Sponsored by:

2016 GTS/2018GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:11 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
This is all true in your own head. We know this because you've always had a clear bias. Instead of being happy for the guy you come up with this trash of a post. What's wrong with you guy?

In reality what you state is not true. There is a true and clear winner and it's the .2. It's why people like the OP and many others have jumped ship. Clearly he felt a romance with the car and spent the extra cash. Just look at the 991 section.. It's dominated with 991.2 threads. Many of the .1 guys have disappeared or upgraded. The .2 GTS will be known and remembered as the best performer due to it's superior motor. It's the one that hangs with supercars. It's "the one that will respond better to mods" which what most people do when they buy a sports car with a turbo engine.

He just bought a car that's worth triple the price of yours. You own a base 3.4l with 350hp and no torque. The car in question is in a different realm that you haven't seemed to grasp. You should trade up for that BEAST 3.8 that won't even make 430hp in California. The 997 and 996 are also N/A. The only N/A water cooled engines that will hold value are found in the GT3.
Psorcery - Why do you say that the 991.2 GTS is a "superior" motor to the 991.1 GTS? Because it has more horsepower (450 vs 430)? Because it goes from 0-60 a fraction of a second faster?

I agree with K-A that the 991.1 GTS will always have the distinction of being the last and perhaps greatest of the Carrera NA engines. Porsche mastered the NA engine for 50+ years and did not dump it because FI engines are "superior." They did it because of the tightening emissions restrictions in Europe. There is still great interest and affection among Porschefiles for naturally aspirated engines which is one of the reasons why the GT3 and GT3-RS sell like hotcakes, oftentimes with a steep ADM.

Not infrequently, on the GT3 forum, enthusiasts mention how much they would like for the GT division to allow the option to put back seats in the GT3 (or at least the GT3T). Well, K-A, myself and many other 991.1 forum members who have apparently "disappeared" from RL have a high revving water-cooled NA engine with back seats and it is called a 996, 997 or 991.1 Carrera. Some car enthusiasts prefer off the line torque; that is not the NA engine's strong suit. As an NA enthusiast, I enjoy revving the engine to get into its powerband. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
I got a 2018 Silver GTS and Love it! Like many have said is the only negative might be the quieter exhaust, but so be it. Antbody the drives any type of Porsche turbo, has that dilemma.
Congratulations! I just love the shove in the back from my S, so I have to imagine your GTS is even more of a hoot. Very nice choice!
Old 11-14-2018, 11:59 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Sounds can be easily changed but not torque; however, if you like to wind it up you can easily do that in a NA car while still keeping your license.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:41 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
The 2018 991.2 GTS still sounds way better then a TTS.
Why still? It does sounds better than a TTS sure But not to 991.1 GTS NA better... and honestly while driving a TTS you would not care about that
Old 11-15-2018, 09:16 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I wasn’t about to compare the 991.2 GTS to every Porsche in de line-up. ;-)
I was replying to woodranch’s post who stated about the quieter exhaust on the GTS, like on every turbo.

I have driven, although air cooled, a 911 turbo for almost ten years. But to be honest. I don’t daily drive my Porsche’s. And as a weekend / fun car the 991.2 GTS is already plenty if not to fast for most roads and situations. I really won’t be having more fun driving around the Eiffel in a TTS. Maybe if I would daily drive the autobahn. But the TTS remains a fine and impressive car for sure.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:27 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Sounds can be easily changed but not torque; however, if you like to wind it up you can easily do that in a NA car while still keeping your license.
It's just tough to wind up an NA car to get into the power band without looking like a douche. That was my problem with my 991.1 GT3, it just didn't have enough torque down low to be really enjoyable unless I was away from traffic and could rev it out, which is rare here. Thankfully my 991.2 GT3 has a lot more usable torque down low and is still fun without having to flog it.

My 991.2 GTS is fun at any revs and speed because there's torque everywhere.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:24 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
This is all true in your own head. We know this because you've always had a clear bias. Instead of being happy for the guy you come up with this trash of a post. What's wrong with you guy?

In reality what you state is not true. There is a true and clear winner and it's the .2. It's why people like the OP and many others have jumped ship. Clearly he felt a romance with the car and spent the extra cash. Just look at the 991 section.. It's dominated with 991.2 threads. Many of the .1 guys have disappeared or upgraded. The .2 GTS will be known and remembered as the best performer due to it's superior motor. It's the one that hangs with supercars. It's "the one that will respond better to mods" which what most people do when they buy a sports car with a turbo engine.

He just bought a car that's worth triple the price of yours. You own a base 3.4l with 350hp and no torque. The car in question is in a different realm that you haven't seemed to grasp. You should trade up for that BEAST 3.8 that won't even make 430hp in California. The 997 and 996 are also N/A. The only N/A water cooled engines that will hold value are found in the GT3.
Wow, that's a lot of angry turbo-lashing and projecting going on . For the record, I actually didn't know he picked the .2 (or wouldn't have worded my post as I did), I just read the first post and assumed he was still deciding. However, I'll take my base 3.4 with its superior sound, throttle response, and resale value over your car. The slight initial savings are just bonus.

