Sponsored by:

What is the reason people...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 12:43 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Completely different. The license plate is already a nickname of sort, your name doesn't show up anywhere. Only law enforcement is allowed to recover your name from the license plates.
This simply isn’t true. There are businesses that provide this information to dealers and banks. Here in CA, you can go to the DMV website and punch in a license plate to reveal owner and vehicle information, providing you are registered with the DMV as one of the approved business entities authorized for this service. Where to you think Carfax gets all their information? They ignore the PII but they could easily get that as well.

With a license plate, I can get:
- vehicle title, owner, lienholder, and addresses
- all vehicles titled at a specific address
- all vehicles registered to a specific person
- fees paid, or past due
- vehicle history
- electronic copies of transfer documents, with previous owner information
Old 11-23-2018, 12:49 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

You can run the plate number through the MyCARFAX app, and see car maintenance and other info.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:09 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the responses.
I will just assume that everyone that blurs it out online is also driving around with it covered. Many more people see the plate on the road than on a forum. As Alex_C said above it really does not accomplish much for your security.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:10 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mattyf
What is the reason... people make clickbait threads instead of putting the question in the title?
Well mainly because the question is to long to fit in the title box smart guy.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I will just assume that everyone that blurs it out online is also driving around with it covered. Many more people see the plate on the road than on a forum. As Alex_C said above it really does not accomplish much for your security.
Maybe, maybe not but even driving around 24/7 will not get you anywhere near the same (potential) online exposure ...

Reading your assumptions I guess the question was more rethorical than legit ...
Old 11-23-2018, 02:21 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark993TT

Maybe, maybe not but even driving around 24/7 will not get you anywhere near the same (potential) online exposure ...

Reading your assumptions I guess the question was more rethorical than legit ...
It wasn't really rhetorical. It was a legit question but none of the provided answers really gave a truly valid reason so that is what drove my response.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:54 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
What is the reason... people make clickbait threads instead of putting the question in the title?
Old 11-23-2018, 03:32 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

False assumption that is w/o proof. Do you or anyone you know go around jotting down random license numbers as you drive, or maybe focus on a particular vehicle and its tag number? I won't "assume" that you do or don't, but may infer that the probability of such an action is small.

However, a posting containing a license tag number is likely to persist on the internet for a very long time.

I believe you had you mind set on an answer when the post was made, I'm going to leave this thread alone, and emphasize that it's a personal choice based on what you determine are valid/invalid reasons.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:56 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 457 Likes on 259 Posts

That is a silly assumption. I walk around with my kids in public but I don’t post their pictures on random internet sites such as this. I enjoy the anonymity and don’t need random strangers having a posted documentation of my family. There are plenty of crazy people out there, no need to take any chances as small as they may be. Same with displaying the license plate. Why offer that information which someone with ill intentions could possibly use to locate you?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:41 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BSO
Do you or anyone you know go around jotting down random license numbers as you drive, or maybe focus on a particular vehicle and its tag number? .
Nope but I don't know anyone that does it on the internet either so what is your point?
Old 11-23-2018, 06:07 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default What is the reason people black out their license plate in online pictures?

No need for insults. I’m just being silly and calling like I see it. BTW your question fits just fine in the title box, even the long winded, original form.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

*too
Old 11-23-2018, 06:43 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Nope but I don't know anyone that does it on the internet either so what is your point?
You missed it, traffic and cars are gone once you drive past them, internet info tends to remain. As far you not knowing something doesn't happen, it doesn't rule out that it could be happening.

There's an immeasurable amount of "stuff" that I don't know anything about, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I wouldn't rule "something" out until there was justification showing a low likelihood of occurrence.

As I said before, you seem to have your mind made up about this, suit yourself and post your tag whenever you want. Others can block their tags if they wish, free will.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:21 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Because when I drive around, I am a man in a car. If someone wanted to grab my plate number they could. But they would just know what they know from that.

If they connected it to an online identity, they could search forums, see what I posted and know much more. Could know about events I've done, trips I've taken, etc.

All this is findable by a determined person, but no sense making it easy on someone.

Quick Reply: What is the reason people...