Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the do's and don'ts when getting a full PPF/warp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018 | 03:12 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Based on a recommendation I saw earlier in the thread, I've just order the HydroSilex Rewind and Recharge product to experiment with using my wife's car ... it has the full frontal Xpel Ultimate custom install but no other coating so far, six months in and it still looks great but seems appropriate to use this reasonably-priced approach to enhance it to the next level. If it works well, then I'll probably just go the same route with the new car.
Old 11-22-2018 | 03:26 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Stop being so pedantic. And I'm not aware of residential landscape companies and handymen charging union airline pilot scale. So you missed the point. But at least you got the opportunity to tell everyone you are an airline captain.
Wow this thread has grown wings!

Maybe everyone should just pick up those keys and go for a sweet Thanksgiving blast!

Have a good one, I know I’m taking my “baby”.. sorry beast out today
Old 11-22-2018 | 11:23 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Default PPF and Clearplex protected

For the Porsche perfectionist that is looking for PPF & Windsheild protection I have a installer.This is my third car that I had done and I must say it was almost perfect I rated the overall job at a 98 . Nothing is perfect except for the drive. PM for details
Old 11-23-2018 | 09:44 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default I watched

Well it was in my garage and I watched the process that's how I am able to tell you how long it took. To be fair, I also bought a 6 pack and some pizza towards the end of the job so that was not included in the 2K cost. The one thing I can agree with below is that time is the only commodity you can not purchase. If you are financially in the 1% group I understand paying a bit more to avoid losing time. In this model however, I watched my vehicle get completed in one day whereas the installer above quoted over 50 hours. That is time and really time without your car. Im not sure how to square this delta. For me it is similar to travel, when you go to a place where a bunch of tourist go on a regular basis the pricing and economy will be aimed at tourist. When you go to a place that is not tourist based the economy is normal. As a 1% tourist, when I visit the same place that a guy has just paid $800 an hour to to perform a service I am not going to be happy with the pricing. This is the Porsche tax on any service. Again, this is about PPF not paint correction or mechanics time. I think a Porsche certified mechanic who generally gets paid around $65 an hour from the stealership should make more than my PPF installer. I have very little mechanical skill but can remove the bumper on my car in 25 minutes. For paint correction time, on a recent vehicle (a 26 year old 964) I did have the enamel paint corrected. The guy who owns the airforce 1 detailing team did spend about 5 to 6 hours on the car and it looked excellent when he was finished. He stopped at my house on his way to SEMA and charged me $350.

There's a TON here, I don't know where to start. But I wanted to make a couple quick observations.

To you, the car looks "excellent", and for the most part, that's all that matters......how YOU feel and perceive the value. If you're happy, that's all that matters. But, keep in mind, you can't even fully do a paint correction on a 991 in 8 hours. So, it's interesting to me how you had the whole job done in 8 hours.

Regarding how much someone should, or shouldn't, get paid for a job, I challenge you to shift your thinking and outlook. For high quality work and high value, with great customer service, I make my buying decisions for services (house, cars, yard, whatever) based on what MY TIME is worth, not what I think that man or women deserves to be paid. I do this because if they aren't doing it for me, I'm the one who would be having to do it, and I know the value of my time. Then I can use my time to do the things I truly enjoy, or do the other things in life that require my presence. We all only have a limited amount of free time.
Old 11-23-2018 | 11:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

^thank you Bud Taylor, hey, OT, but are there any good YouTube videos showing the standard 991 bumper removal? And easily done without a lift?
Old 11-24-2018 | 01:30 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default yep here is the link

No lift needed for back or front bumper. Side lights are a little fiddly but once you get right angle they pop right out. I put a blanket down to lay bumper on so as not to scratch it. I also put screws in a piece of cardboard shaped how they go back as I suffer from CRS.