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Psorcery - Why do you say that the 991.2 GTS is a "superior" motor to the 991.1 GTS? Because it has more horsepower (450 vs 430)? Because it goes from 0-60 a fraction of a second faster?

I agree with K-A that the 991.1 GTS will always have the distinction of being the last and perhaps greatest of the Carrera NA engines. Porsche mastered the NA engine for 50+ years and did not dump it because FI engines are "superior." They did it because of the tightening emissions restrictions in Europe. There is still great interest and affection among Porschefiles for naturally aspirated engines which is one of the reasons why the GT3 and GT3-RS sell like hotcakes, oftentimes with a steep ADM.

Not infrequently, on the GT3 forum, enthusiasts mention how much they would like for the GT division to allow the option to put back seats in the GT3 (or at least the GT3T). Well, K-A, myself and many other 991.1 forum members who have apparently "disappeared" from RL have a high revving water-cooled NA engine with back seats and it is called a 996, 997 or 991.1 Carrera. Some car enthusiasts prefer off the line torque; that is not the NA engine's strong suit. As an NA enthusiast, I enjoy revving the engine to get into its powerband. Different strokes for different folks.
His post was based on zero facts and pure emotion. Just lashing out at mine because I worded mine in a way that was assuming O/P hadn't made his decision (I didn't know he already got the .2). IMO, the 9A1's are the biggest masterpiece motors that Porsche has made outside of the GT division. You get sub 4 second 0-60, almost as much HP as the 9A2's, fairly close to the same acceleration, close to the same Ring times, all motor, no F/I, with pure, unobstructed glorious soundtrack. It's written in the stars as legend status.

Originally Posted by reacher
It's just tough to wind up an NA car to get into the power band without looking like a douche. That was my problem with my 991.1 GT3, it just didn't have enough torque down low to be really enjoyable unless I was away from traffic and could rev it out, which is rare here. Thankfully my 991.2 GT3 has a lot more usable torque down low and is still fun without having to flog it.

My 991.2 GTS is fun at any revs and speed because there's torque everywhere.
Disagree. I have no problem getting mine into powerband. The entire fun of it is hearing it wind out (imo it's boring to go fast at low RPM's where an already fairly quiet car has to emit little emotion). To me, the .2 needed to be flogged more to get more "feel" out of it, as the .1 gives more of an auditory sensation while not having to drive as fast. In reality, I think the performance of the two cars in real world scenarios is fairly close. They just deliver their power, much differently, and the soundtrack is also much different. The on-cam pull above 4K with the accompanying sound is the entire reason I stay addicted to driving this car, to be honest.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:48 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I was going to stay out of it; however, I do not think the .1 has superior sound: have you heard a .2 with high-flow cats? Better resale? How is an older car with older tech going to sell for more?! And in regards to getting into the powerband, knock yourself out as I would rather have my torque down low, where I can use it with out revving the hell out of it. Sorry to most of the .1 owners but as I used to tell my Dad when he caught me wacking my little brother, "he started it" Enough said.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:30 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I was going to stay out of it; however, I do not think the .1 has superior sound: have you heard a .2 with high-flow cats? Better resale? How is an older car with older tech going to sell for more?! And in regards to getting into the powerband, knock yourself out as I would rather have my torque down low, where I can use it with out revving the hell out of it. Sorry to most of the .1 owners but as I used to tell my Dad when he caught me wacking my little brother, "he started it" Enough said.
Agree with the high flow cats, torque everywhere, and it still howls when you wind it out. I came from a Boxster RS60 Spyder that was tuned and it was mechanical nirvana and I had similar reservations about the .2 until I drove one. It does need the cats though, otherwise you get too disconnected from the power and speed. NA or with Cats you get an aural feedback to whats going on outside the cabin which is important for cars that go this fast.

As to resale, they are just cars, and you wont know until you get there if they reach the status of the later air cooled.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:08 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

One of the BGB guys demo'd the exhaust sound for me on an '18 GTS with stock headers and PSE. It had the Cargraphic cat pipes on it. It sounded better to me than any NA 991.1 street machine I've heard. Besides brake improvement, the big difference is in torque. Hp is only 4.7% higher but torque is 25% higher. And the torque band is not only high but broad - much stronger than the NA '16 from under 2k all the way to redline. This is why the 991.2 is so much faster. It was clocked at 3.0 seconds 0-60 by one of the magazines. The Porsche factory test team set an' 18 GTS lap time at the 'Ring that was faster than the time they set in the 3.8 L 991 GT3, and it was only 2 seconds slower than the GT3 RS (see my post in 991 Technical Info for comparisons). How/why? 25% higher torque, which is why the' 18 GTS feels like so much more than the '16. Model by model, the 991.2' s feel more like muscle cars compared to the 991.1 models. ' Nuff said.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K-A
In reality, I think the performance of the two cars in real world scenarios is fairly close.
Maybe in an alternate reality, but definitely not in this universe. You can try to convince yourself all you want, but you are deluding yourself. The whole reason you can and HAVE to wring your 3.4l base out without getting in trouble is precisely because it has so much less performance than the newer cars. They are miles apart, and it's OK to prefer one over the other for any reason you want, but let's not ignore facts and reality.

