Sponsored by:

Clutch sometimes "sticks" at floor

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:37 PM
passion4audio
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP here.

Okay, just received a call from the McKenna Porsche Service Advisor. He said that they were unable to reproduce this (intermittent) problem, however after
researching the bulletins, they are going to go ahead and replace the slave cylinder. Hope this solves the issue.

Thank you (everyone) for your input with this!
Old 05-04-2019, 05:11 AM
passion4audio
Advanced

Default It happened again!

OP here.

Yesterday (May 3) I was driving in moderate traffic and the clutch started feeling "funny". Two shifts later the clutch pedal "disappeared"
and was stuck on the floor. I was able to safely get out of traffic and pull the pedal from the floor to its normal position.

I was close enough to McKenna so carefully drove it to their service department. I told them that this is a big safety issue, and this is the second time its been in.

They said they needed it until this coming Monday or Tuesday. I'll update when I know more.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 05-04-2019, 08:23 AM
jaybo
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear...Highly recommend trying to get it on video from your phone if it were to happen again if circumstances allow... that way there is no need to “reproduce it”. That’s a huge safety issue.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:59 PM
passion4audio
Advanced

OP here.

"Luckily" when i entered McKenna's service driveway, the clutch stuck to the floor. The service manager came out to greet me and I showed him. He took pictures, and called the lead mechanic, who came out and took a long look. They said they'd know more by Monday. I'll post details when I know more.
Old 08-18-2024, 09:24 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by passion4audio
OP here.

"Luckily" when i entered McKenna's service driveway, the clutch stuck to the floor. The service manager came out to greet me and I showed him. He took pictures, and called the lead mechanic, who came out and took a long look. They said they'd know more by Monday. I'll post details when I know more.
Did you every figure this out? My car also does this occasionally

Old 08-18-2024, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine did that (991.1)... I got pissed and replaced everything (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder, fluid, all hardware and rear main seal). After everything was replaced, the car worked perfectly fine.
The flywheel was "ok" but I ended up getting the new one.
Old 08-18-2024, 11:23 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm currently going through the same clutch issues. Indy replaced both master and slave cylinders, but was unable to get it to bleed properly. During test drive, clutch would operate normally for a short period of time, but then go back to the floor.

Car is now at the dealership, and they as well are unable to get a good bleed. I've read where bleeding the slave can sometimes be problematic, and wonder if there is any way to positively determine whether this is a hydraulic/bleed issue or an internal clutch issue.

It's been over three weeks now, and I'd forgotten how much I miss driving the 991.
Old 08-19-2024, 09:35 AM
JimEb
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

If you actually catch this in the act it should be easy to diagnose.

If car is on a lift you can see the slave cylinder to verify it’s function. There’s an open hole on the top of the transmission to stick a bore scope into and actually watch the function of the fork/pressure plate.

When the pedal is stuck on the floor is the clutch engaged or disengaged?
Old 08-19-2024, 11:45 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JimEb
If you actually catch this in the act it should be easy to diagnose.

If car is on a lift you can see the slave cylinder to verify it’s function. There’s an open hole on the top of the transmission to stick a bore scope into and actually watch the function of the fork/pressure plate.

When the pedal is stuck on the floor is the clutch engaged or disengaged?
Thanks - I'll mention the bore scope idea to the tech. When the clutch pedal doesn't return from the floor the clutch is engaged.
Old 08-19-2024, 12:12 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 978 Posts

You clutch slave cylinder is on its way out, or small chance that there is a hydraulic leak.

It's a pretty common issue with Manual Cars, dealer cost was $580 about 6 months ago. Good luck
Old 08-20-2024, 01:43 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
When the clutch pedal doesn't return from the floor the clutch is engaged.
That certainly sounds like a slave cylinder/hydraulic issue in that case. Had the pedal stuck to floor and the clutch disengaged then I’d lean towards pressure plate.

Quick Reply: Clutch sometimes "sticks" at floor