Front bumper
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DoutHtSXhrRE&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjqtZr7xO3eAhUSx1kKHdypBaIQtwIwAH oECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0zxtks4Re5KzRRY8JQiW-p

Rear bumper
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AplO_9LgPPE

^thank you Bud Taylor, hey, OT, but are there any good YouTube videos showing the standard 991 bumper removal? And easily done without a lift?
Old 11-25-2018 | 12:30 AM
mickf16
Cruisin'

Clear bra the headlights or leave them uncovered? What are the pros & cons?
My installer says they don’t (usually) clear bra 991 headlights because the shape of the headlights are such that the edges don’t adhere well and removing the film introduces the risk of pulling off the factory-applied coating on the lens.
New headlight units cost $3600 each so do I protect them with film and run the risk of ruining them if/when I remove the film or do I leave them uncovered and risk damage from road debris?
Old 11-25-2018 | 01:14 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mickf16
My installer says they don’t (usually) clear bra 991 headlights because the shape of the headlights are such that the edges don’t adhere well and removing the film introduces the risk of pulling off the factory-applied coating on the lens.
New headlight units cost $3600 each so do I protect them with film and run the risk of ruining them if/when I remove the film or do I leave them uncovered and risk damage from road debris?
great question...completely installer skill-based and we DO cover them with ppf. If your installer is not comfortable doing it, don’t force him/her

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1044...ght-issue.html
Old 11-26-2018 | 05:10 PM
mickf16
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mickf16
Thanks for the replies!! I have decided to use XPel Ultimate Plus again because I have been highly satisfied with XPel products on my other cars. I’ve had the headlights done on lenses with even more expemsive replacement costs. The peace of mind of protecting the headlights with XPel definitely outweighs the POSSIBILITY of MAYBE pulling the protective coating off the GT3 RS headlights. Thanks for the video (Moe) of the proper way to remove the film with steam heat—More peace of mind. Porsche Chandler (Arizona) is a certified XPel dealer with highly trained installers so I have faith in their ability to do the job right and it’ll be convenient to have them do any warranty work I may need. I have seen their facilities and their results and know they’re right for me. My car arrives from Euro Delivery this week and the XPel Ultimate Plus protective film wrap should be completed shortly thereafter. Super excited!! Thanks again to Rennlist.
Old 11-26-2018 | 05:30 PM
911Nub
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
A little late to the party, but I can see several rennlisters already giving excellent advice...thank you LexVan.

this is an excellent question by the OP. In our industry, some consumers assume you’re buying a set of tires, instead of treating this like a professional relationship like a doctor or attorney. You’d never shop around a cardiologist to find the best ”deal” on a bypass, so the same goes here.

these cars are worth more than the house we grew up in as a child. Heck, they’re worth more than some houses today. So, getting the most qualified professional that you can afford, will bring lots of value to you as the consumer.

ppf/tint/nano/customizations/etc. aren’t something you do every few months like filling up air in your tires. These are semi-permanent enhancement and protection that last years. So, spend the extra $$$ and do it right the first time.

as it relates to ppf:

1. DO ask if the installer specializes in YOUR vehicle. For example, we do amazing jobs on Porsche/Tesla/Ferrari...give me a Jeep or a VW, and it may take me 2-3 times to get it perfect...call it muscle memory and perfecting your craft. Sort of like going to a neurologist instead of a GP for your migraine headaches.

2. DO ask what is included in your installation. By that, I mean every piece that’s covered. Will edges be wrapped? If so, which ones? For example, a 991 fender has 8 edges...we wrap 7/8 on our typical installations. If a typical fender takes 15 minutes to install with “standard” wrapped edges, a semi-custom like ours takes 2-3x...time = $$

3. DO ask if you can stop in and see work in progress. Any shop that’s proud of their work has no problem. We have an open-door policy at GP. Potential clients are welcome and appointments are highly recommended. Existing clients with projects in production, they NEVER have to give us a heads up...they are welcome to see their car any time. That’s the ultimate test of “popping” in and checking the work

4. DON’T just call around like you’re buying tires. This a service gentleman. We all start with the same material, but what we do with it separates all of us. Think of it like going out to dinner. You can get a meal, juicy steak comes to mind, and you can spend $10 or $100+ on your meal. It’s about quality, service, and VALUE.

