Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mulling over ordering my first new 911 (991.2 GTS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 04:49 PM
hopwood
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mulling over ordering my first new 911 (991.2 GTS)

Hi everyone,

I usually hang out on the 928 forum, but wandered into an OPC the other day and had a good long look at a 991. Having seen the spy shots of the 992, I've suddenly realised what a pretty car the 991 is. Shame I can't order one with the 3.8 n/a engine but I went in a 991.2 GTS recently with sports buckets and Michelin Cup 2s and it just struck me as a real "do anything" car.

I own a 2013 McLaren 12C Spider which I've been trying to sell privately, but can't get any interest in, so I thought I would offer it to the OPC, and at the same time as that thought, a forum friend cancelled their GTS coupe order, so there is suddenly a car available which can be specced. Came up with this
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJKVAXK8

What do you all think of the spec, and am I mad to order a 991.2 now?

Cheers,

Joel
PS: Would LOVE a GT3 but I guess they have finished making those now
Old 11-19-2018, 09:07 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Nice build. I'd had loved to get the sport buckets but they're not an option on the GTS in the USA. GT3 allocations are still available here.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:17 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I personally don't care for the adaptive Cruise Control, because the car suddenly slows down whenever someone pulls in front of you on the highway. I'd take the money and use it for something you'd rather have,perhaps leather seats. As far as a 992 vs a 991.2 that's up to you. If it were a Targa or Cabriolet there'd be no question on getting a 991.2, since it would be a long wait. I my opinion if its dollar for dollar (or pound for pound) I'd go for the 992, but if there is a large difference in price the 991.2 would be it. But, this is my opinion, you are the buyer. Either way you're getting a wonderful car that you'll be very happy with.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:31 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I also don't like the adaptive cruise control, it adds a pretty ugly wart in the middle of the front bumper.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

You would not be "mad" ordering a 991.2...many of us here recently have done so after realizing how great the 991.2 is, no matter what the 992 turns out to be.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:12 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

I would look at RAS and the Front Axle Lift
Old 11-19-2018, 11:30 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Nice build!

Adaptive cruise control is a great option, especially when driving in traffic.

Second the RAS - game changing.

I chose not to get FAL. I only scrape leaving my driveway and if I take it at an angle, it isn’t a problem. I have SPASM, no problems.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:56 AM
hopwood
Racer

Originally Posted by reacher
I also don't like the adaptive cruise control, it adds a pretty ugly wart in the middle of the front bumper.
Good point, anyone have a pic of this?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:01 AM
hopwood
Racer

Originally Posted by lockie
I would look at RAS and the Front Axle Lift
Thanks... RAS is a good shout. Might sound silly but one of the things putting me off RAS is I know of 2 guys in the UK who have had near-catastrophic accidents in their 991s (one a 991.1 RS and one R) who reported very odd driving charactertistics at the limit on bumpy roads, with not particularly excessive speeds. In both cases the cars were destroyed completely. There is some chat about the handling characteristics that RAS introduces at the limit of the suspension and whether that contributed to the accidents.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:39 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I’d do the free leather dash door console trim as it sits now you have espresso/black anodized aluminium/cognac which is a lot going on.

Also, I would kill to get those seats in the US, especially in cognac.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:47 AM
hopwood
Racer

Originally Posted by evilfij
I’d do the free leather dash door console trim as it sits now you have espresso/black anodized aluminium/cognac which is a lot going on.

Also, I would kill to get those seats in the US, especially in cognac.
Good shout, can you point me to it on the configurator? Code or exact text label?

Thanks!

Also a good friend has questioned PDK. I have to say I quite like the idea of a 4 seat Touring 'homage' - manual box and retrofit GT3 wheels with the elephant racing control arms to fix the geo. How cool would that look? Although part of me thinks that the 991 was really designed around PDK and also I've never owned one, and I do have a 993 3.8 RS clubsport in the garage for when I want the "analogue" experience.... all thoughts welcome on manual vs PDK also
Old 11-20-2018, 05:42 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hopwood
Good shout, can you point me to it on the configurator? Code or exact text label?

Thanks!

Also a good friend has questioned PDK. I have to say I quite like the idea of a 4 seat Touring 'homage' - manual box and retrofit GT3 wheels with the elephant racing control arms to fix the geo. How cool would that look? Although part of me thinks that the 991 was really designed around PDK and also I've never owned one, and I do have a 993 3.8 RS clubsport in the garage for when I want the "analogue" experience.... all thoughts welcome on manual vs PDK also

Leather interior package (including door trim strip) Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
£ 0.00

Also the aluminium **** is free on GTS and, in my view, much nicer than standard.

BTW, manual all the way! Plus saves money. . More than enough for leather vents.

I am not sure what elephant racing does for suspension, but the GT3 wheels have different offsets than GTS.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:45 AM
hopwood
Racer

OK

- added that leather option - thanks, looks much better
- added some other fripperies eg smoking, storage net, frunk liner
- removed PDK, added RAS (net cost saving!)
- added roof rack and ski holder!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJHNY3C1

the Elephant racing stuff is here: https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...links-for-991/

Basically gives you an adjustable lower control arm so that you can use a wheel with a different offset but end up with the same geometry. There are threads on RL about it.

Last edited by hopwood; 11-20-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:55 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I edited as you were posting.

Brushed aluminium **** is free on GTS. I’d get that. Much nicer than the regular one.

I think the luggage net looks cheap and may sag over time.

I would also go with steering column rather than steering column in deviated stitching as the stitching reflects in the gauge cluster. And it saves like 80 quid (BTW options are so much less expensive in the UK than US).

I would also consider vents in leather as I think it looks really good in espresso. Spendy, but quite the look.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:02 AM
hopwood
Racer

Clearly a man of taste - thanks for your help :-)

Will keep the thread updated as things transpire

Quick Reply: Mulling over ordering my first new 911 (991.2 GTS)