Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 12:14 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
high 50s to mid 70s
Michelin Cup 2
33 psi warm front, 41psi warm rear (pressures would constantly be off)

I just switched out the stock wheels for HRE R101 LW, same tires. 32 front 39 rear. I've driven around quite a bit and the pressures have stayed all consistent unlike before.

This definitely fixed the problem. I've also noticed a small change in the steering feel. The car feels like a scalpel now.

I must say that even when brand new, with the stock P Zero the car always felt a bit squirmy. I constantly had issues with all 4 pressures to symmetrically match. They would constantly be mismatched by 1-4psi. This leads me to believe there was something up with the stock wheels.

Stock alignment.

KPH not MPH
Cup 2's get slippery above 36 on the track, most guys shoot for around 32front,34 rear HOT tire pressure, and go out much lower. 2psi split between the front and rear will be a much better split for aggressive driving and will make the rear more controllable. Porsche's "comfort pressure"at partial load is 29f/31r cold at 68deg, if that makes you more comfortable lowering pressures
Old 11-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
A couple things, that I noted above in your response.

1) If you are going to run 32 front, back your rears down by another 1 PSI. Go to 38 on the rears. Look for additional improvement. Maybe do another 1 PSI reduction, and re-test. So try 32/38 or 32/37.

2) I like your Walter Rohrl quote! This "scalpel" feeling has alot to your switch to Cup 2s.

3) Just remember the Cup 2s will decrease your wet and cold performance. But increase your dry traction. That's the trade off.
Originally Posted by mtksurfj
Immediately thought of tire pressure when OP mentioned the handling situation. Too much pressure makes a 911 a mess. I think your starting (cold) pressures are too high in the rear... I would baseline off comfort partial load and experiment from there.
Originally Posted by fsmich
Cup 2's get slippery above 36 on the track, most guys shoot for around 32front,34 rear HOT tire pressure, and go out much lower. 2psi split between the front and rear will be a much better split for aggressive driving and will make the rear more controllable. Porsche's "comfort pressure"at partial load is 29f/31r cold at 68deg, if that makes you more comfortable lowering pressures

Thanks guys, I didn't know this.

What difference is made when comfort/full load are checked vs unchecked?
Old 11-22-2018, 03:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Thanks guys, I didn't know this.

What difference is made when comfort/full load are checked vs unchecked?
It will help your TPMS and not give you false warnings and unnecessary alerts.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:56 PM
mtksurfj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those settings are just baseline and for throwing warnings. You’ve gotta actually let air out of yer tires manually
Old 11-22-2018, 05:28 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Ahh, got ya!

I have also noticed the car handles undulations in the road much better now. Especially through turns!

It totally feels like it's on rails now.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Old 11-22-2018, 09:23 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,016 Likes on 644 Posts

Great fan of RAS - basically (in effect) it gives you an an extra 1.5 degrees of slip angle and given tires commonly have ~ 4 degrees of slip..............the advantage is indeed significant.

I have heard of two reliable reports that RAS can "over heat" - one is from a serious GT3 racer (on this forum) and the other is from a new race mechanic I use. The latter attributed it to using slicks thereby overloading the RAS rams due the very, high loading slicks generate. I iterate this is in state/national level competition.

Basically very robust and effective and certainly not an issue with MPSC2 N1 at their best.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

I love the RAS and SPASM and PDCC on my GTS in all situations especially when I disable ESC completely in the wet. makes for fun little chris harris moments and is more correctable
Old 11-24-2018, 10:28 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,306 Likes on 733 Posts

Ahh, got ya!

I have also noticed the car handles undulations in the road much better now. Especially through turns!

It totally feels like it's on rails now.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Gotta love proper tire pressure.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:22 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 307 Posts

For street use, after numerous adjustments, I'm now running 60-70°F cold tire pressures of 30/35 psi front /rear. Dealer had them set up at 32/38. And I switched my system tire pressure to "Comfort Setting", to avoid low pressure alarms.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:05 PM
Andy_C_991
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For whatever reason I find myself with a street car trying to make a race car... again. Anyway, is there anyone out there that has successfully turned off rear wheel steering on a 2016 GT3 RS? And, if so, there are two folks here that would really like to know how you did that and if you would be willing to share. Here's what I know (have heard), you can buy a link to replace the RWS motor but the folks that sell them don't know how that affects any alarms that may be thrown if you just unplug and dump the motor. I have heard that it can be turned off in PVIS - anyone? If I go with the replace link, has anyone made a motor simulator, may be just a high power resistor? Is there any feedback from the motor to the computer? In other words, is the system closed loop or open loop?

STREET GUYS THAT LOVE RWS PLEASE DON'T POLUTE THIS THREAD - APPRECIATED.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:52 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 249 Posts

Does anybody have info on how to disable the rear steer system?

It's really beginning to bother me. Maybe I'm not as good a driver in this car but during mid corner correction the rear end of the car is unstable and tail happy. Sometimes I when I correct I have to recorrect again and sometimes again. This doesnt make for a fun and stable ride. I realize this is all in my initial steering input but I dont want to change my driving habits because of this feature.

At lower speeds its brilliant but at high speeds (triple digit) its sketchy. Especially through quick turns.

Wheres the fuse if theres even one?

BGB, you still posting here?
I feel like I got used to it on the 991.1 GT3, only to feel that it was tuned differently on the 991.2 GT3 with some variability at times that I wasn't wanting anything to be changing. Twice got the 991.2 sideways in a really unpredicted way. I'm not a fan personally. You should be able to delete it somehow.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:12 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Worth noting, this is a years-old thread and the OP has been banned from rennlist.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:25 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Maybe post in the GT3 forum too. Too many pollutant street guys in here, probably.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:17 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 501 Posts

When braking at speed while steering wheel is turned, the RWS will attempt to go to neutral and this feels like steering wheel shake. Many vids of drivers on track with shuddering steering wheels and this is not them driving over the curb since they took the corner tight. It’s the rws trying to neutralize.
The following users liked this post:
PLAY_HRD (06-07-2022)
Old 07-16-2021, 12:32 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 424 Posts

I have RAS. I’m happy I have this feature because I know it’s purpose and function. But I have to admit that it’s taking me time getting used to how sensitive the steering is. I know it’s a good thing, that the car changes lanes effortlessly, would make lap times better on curvy tracks, and the other benefits even in daily driving. But for me, I notice that if I take my eyes off the road for even the slightest moment, and if my hands aren’t rock steady in holding the wheel, that I will easily drift to one side a bit. So all that really means to me is that I have room to improve as a driver despite the fact I’ve been driving a long long time. In my Lexus, I can literally turn my head around to make a funny face to my kids in the back seat and not drift a millimeter off course (not that that’s safe or that I do that frequently).

Quick Reply: How to disable RWS?