Sponsored by:

Seatbelt mechanism ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:25 PM
MasterA
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Seatbelt mechanism ticking sound

So, when I’m driving and I’m moving in my seat/movements to the seatbelt mechanism I hear a little ticking sound coming from the area where the seatbelt goes into the car pillar. Is this normal?

The sound resembles a fainter child safety seatbelt locking sound. Has anyone come across this issue in their 991.1? I have 2 years on the warranty, the car is just currently in storage. Any help would be great!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterA
So, when I’m driving and I’m moving in my seat/movements to the seatbelt mechanism I hear a little ticking sound coming from the area where the seatbelt goes into the car pillar. Is this normal?

The sound resembles a fainter child safety seatbelt locking sound. Has anyone come across this issue in their 991.1? I have 2 years on the warranty, the car is just currently in storage. Any help would be great!
Could be one of several things --- There is a bolt that could be loose and letting the metal assembly holding the belt to the frame "rattle" slightly. Also there is a clamp that should only be engaging under hard braking and potentially that is toggling which creates that sound. Lastly, check the plastic trim where the belt goes into the pillar. If you put your hand on it when you hear the sound and press, are you able to stop it? I had something similar and just needed an adjustment to get rid of the rattling. This was on my C4S few years ago.

At any rate, esp as you are still under warranty -- when you get the car out of hibernation have the dealer take a look. Won't cost you more than your time I bet.....
Old 11-25-2018, 11:43 AM
MasterA
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Could be one of several things --- There is a bolt that could be loose and letting the metal assembly holding the belt to the frame "rattle" slightly. Also there is a clamp that should only be engaging under hard braking and potentially that is toggling which creates that sound. Lastly, check the plastic trim where the belt goes into the pillar. If you put your hand on it when you hear the sound and press, are you able to stop it? I had something similar and just needed an adjustment to get rid of the rattling. This was on my C4S few years ago.

At any rate, esp as you are still under warranty -- when you get the car out of hibernation have the dealer take a look. Won't cost you more than your time I bet.....
Thank you for the tips, I’ll bring her in after storage!

Quick Reply: Seatbelt mechanism ticking sound