Sponsored by:

Light Weight Bucket Seats - “After. Action Report”

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 12:34 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
That’s just nonsense. You might not like them but they’re definitely worthwhile in a street car. The key is to drive them for a while and see if they’re right for you. I’ve had 14, 4 and 18 way seats. The LWBS are far better than any of them IMO, and I’m a street driver only.
In my opinion, not in the slightest. if you're running out of support with the 4 ways on the street it's just a matter of time before you get yourself into some trouble. I like LWB's but they're more at home in a track focused GT3 rather than a more street focused T. They're $5200 as well, just not worth it for a street car imo. Feel the same way about PCCB's as well. Many people say that FAL is a waste of money but in my mind you'd get more use out of that option in a street car than these other two.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:45 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
In my opinion, not in the slightest. if you're running out of support with the 4 ways on the street it's just a matter of time before you get yourself into some trouble. I like LWB's but they're more at home in a track focused GT3 rather than a more street focused T. They're $5200 as well, just not worth it for a street car imo. Feel the same way about PCCB's as well. Many people say that FAL is a waste of money but in my mind you'd get more use out of that option in a street car than these other two.
Again just your opinion. For many of us, the firmness of the LWBS is a godsend. I’d get brutal aches after 60-90 minutes in the 4 ways and I recently did a 500 mile day in my LWBS with zero fatigue. Most people sit in LWBS and conclude they suck without ever driving in them. I did the same until I actually drove in them and then my opinion flipped 180 degrees.

And the LWBS aren’t real race seats by any stretch. Anyone who has sat in a true race bucket would immediately know the difference. LWBS are the perfect compromise between a true race seat and a luxury sport seat. Getting in and out is the only minor inconvenience, not the actual driving experience.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Again just your opinion. For many of us, the firmness of the LWBS is a godsend. I’d get brutal aches after 60-90 minutes in the 4 ways and I recently did a 500 mile day in my LWBS with zero fatigue. Most people sit in LWBS and conclude they suck without ever driving in them. I did the same until I actually drove in them and then my opinion flipped 180 degrees.

And the LWBS aren’t real race seats by any stretch. Anyone who has sat in a true race bucket would immediately know the difference. LWBS are the perfect compromise between a true race seat and a luxury sport seat. Getting in and out is the only minor inconvenience, not the actual driving experience.
Again just your opinion. I have experience with these seats. Sure once you're in them, they're perfectly comfortable, but not practical for a street car when you get in/out of the car potentially a few times a day. Doing that day in day out can wear on a guy and may be a potential detriment to the overall satisfaction of the car. But if they make you feel special that's great, they should for $5200.

Having said this, if I had ordered a GT3 I'd order the car with LWB's as they align more with the focus of that model. But then a GT3 wouldn't be my DD either.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:05 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I have 4 ways in my GTS and will have LWB in my soon to be built GT3T. I prefer the LWBs in the GT3. Everything feels just right when I sit in the LWB in the GT3. The posture, the viewing angle, the support. The 4 ways are good seats - relatively well-cushioned and I love the seat heaters and warmers. But I am thin and my butt hurts after extended drives in the GTS. The most time I have spent in a GT3 thus far is 90 minutes so the long drive test is TBD but after 90 minutes of spirited driving in the GT3, my whole body felt right at home. Another bonus for the LWBs is you can swap out the inserts for houndstooth (which I am doing). You can also do this with the 18 ways but not the 4 ways in the GT3. The 18 ways with leather on the back and seat heating actually cost more than the LWBs in the GT3. Slightly cheaper, lighter and more comfortable (for me) - it was an easy decision.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:09 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I love the buckets. Have them in my GT4 and wouldn't do it without them. My 981 GTS had 4 ways and my girlfriends 718 has the 14 way. I really struggle to get comfortable in her car.

Entry and egress are not an issue for me. I use the same technique regardless to lift myself over the bolster.