As for sound, I've never been a huge fan of the NA 911 flat six sound. Even my 991.2 GT3 sounds like a sewing machine stock, so the first thing I did was order a new exhaust for it.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16

Well said. I don't plan on "disappearing" any time soon and my .1GTS will not be getting replaced with a turbo engine...any make or model for that matter.
I shouldn't have to add high flow cats or an aftermarket exhaust to make a $100k+ car sound slightly less disappointing.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:49 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bemo
I shouldn't have to add high flow cats or an aftermarket exhaust to make a $100k+ car sound slightly less disappointing.
It's a fact of life with most modern cars. My Huracan sounded boring stock, got an exhaust right away. My 991.1 and 991.2 GT3s also sounded boring stock and needed exhausts. My E92 M3s sounded lame stock and needed exhausts. Just because they're NA doesn't mean they sound great from the factory. Most cars don't.
​​​
Old 11-16-2018, 05:11 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

It's a fact of life with most modern cars. My Huracan sounded boring stock, got an exhaust right away. My 991.1 and 991.2 GT3s also sounded boring stock and needed exhausts. My E92 M3s sounded lame stock and needed exhausts. Just because they're NA doesn't mean they sound great from the factory. Most cars don't.
​​​
I would have never guessed that a Huracan would sound boring with a stock exhaust.
My GTS and E92 both have the factory sports and performance exhausts, respectively. My ears take kindly to stock NA 911s and you're spot on that a stock E92 doesn't have much of a sound. But the induction noise more than makes up for it.
I'm not no fan of the non-GT .2 911 sound and no amount of upgrades will convince me otherwise. The extra torque doesn't impress me either, linear acceleration does. Sorry.
Now for those that like turbos and voted with their wallets I'm happy for you, enjoy your beasts to the fullest. We are fortunate to have options.
Save the rest of the arguments for the local Tesla store...in 20 years! We'll be older and crankier by then and it should make for some nice camaraderie!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:13 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Sound isn’t something that can be inherently “fixed.” Louder isn’t our only complaint. That ghastly Jetsons turbo whistle can’t be silenced either. I don’t want to have to rip the cats out of my modern 911 and turn it into a brain-cell swallowing toxic vessel that pollutes and smells like a 70’s pickup, just for moderately louder sound. I’ve heard a .2 with that setup and imo it still sounded far off a .1 with basic PSE.

And 911’s with less tech ALWAYS do better in resale. The last of the N/A breed renders it a legend in its own right, whether that aligns with your viewpoints or not. And there isn’t any guessing needed. .1’s went UP in value after .2’s came out and have held extremely steady since then. So much so that in many cases, older .1’s are selling for nearly as much, if in even a couple cases even more than equal model .2’s who have been fundamentally depreciating more.

Maybe in an alternate reality, but definitely not in this universe. You can try to convince yourself all you want, but you are deluding yourself. The whole reason you can and HAVE to wring your 3.4l base out without getting in trouble is precisely because it has so much less performance than the newer cars. They are miles apart, and it's OK to prefer one over the other for any reason you want, but let's not ignore facts and reality.

As for sound, I've never been a huge fan of the NA 911 flat six sound. Even my 991.2 GT3 sounds like a sewing machine stock, so the first thing I did was order a new exhaust for it.
Lol. Nah. “Different universes” is a hilarious overstatement. “Different universes” is a .1 vs a 720S. In the real world, and even track, the differences aren’t that massive. And largely overstated by some. 0-60 is about .5 faster on a .2 of equal model. Same as the 1/4 mile. The fastest trap speed I’ve seen from a PDK/S/C hardtop .1 base is 115 MPH. From an equal .2 base? 118 MPH. One magazine tested .1 and .2 vert manuals (on different occasions) and their trap speed difference was 3-4 MPH as well. Faster, yes, but especially in real world conditions, not a “huge” difference.

As for Ring times, the .1 S PDK did a 7:37.9 and the .2 S PDK did a 7:34. A measly 3.9 seconds on that massive track. The same driver in the PDK .2 S did a 7:41 in a .GT4.... manual. Which is slower than a PDK .1 S. Again, not a huge difference.

Quick Reply: 2016 GTS/2018GTS