Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mulling over ordering my first new 911 (991.2 GTS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 06:08 AM
hopwood
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow you are so right about the vents!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJXGVKQ4
Old 11-20-2018, 06:13 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I am good at spending other people’s money.

I won’t even try to talk you out of deleting the sunroof ....
Old 11-20-2018, 06:38 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I’d think carefully about ditching the PDK, especially as your profile says you live in London. It’s excellent in traffic but telepathic when pushing on; IMHO it suits the character of the car perfectly. It’s so bl**dy quick that I prefer to have both hands on the wheel, not being Lewis Hamilton, plus I couldn’t change gears at the rate or with the smoothness that the PDK can. You can always go “manual” with it if you want.

You also get the different driving modes, “push to pass”, launch control and the range is better if you need it. 21st century gearbox for a 21st century car...
Old 11-20-2018, 07:53 AM
hopwood
Racer

I now work in London, commuting in by train each day, and live in the Kent countryside. Good points though... will keep thinking about that one
Old 11-20-2018, 08:43 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by hopwood
Good point, anyone have a pic of this?
Bah, it's not so bad...

Old 11-20-2018, 11:18 AM
hopwood
Racer

The great news is that I have now had a decent trade in offer from OPC. So it looks like I'm going ahead with a new 911, a first for me after years of owning Porsches. Very exciting.

It turns out I have a choice of GTS Coupe, GTS Cab or 4 GTS Cab. Will get the wife involved on that one... the 991 does look great in cabriolet form with its swept rear deck
Old 11-20-2018, 11:36 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The great news is that I have now had a decent trade in offer from OPC. So it looks like I'm going ahead with a new 911, a first for me after years of owning Porsches. Very exciting.

It turns out I have a choice of GTS Coupe, GTS Cab or 4 GTS Cab. Will get the wife involved on that one... the 991 does look great in cabriolet form with its swept rear deck
I got a GTS cab since I had never had a cab before, I absolutely love it. There's nothing like dropping the top on a beautiful day. Or even on a brisk day, with the heater going. With the 991 chassis you're making almost no sacrifices in stiffness or performance, it's just a blast with the top up or top down.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:24 PM
hopwood
Racer

Right... cooked my wife a lovely dinner and then we went through the configurator... she hated the cognac / espresso so we went back to GT silver over black alcantara, all GTS packages and sports buckets and I have to say I think that will be awesome.

Biggest decision was coupe or cab, we think coupe with the manual box.

Here she is
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJTJYS65

The only thing I am not sure about is the glass roof. As it spoils the clean roof line. But having a pano glass roof makes the cabin a lot nicer - we have it on my wife's Tiguan and we love it. But not totally sure.

As before, would massively appreciate any pointers as to spec things we may have missed - the configurator (what a wonderful word) is a minefield!

Cheers,

Joel
Old 11-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

If you cannot decide between a coupe or cab you would love the targa.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:52 PM
hopwood
Racer

Can't order a Targa in the UK any more.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:11 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

How about full espresso? I admit two tone with cognac is a bit much, but espresso is very classy. What does the wife say about that? Also, I would have the two of you go see the interiors as the configurator is not a great representation (it makes cognac look lighter and more yellow than it is, for example).

I have to say the feel of natural leather (espresso or espresso/cognac) is vastly better to me than the standard black leather and I don’t like alcantara.

Of course, the cream of the crop is leather to sample, but I doubt you get one built before the end of production.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:36 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

hopwood, nice build - if you're on the fence about the sunroof, go and look at one. It's not a pano by any means, it's a much narrower hole on the inside and the glass goes back only about 2/3 of the depth. My pre-owned has it but luckily the car is black so not really noticeable.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:13 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sunroof in glass looks better than solid colour in my mind. The black glass contrast to the GT silver paint looks particularly good.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Right... cooked my wife a lovely dinner and then we went through the configurator... she hated the cognac / espresso so we went back to GT silver over black alcantara, all GTS packages and sports buckets and I have to say I think that will be awesome.

Biggest decision was coupe or cab, we think coupe with the manual box.

Here she is
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJTJYS65

The only thing I am not sure about is the glass roof. As it spoils the clean roof line. But having a pano glass roof makes the cabin a lot nicer - we have it on my wife's Tiguan and we love it. But not totally sure.

As before, would massively appreciate any pointers as to spec things we may have missed - the configurator (what a wonderful word) is a minefield!

Cheers,

Joel
Nice spec. I have a GT Silver C4 GTS. Personally, I would drop the FAL (it's unnecessary) and I'm not a fan of the glass sunroof (aesthetically). I did the standard painted sunroof on my car and I'm sorry I even did that as I rarely use it. Just my .02. I'm a big fan of the sport design option, which is nothing more than a subtle mini-duck curve on the spoiler, but I love the look.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
Sunroof in glass looks better than solid colour in my mind. The black glass contrast to the GT silver paint looks particularly good.

Depends on how much you like the glass - it does let a lot of light in, even with the sunshade. I think it is a no-brainer on a black car (blends right in) and also would look good on a white or silver car (if you like having the glass). If you are not a glass fan, the solid works great.

(One reason I opted for solid over glass is that I wanted to see more of that beautiful Sapphire Blue! )

I have had 991's with glass and steel sunroofs before. My current one has the steel sunroof.

Quick Reply: Mulling over ordering my first new 911 (991.2 GTS)