991 that I rented on Turo without complaint. I think if I break up the drive with enough stops to smell the roses we should be OK. However, if the Seattle to Portland leg is absolutely intolerable, I can always buy the family plane tickets home from Portland.

As someone else pointed out, I'm looking at this kind of like European delivery but an American delivery instead!
Enjoy!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:28 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be a memorable trip home.

I drove my 964 home from Las Vegas to SoCal and my 997 home from the Bay Area as well. Although not nearly as long as you are planning it was a great time to learn the car and just enjoy. When you do the drive home make sure you post your adventures.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:34 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Huge thanks to rennlister @shake1 for letting me test fit my luggage this evening! Talk about going out of his way to welcome a new Porsche owner to the club. And it totally made my wife's day to know that 2 pieces of luggage (carry-on size) will fit. She was really freaked out not about the drive but about how little she was going to be able to bring.

We'll still have to pack light, but not as light as previously anticipated.

Sideways, stacked one on top of the other (obviously you can't see the one on the bottom but it's about the same size.) And yes, the frunk closes like that. Something tells me Porsche engineered it precisely to fit two bags.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 AM
CloudJumping
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will it be a tight fit?
likely.

but go with the feeling you want to create, thats why you got a porsche after all. dont listen to other peoples feeling of lack of comfortability. its different for everyone.

I would do it and align with what you want. Want a memorable trip with your car and family? you already have the answer, now just need to commit to a choice.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:53 PM
vincenz0
Racer

We booked the one-way plane tickets so this is happening!

Like I said though, if it goes super bad for the first 3-4 hours of driving the wife and kids will fly home from Portland.

I'm sure it's going to be awesome, rough plan is something like:

- Fly to Seattle, visit friends
- Ferry to Victoria for mini-vacation
- Ferry back to Seattle, pickup car
- Visit other friends in Seattle (and do laundry at their house!)
- Drive to Portland, stay overnight
- Drive to Crescent City, stay overnight
- Drive to Fort Bragg, stay overnight
- Drive to Mendicino, stay overnight
- Drive home
Old 12-05-2018, 01:51 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if you know, but these cars do not have spare tires.

Maybe it's the roads here but I have already had 3 punctures. Last road trip I took (San Diego to Ojai) got 2 in one trip. Not that it will happen to you, but have a plan (Porsche road side assistance, AAA, etc)

Luggage and space are not a big deal. It just forces you to pack light. The back seat is not that small (especially compared to previous versions). My 15 year old 5'7" daughter fits back there for little shorts trips all the time.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Very nice! It looks like you've broken up the potential slog nicely and turned it into a nice road trip all will remember for years to come.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:29 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Sounds like you have a great plan and even a backup if things are not super comfortable for everyone. Great job and enjoy the trip. Like someone said above make sure and have a roadside autoclub just in case something happens. AAA is like $120 for their high end plan that will tow your car up to 200 miles although you probably won’t need it. Make sure and take a bunch of pictures and share with us.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
We booked the one-way plane tickets so this is happening!

Like I said though, if it goes super bad for the first 3-4 hours of driving the wife and kids will fly home from Portland.

I'm sure it's going to be awesome, rough plan is something like:

- Fly to Seattle, visit friends
- Ferry to Victoria for mini-vacation
- Ferry back to Seattle, pickup car
- Visit other friends in Seattle (and do laundry at their house!)
- Drive to Portland, stay overnight
- Drive to Crescent City, stay overnight
- Drive to Fort Bragg, stay overnight
- Drive to Mendicino, stay overnight
- Drive home
Well done, YOLO!

Quick Reply: Just bought my first Porsche, am I crazy to road-trip it home with wife and kids?