Sponsored by:

How to disable RWS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:53 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts
Default How to disable RWS?

Does anybody have info on how to disable the rear steer system?

It's really beginning to bother me. Maybe I'm not as good a driver in this car but during mid corner correction the rear end of the car is unstable and tail happy. Sometimes I when I correct I have to recorrect again and sometimes again. This doesnt make for a fun and stable ride. I realize this is all in my initial steering input but I dont want to change my driving habits because of this feature.

At lower speeds its brilliant but at high speeds (triple digit) its sketchy. Especially through quick turns.

Wheres the fuse if theres even one?

BGB, you still posting here?
Old 11-20-2018, 06:20 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have RWS on mine and have not noticed anything like that; the faster I go, the more “solid” it seems when cornering/manoeuvring. This is at serious speed as well.

Tyre pressures? Alignment? Shocks? Bushing? With ESP/PDCC, etc. you can have a mechanical issue which can be mostly hidden by the electronics compensating. The quoted behaviour doesn’t seem right...
Old 11-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
I have RWS on mine and have not noticed anything like that; the faster I go, the more “solid” it seems when cornering/manoeuvring. This is at serious speed as well.

Tyre pressures? Alignment? Shocks? Bushing? With ESP/PDCC, etc. you can have a mechanical issue which can be mostly hidden by the electronics compensating. The quoted behaviour doesn’t seem right...
When I turn the wheel fairly aggressively the car turns, theres a brief delay followed by the car leaning into the corner. I can make this happen every time and its obvious it's the RWS changing the toe of the rear wheels.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:09 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Does anybody have info on how to disable the rear steer system?

It's really beginning to bother me. Maybe I'm not as good a driver in this car but during mid corner correction the rear end of the car is unstable and tail happy. Sometimes I when I correct I have to recorrect again and sometimes again. This doesnt make for a fun and stable ride. I realize this is all in my initial steering input but I dont want to change my driving habits because of this feature.

At lower speeds its brilliant but at high speeds (triple digit) its sketchy. Especially through quick turns.

Wheres the fuse if theres even one?

BGB, you still posting here?
BBI Autosport or Tarret have a RAS delete kit. Basically take it out and replace with a bar. I deliberately ordered mine without RAS I am old school, I don't want my toe changing mid corner.
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (07-15-2021)
Old 11-20-2018, 07:10 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Like This, but this is the other 3.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I assume these triple digits are on the track? Maybe it's time to get someone in the passenger seat, and work on your driving line and skills? Preferably an instructor with RWS experience. Should be an easy find within your local PCA.

Porsche put RWS on the car for a reason. And have set records with it on the GT3RS, GT2RS, and the GT3.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (07-15-2021)
Old 11-20-2018, 08:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Like This, but this is the other 3.
OT- cool avatar, 4 Point 0, is that a Raby built monster? Nice!

Old 11-20-2018, 10:59 AM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone else with negative experience with RAS??

Would love to hear if any out there...
Old 11-20-2018, 11:07 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by jkyrennist
Would love to hear if any out there...
Ask this on the 991 GT3 Forum, too.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by LexVan
I assume these triple digits are on the track? Maybe it's time to get someone in the passenger seat, and work on your driving line and skills? Preferably an instructor with RWS experience. Should be an easy find within your local PCA.

Porsche put RWS on the car for a reason. And have set records with it on the GT3RS, GT2RS, and the GT3.
That's a possibility. Theres no doubt this feature helps set lap records and what not. It could be just me as mentioned.

4.0, do you know if theres a fuse or plug I can pull? I don't mind a warning on the dash. I'd just like to try it disabled first before modifying the car.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:33 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

What the OP describes is so unique given every other posted description and Porsche's own testing of AWS, it is likely that his system is misbehaving. If that is due to misalignment, tire pressures being off or something else mechanical or environmental (as opposed to unusual driving technique) then disabling it will make no difference.

Pulling a fuse may or may not achieve the desired effect. That is it may not default to a no or neutral impact configuration. Best to check with a trained and certified factory mechanic.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:49 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
OT- cool avatar, 4 Point 0, is that a Raby built monster? Nice!
Thanks, built by Rothsport.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:54 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psorcery

4.0, do you know if theres a fuse or plug I can pull? I don't mind a warning on the dash. I'd just like to try it disabled first before modifying the car.
Sorry mate, I don't know. But I do know it is a popular delete with the GT3 guys. There have been some over heating and failure of the RAS. A few times when I have made enquiries about rose joints and various bars, I was asked if I wanted RAS delete. I never had it to start with. No race car has it. I'm sure it would help a novice. But it's not really going to do a lot for a seasoned pro. They most likely prefer crisper feedback on the edge. Before I ordered my car, I asked a lot of track guys and PDE and everyone said, it was a don't need item. I like analogue as well. No PDCC either. RWD.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:02 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Haven't heard any negatives on RAS, but as everyone is probably now aware, the Porsche test team found RAS & PDCC lowered lap times around the Ring considerably (near 30 seconds). Personally, i am still amazed at how how much better the handling and agility of my new one, at any speed, compared to my '15 C2S. If your alignment, tire pressures and car systems are found to be correct, you might want find a good Porsche driving instructor for a second opinion.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Nathan_
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Haven't heard any negatives on RAS, but as everyone is probably now aware, the Porsche test team found RAS & PDCC lowered lap times around the Ring considerably (near 30 seconds). Personally, i am still amazed at how how much better the handling and agility of my new one, at any speed, compared to my '15 C2S. If your alignment, tire pressures and car systems are found to be correct, you might want find a good Porsche driving instructor for a second opinion.
And yet again the same gets posted, seems one guy makes it up and everyone repeats...

If PDCC and RAS are good for 30 seconds then you are saying that a 991.2 GTS with neither option is 4 seconds slower than a 997.2 S round there, have a little think about that knowing the chassis, weight, power and tyres technology advantages the 991 platform has...

Quick Reply: How to disable RWS?