Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 RWD GTS Carrera S Actual Wheel Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 02:24 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

everybody with center locks wants 5 lugs and everybody with 5 lug wants center locks, whatever you decide, you will regret it
The following users liked this post:
997GTScab (02-29-2020)
Old 11-30-2018, 02:34 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
everybody with center locks wants 5 lugs and everybody with 5 lug wants center locks, whatever you decide, you will regret it
Not "everybody". I'm very happy with my five lug wheels!
The following users liked this post:
997GTScab (02-29-2020)
Old 11-30-2018, 04:25 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I have CLs currently and had a 5 lugs before on my GTS. I prefer 5 lugs all the time.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:40 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Not "everybody". I'm very happy with my five lug wheels!

+1
Old 11-30-2018, 05:13 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
I don't think I'll regret sticking with the 5-lugs at all. I think I might have regretted the CLs, although probably not those either. I'm not big on regret. Time will tell.

With the non-CL wheels, I estimate I can change out the entire car myself in about 25 minutes, including jacking up the car. And I already own all the necessary equipment. If the 991.2 GTS has front and rear centered jack points (in addition to the 4 corner jack points), then it'd be more like 20 minutes.

I watched several videos on changing the CLs and, while it's not rocket science, it is a lot more involved, error prone, and messy and looks like it would take me 75 minutes. And I would have to purchase all the necessary equipment. Also, the heavy torque wrench and breaker bar put the paint at greater risk.

But ultimately, I just don't like the look of the CLs any better than the 5-lugs. Neither would be my first choice. But the slight asymmetrical nature of the Turbo S wheel design would bug me a little. Also the stock wheels will be perfect for winter tires (11.5" wheel is a better fitment for 295mm winter tires). So I'll have a winter set already (which is good because barring unforeseen delays, I'll need winters the first month or two I have the car). And I can use that first couple months to acquire exactly the wheels I want for a slightly wider summer setup.

If form follows function, I think I'm doing the right thing.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:20 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I want to clarify one thing that was said previously that is not accurate about the CLs. There's no need to jack up more than one corner at a time. I've done mine twice lifting one at a time and there's no reason to do it differently. The last time I used my new QuickJack, which was awesome and just made the process a breeze...
Old 11-30-2018, 05:47 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
I want to clarify one thing that was said previously that is not accurate about the CLs. There's no need to jack up more than one corner at a time. I've done mine twice lifting one at a time and there's no reason to do it differently. The last time I used my new QuickJack, which was awesome and just made the process a breeze...
A QuickJack would definitely speed things up.

Does Porsche not recommend jacking all 4 corners to change CLs? Thought I had read, in the GT3 forum, that it was part of Porsche's recommended instructions for some reason having to do with how the wheel seats itself. I could be wrong.

I would've been fine with the CLs, had I gone that route, even if I had to jack the whole car. Just prefer the 5-lugs, especially if I track the car.

Quick Reply: 991.2 RWD GTS Carrera S Actual Wheel Specs?