5. DON’T assume fancy Instagram and Facebook cars on company page means quality work. Nothing beats referrals, vetting by others in community, and just the old-fashioned phone call, or heaven forbid in this day and age, face-to-face 😮

6. DO ask a lot of questions that are on your mind. No such thing as a dumb question. You should be well-informed and know exactly what you’re paying for. You’re shelling out a good sum of $$ for these services, you better be advised on where your money is going. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people saying, “Moe, I used another guy to save money and now I’m not happy and want you to redo it.” I’ll ask what film was used, or what the nano process was, or coating used, and 9/10 times, client doesn’t know. So, buyer beware...if a shop doesn’t answer your questions in a polite and informative manner, that should be the first red flag. No matter how busy I am, my sales calls are done with extreme attention and care.

7. DO enjoy the process. None of us NEED these cars...it’s a want and luxury. So, treat yourself to the experience and be coddled. For us guys, it’s the equivalent of having a baby. Have fun, and work with people that enhance that experience and make you and your car feel special. As cheesy as it sounds, you’ve worked your *** off to get here...you deserve the best

hopefully this helps.

please let me know what questions you guys have, and I’ll be happy to give you my 2 cents
Wow, great advices! Thanks!
Old 11-27-2018 | 01:51 AM
wlscrib
Intermediate

Default And Forward Service

There's a TON here, I don't know where to start. But I wanted to make a couple quick observations.

To you, the car looks "excellent", and for the most part, that's all that matters......how YOU feel and perceive the value. If you're happy, that's all that matters. But, keep in mind, you can't even fully do a paint correction on a 991 in 8 hours. So, it's interesting to me how you had the whole job done in 8 hours.

Regarding how much someone should, or shouldn't, get paid for a job, I challenge you to shift your thinking and outlook. For high quality work and high value, with great customer service, I make my buying decisions for services (house, cars, yard, whatever) based on what MY TIME is worth, not what I think that man or women deserves to be paid. I do this because if they aren't doing it for me, I'm the one who would be having to do it, and I know the value of my time. Then I can use my time to do the things I truly enjoy, or do the other things in life that require my presence. We all only have a limited amount of free time.
Well put above, all to one’s expectations,

To add, choosing the level of what one expects from a service in this thread beyond quality goes far beyond the initial install, quality, price, and time are human nature in deciding initially in how to go about an investment on an existing asset. If that asset is something of value as a home or auto (which if looking for advice on this site your auto surely is) then you should also query how future incidents, imperfections, and support of these will be handled. I put a full wrap on my C4S with the outlook of being a future value or insurance if have you on the longevity of my paint and freedom of driving hard as I do on harsh road conditions where I drive.

The price you you pay upfront may seem excessive to some or fair, even a good bargain. Just make sure you view this as long term vest as you will occur instances that you don’t initially consider upon initial decision with if, who, and how to apply.

To wit, I had a very minor lift on the inside of my sport rear view mirror (if I didn’t detail my car myself I may not have noticed until later). I sent pic to Moe and was assured on reply would be taken care of next time in. Great!

OF NOTE, I was lightly sideswiped by another driver out of state which compromised the integrity and value of the PPF install on side rear bumper. No damage was done to the bumper or even the paint beneat. Light damage done to the PPF however noticeable and frustrating as was just wrapped 40 days prior. I took all reasonable actions with the other driver’s insurer then contacted my installer. I would not be his way for another five months yet he asssured me to let him have adjuster come to his shop when back in the area. I did just such, day after their adjuster met with Moe, I received notification that I would receive a full bumper rewrap That to all who are reading is service beyond what I would expect my dealer to get done. Having your professional there to explain the exact process and show the initial invoice and what goes into that price is invaluable. I never expected to get the full amount in repair as viewed as aftermarket. Not only did I get full repair reimbursed but never had contact with other’s insurance which was a huge factor in my time and worth. It all comes back to what your expectations are for a service but be sure to assess forward situations and use judgment on how you expect the unexpected to be handled.

