Sponsored by:

Sport Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:18 AM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Sport Exhaust question

When searching for the right car I find many with Sport Chrono but not Sport Exhaust. I find it confusing that they would spec SC and not PSE. Is it included with any other package and could still be on the car? Thanks,
Old 11-17-2018, 09:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Porsche is pretty al la carte. The PowerKit bundles the PSE with SC, but it's pretty obvious that you'd know that by the cars you're seeing.

The GTS cars also include PSE, and a few other LE runs of the 991.

But again, that would seem pretty obvious in your search.

You could always add PSE to you car (991.1 is easier than the .2) at the dealership for about $4k. Give or take.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Porsche is pretty al la carte. The PowerKit bundles the PSE with SC, but it's pretty obvious that you'd know that by the cars you're seeing.

The GTS cars also include PSE, and a few other LE runs of the 991.

But again, that would seem pretty obvious in your search.

You could always add PSE to you car (991.1 is easier than the .2) at the dealership for about $4k. Give or take.
All good points but to the OP I would say (at least on the 991.1 base) you will likely be at LEAST $4.5 k. Unit itself is $3k from Suncoast (you have to add $450 for a base since the ‘side’ mufflers are different) AND vacuum lines/system wiring will need to be run. I quoted four different shops locally, three said 8 hours install time on base, one tried to get cute and say 12. I would also advise to be careful using an Indy shop on this as some can have trouble programming the addition of new equipment to the car & you will end up having to take it to dealer anyway. Definitely worth it, IMO, good luck! -Dom
Old 11-17-2018, 12:23 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

sport exhaust has nothing to do with performance or hp. just louder noise
Old 11-17-2018, 12:36 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you talking about the .1 or the .2? On the .2 I could not hear much difference inside the cabin b/n the normal and the sport exhaust, so I spec'd SC and not PSE. The difference I did hear was the pops and gurgles. Lots of them on the sports exhaust, but I don't care about those.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

For $4.5k you can add an aftermarket exhaust and pick up a few ponies in addition to the sound improvement.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim991
For $4.5k you can add an aftermarket exhaust and pick up a few ponies in addition to the sound improvement.
And get free; drone, lack of switch-ability, loss of low end torque, poor fit & finish, reduced resale value, CELs and a few other things.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:19 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
And get free; drone, lack of switch-ability, loss of low end torque, poor fit & finish, reduced resale value, CELs and a few other things.
Are you speaking from first hand experience? I have heard complaints about drone with the Fabspeed exhaust but the other issues are new to me.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim991
Are you speaking from first hand experience? I have heard complaints about drone with the Fabspeed exhaust but the other issues are new to me.
Yes, FabSpeed is very good a delivering free drone.

A lot of the other comments I made come from years of reading and speaking to owners. And seeing products at events.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:22 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

OP is facing the same obstacles I did trying to find the right car. There are so many options, buyers have different desires, then you throw in different model years, mileage, who the seller is, and so on.

In the end, I got what I wanted (991.2 before they quit taking orders). It's been two months and will likely take another two before it's delivered. That's the drawback, no instant gratification.

BTW, I ordered the Sport Package on it and got the mechanics I wanted, which includes PSE, enough for me.

I have to agree with LexVan assessment on aftermarket systems, the HP claims are all over the place, also hard to find before and after done scientifically. Many industry people have stated that you lose mid-range response and gain top-end with these systems.

There's no free ride.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:29 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
Are you talking about the .1 or the .2? On the .2 I could not hear much difference inside the cabin b/n the normal and the sport exhaust, so I spec'd SC and not PSE. The difference I did hear was the pops and gurgles. Lots of them on the sports exhaust, but I don't care about those.
My experience is just opposite to your. On my .2 Cab the sound is unreadable compared to a .1. It was even more pronounced now that im driving with the top mostly up. Cabin sounds great with the PSE in sport mode. IMO well search out to adding.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:35 AM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm having trouble finding a car equipped the way I want it. Drove one yesterday for the first time, it would have worked, but no PSE. The dealer said most people around here (old farts like me) don't want it. BTW on friday I found the perfect car, a '17 CPO right color, right options. Was working with the SA for a couple hours on the phone, finally came to an agreement. Told him to write it up and I would give him my card to hold it. He called me back in about 30 minutes and said they just delivered it to it's new owner. Very disappointing.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
I'm having trouble finding a car equipped the way I want it. Drove one yesterday for the first time, it would have worked, but no PSE. The dealer said most people around here (old farts like me) don't want it. BTW on friday I found the perfect car, a '17 CPO right color, right options. Was working with the SA for a couple hours on the phone, finally came to an agreement. Told him to write it up and I would give him my card to hold it. He called me back in about 30 minutes and said they just delivered it to it's new owner. Very disappointing.
Have heard that story before....they simply got a better price for it.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
sport exhaust has nothing to do with performance or hp. just louder noise
I don't find the PSE, at least on my 991.2S, to be much louder than normal even in Sport mode. Big difference is that you get those throttle blips and pops, which are wonderful but again not desperately loud and pretentious/obnoxious like some others, eg the Jag F-type S sports exhaust and God forbid the V8 version saying look/listen to me. However, on my previous 987, 981 and 718 Boxsters with PSE but no Sport Chrono I just got the volume with minimal blips and pops even in Sport mode. Am I right in thinking that the PSE needs Sport Chrono for optimum sound enjoyment or are they mutually exclusive?
Old 11-18-2018, 01:33 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

It would be news to me that the SC adds anything to the sound, I definitely wanted the PSE and not necessarily the SC on a 7M car. However, the Sport Pckg. made sense, and included SC. That's what ended up on the order.

Maybe someone else can clarify any effects.

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust question