Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the do's and don'ts when getting a full PPF/warp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018 | 04:57 PM
911Nub
Intermediate

Question What are the do's and don'ts when getting a full PPF/warp?

Can you guys share your experience/feedback on full PPF/wraps with 991.2? I am a detail oriented person and want things to be done right. What do I ask for like edges, badges, decal, door handles, more? Things that I should or should not do like removing bumpers, head-lights, trims, etc... Any regrets for not having parts removed so the films can be all tugged in? Or regrets for trims removed but things are never the same after restinallation? Anything in general or specific to GT3? Anything specific to stealth wrap?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2018 | 05:01 PM
LexVan
Banned

Don't have the dealership do.
Do have paint correction first.
Do have a nano coating applied over the film.
Old 11-20-2018 | 05:11 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Can you help me out with this? Is the nano coating really beneficial over PPF? I had it done on my last car but logically I dont see what extra protection is offered when applied over PPF. When applied over the PPF what additional protection does it offer? It seems to me the PPF would be too porous and absorb the beneficial properties of the nano coat. Again, I had it done, I just have never heard an answer that convinced me it was a good idea. Nano coat over clearcoat - totally get it and worth it. Nano over PPF? Not convinced.

Completely agree with the other points!
Old 11-20-2018 | 05:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by spyderbret
Can you help me out with this? Is the nano coating really beneficial over PPF? I had it done on my last car but logically I dont see what extra protection is offered when applied over PPF. When applied over the PPF what additional protection does it offer? It seems to me the PPF would be too porous and absorb the beneficial properties of the nano coat. Again, I had it done, I just have never heard an answer that convinced me it was a good idea. Nano coat over clearcoat - totally get it and worth it. Nano over PPF? Not convinced.

Here's one, of many, great reads on this subject from last week. Make sure you read Moe's posts TWICE!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1072...op-of-ppf.html
Old 11-20-2018 | 05:22 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

The coating provides chemical resistance while the film provides for physical resistance from impacts like stones. While the film itself does have some chemical resistance properties, it's not as much as the coating. The one question that I still haven't heard a definitive answer to is, since films such as XPEL have self healing properties, how does the coating on top of the film impact the self healing capability of the film. Some? Not at all? Totally erases the self healing function of the film.

The biggest DO with PPF and coating is make sure you find someone that really knows what they are doing. Worth paying double to get a stellar job. A bad PPF job looks horrible and a bad coating job is just a waste of money.
Old 11-20-2018 | 05:34 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Here's one, of many, great reads on this subject from last week. Make sure you read Moe's posts TWICE!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1072...op-of-ppf.html
Good read, thanks! Dont know how I missed that!!!
Old 11-20-2018 | 05:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Good read, thanks! Dont know how I missed that!!!
We got ya, bro.
Old 11-20-2018 | 06:03 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

We got ya, bro.
Thanks!!

It's really simple. The PPF protects the paint from stuff like rock chips. The ceramic/nano/sealant coatings make the PPF super easy to wash, and stays cleaner, longer.
This really summed it up nicely for me. There were other good points, especially by Moe but this helped the most. Now to decide if it's worth it! I dont want to start that discussion here though!! LOL!
Old 11-20-2018 | 07:09 PM
good2go
Pro

Thumbs up another opinion

Don't have the dealership do.
Do have paint correction first.
I have almost exact opposite suggestion.

I priced and talked to 3 top organizations in town. They knew the team at Porsche and said they would do a great job. I had the dealer do it and they match the lowest price.

Porsche did paint correction and detailing before wrapping. Looks awesome.

I would not put a nano coat over it. Just not needed. Purchase a good sealant, and use it a lot to wipe down.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07893W54Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07893W54Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My last car was 100% wrapped, and the water always beaded like crazy. It could not have repelled water any more.

My last car was custom cut panels. This time I went with computer cut panels. It wraps most edges but some edges are cut really close to edge. Looks great. Super pleased.

I had the front badge removed, and the rear emblems. Replaced with only P OR S C H E in gloss black. The emblems are over the film. They can't cut around lettering tight enough.

I love having fully wrapped.
Old 11-20-2018 | 07:19 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

There is no doubt that the car should be wrapped. The protection the film offers is worth the cost. To repaint a hood would cost thousands, never be original and detract from the resale value.
As far as nano coating, I have done it on 2 cars, including on top of the current Xpel PPF and I again see no value in doing so. It offers absolutely nothing in my opinion.
I did it because the installer allowed me to use his shop for many many hours of unrelated work like tinting, stereo and radar install, wheels, etc. for free and as a "gift" I paid him for the coating but, it does nothing.

I can't say that I would allow any dealer to do the PPF as I feel that they outsource it anyway and there are shops that specialize in this and do nothing but PPF.
I would ask on the forums or look into installers in your area that are found on the Xpel or 3m or whoevers website as authorized installers and look into them.
Old 11-20-2018 | 07:54 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

I would go to a dealer to buy cars and on good days service them, but personally I WOULD NEVER go to a dealer do get anything else done. Let PPF professionals handle your PPF work.
Old 11-20-2018 | 09:35 PM
vitabrew
Intermediate

In regards to using a coating over a PPF film, I have been using them in various degrees for several years. In the last year I did a little experiment and had XPEL Ultimate plain, then topped with a sealant which was later removed then topped with a coating. In my experience sticky dirt like tree sap or bug guts would wash off the coating with hardly any effort. In contrast the PPF plain or topped with a sealant required extra time and elbow grease to remove such sticky contaminants. Sometimes the stubborn dirt would leave a stain on the plain or sealed PPF that had to be removed with a solvent like diluted alcohol. In the end the finish always looked great, but the coated PPF looked great with minimal time and effort.

If you are like me and you like to wash and maintain your vehicles yourself, it may be worth having the PPF coated. On the other hand if you like to have your vehicles maintained by someone else, you probably won't notice the difference.
Old 11-20-2018 | 10:01 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

I think film is mandatory on the front of a car, dont thing coating is worth it
Old 11-20-2018 | 11:18 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Xpel sells a sealant for use with PPF (not just theirs). Using something specially designed for PPF seems to make the most sense to me... and a $20 bottle will last a long time. http://www.xpel.com/product/xpel-ppf-sealant-16-oz/
Old 11-20-2018 | 11:28 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good2go
I have almost exact opposite suggestion.

I priced and talked to 3 top organizations in town. They knew the team at Porsche and said they would do a great job. I had the dealer do it and they match the lowest price.

Porsche did paint correction and detailing before wrapping. Looks awesome.

I would not put a nano coat over it. Just not needed. Purchase a good sealant, and use it a lot to wipe down. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 My last car was 100% wrapped, and the water always beaded like crazy. It could not have repelled water any more.

My last car was custom cut panels. This time I went with computer cut panels. It wraps most edges but some edges are cut really close to edge. Looks great. Super pleased.

I had the front badge removed, and the rear emblems. Replaced with only P OR S C H E in gloss black. The emblems are over the film. They can't cut around lettering tight enough.

I love having fully wrapped.
Nice, but your stripes are crooked.

Quick Reply: What are the do's and don'ts when getting a full PPF/warp?