Old 11-27-2018 | 04:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 11-27-2018 | 04:40 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wlscrib

Well put above, all to one’s expectations,

To add, choosing the level of what one expects from a service in this thread beyond quality goes far beyond the initial install, quality, price, and time are human nature in deciding initially in how to go about an investment on an existing asset. If that asset is something of value as a home or auto (which if looking for advice on this site your auto surely is) then you should also query how future incidents, imperfections, and support of these will be handled. I put a full wrap on my C4S with the outlook of being a future value or insurance if have you on the longevity of my paint and freedom of driving hard as I do on harsh road conditions where I drive.

The price you you pay upfront may seem excessive to some or fair, even a good bargain. Just make sure you view this as long term vest as you will occur instances that you don’t initially consider upon initial decision with if, who, and how to apply.

To wit, I had a very minor lift on the inside of my sport rear view mirror (if I didn’t detail my car myself I may not have noticed until later). I sent pic to Moe and was assured on reply would be taken care of next time in. Great!

OF NOTE, I was lightly sideswiped by another driver out of state which compromised the integrity and value of the PPF install on side rear bumper. No damage was done to the bumper or even the paint beneat. Light damage done to the PPF however noticeable and frustrating as was just wrapped 40 days prior. I took all reasonable actions with the other driver’s insurer then contacted my installer. I would not be his way for another five months yet he asssured me to let him have adjuster come to his shop when back in the area. I did just such, day after their adjuster met with Moe, I received notification that I would receive a full bumper rewrap That to all who are reading is service beyond what I would expect my dealer to get done. Having your professional there to explain the exact process and show the initial invoice and what goes into that price is invaluable. I never expected to get the full amount in repair as viewed as aftermarket. Not only did I get full repair reimbursed but never had contact with other’s insurance which was a huge factor in my time and worth. It all comes back to what your expectations are for a service but be sure to assess forward situations and use judgment on how you expect the unexpected to be handled.

thanks for sharing your thoughts Bill...it truly validates why we do what we do.

a car, typically, is arguably a depreciating asset. When I designed MY business model, one of the key considerations was actually my client’s TIME. To me, that’s one of the most valuable assets I want to protect and buy more of.

In your case Bill, you’ve realized, YOU didn’t have to be here to point out what the damage was. YOU didn’t have to instruct me, or my staff, on what the “game plan” and final resolution was to make you satisfied. YOU didn’t have to gather all the necessary paperwork to have ready for adjuster to evaluate upon his arrival. YOU did not have to be here to go over the damage with the adjuster. YOU didn’t have to be here to negotiate a suitable resolution with insurance company.

Instead, YOUR installer, and his team, did ALL that work and achieved an outcome that was in all party’s best interest. In that span of time, how much of your time, and brain power, was freed up to do what you value with YOUR time? To me, that’s priceless.

Gentleman, that’s the VALUE proposition. I can only speak for us, but we enjoy this and are very good at it. Every member of our organization is truly here to serve our clients in a manner consistent with my vision. Because without quality clients, we’d be out of business. So, it’s a symbiotic relationship.

Hope that hat makes sense.

Worth mentioning, while Bill’s car is in here for rear bumper ppf R&R, we noticed a small coolant leak. The vehicle is now being flatbed transported to local Porsche dealer, to our personal service adviser that stays in direct contact with our shop, and everything is being handled as if Bill himself would be doing if he was even in this state Cost of this level of service....$0.00 Earning client trust, handling and getting job done, and further strengthening relationship...priceless.

Thank you Bill for trusting in us and allowing us to give you the service you expect and deserve.

Quick Reply: What are the do's and don'ts when getting a full PPF/warp?