I can understand why certain body types would dislike them and why some people might struggle with getting in or out of the car though.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:21 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I vote LWB, but the one thing that bothers me most about the T is to get LWB you have to get the steering wheel and gearshift in alcantara which is nearly an extra grand and not to my taste (or likely to last with my sandpaper like hands).
Old 11-09-2018, 01:24 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I have 4 ways in my GTS and will have LWB in my soon to be built GT3T. I prefer the LWBs in the GT3. Everything feels just right when I sit in the LWB in the GT3. The posture, the viewing angle, the support. The 4 ways are good seats - relatively well-cushioned and I love the seat heaters and warmers. But I am thin and my butt hurts after extended drives in the GTS. The most time I have spent in a GT3 thus far is 90 minutes so the long drive test is TBD but after 90 minutes of spirited driving in the GT3, my whole body felt right at home. Another bonus for the LWBs is you can swap out the inserts for houndstooth (which I am doing). You can also do this with the 18 ways but not the 4 ways in the GT3. The 18 ways with leather on the back and seat heating actually cost more than the LWBs in the GT3. Slightly cheaper, lighter and more comfortable (for me) - it was an easy decision.
Just curious how you switch out the inserts for houndstooh.After market?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:30 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Again just your opinion. I have experience with these seats. Sure once you're in them, they're perfectly comfortable, but not practical for a street car when you get in/out of the car potentially a few times a day. Doing that day in day out can wear on a guy and may be a potential detriment to the overall satisfaction of the car. But if they make you feel special that's great, they should for $5200..
Nothing to do with feeling special. Just better seats.

Why but a sports car and put Lexus seats in it?
Old 11-09-2018, 01:46 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Originally Posted by lockie
Just curious how you switch out the inserts for houndstooh.After market?
Yep - If you check out the GT3 forum, there is a lengthy thread about swapping out the factory inserts for houndstooth/pepita. I have not done it yet, but it is a pretty straightforward DIY job. OEM houndstooth inserts are available (discussed in the thread as well).
Old 11-09-2018, 02:19 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Nothing to do with feeling special. Just better seats.

Why but a sports car and put Lexus seats in it?
Glad you're pleased with your seats. Are they 'better' seats? Yeah I suppose they are if better means more lateral support.

To the OP, I was pointing out that LWB's are not as practical for daily use as any of the other seats. Suppose you want to take a client out to lunch and you're in the line of work where you wear dress pants primarily. LWB's are not the best for that. Or perhaps you need to put in a booster seat for a kid, or take your wife out to dinner when she's wearing a skirt and heels. Women don't like to look stupid nor be inconvenienced when getting in or out of a car and she'll never want to ride in it. Or maybe you need a back seat that would be deleted if you ordered LWB's. Maybe you like to have the rear seat backs down for a grocery or luggage shelf. If you order LWB's you can't have that. Cleaning the back windows with fixed seatback LWB's are a PIA as well. You sacrifice daily livability to have LWB's in which you will never use the lateral support LWB's are designed for, on the street. They are imo not the best option, especially when both the 4 and 18 ways are plenty supportive laterally and are more than sporting enough for the street. Nobody says '"jeez these 4-ways just do not provide me with enough lateral support" when they're having fun driving the backroads. Alcantara sucks as well in which Porsche forces the steering wheel and the shifter wrapped in that cheap, poor wearing fabric when you order your car w/ LWB's.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I love the LWBs, which feel very similar to the Sparcos in my track car. The main downside is the lack of good access to the rear storage area. I’m about as graceful as an elephant on ice skates getting in and out. It is what it is.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Alcantara sucks as well in which Porsche forces the steering wheel and the shifter wrapped in that cheap, poor wearing fabric when you order your car w/ LWB's.

I agree, not a fan of Alcantara. I also agree that there are some sacrifices with the LWB, including very limited access to behind the seats. The good news is, in the GT3 Touring, the interior is in leather even with the LWBs. And I have a GTS for when I need back seat access. I want my GT3T to be as distinct from my GTS as possible. Adding LWBs was a big part of that, not to mention I just really like them.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:17 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Had the LWBs in my GT4, not getting them in my GT3. Hard to get in and out of and I'm a wide stance kind of guy and they made my legs crush my nuts.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:33 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Love my LWBS in my T.

Pros for LWBS
  • Solid. (I have grown to dislike the adjustable lumber support in my other cars. Everytime I sit back I feel the thing pop. The LWB are solid.)
  • Sit straight (no slouching, posture is good). These helps for a little more recline https://www.trackspecauto.com/merch/ts001
  • Grippy (fits my body 6'-2", 200 lbs with broad shoulders) for the twistys
  • Have driven 4+ hours no issues
  • Look great
  • Wife is not a fan, hard for her to get out of
  • Feels like a sports car, part of the ethos... I would never buy a P without. GT3/GT3RS/GT4 on my list because of the LWBS
Con's against LWBS
  • Getting in and out, so I've heard... no issue here. As I've said before, if I am not fit / agile / limber enough to have LWBS, I'll sell the P and hit the gym and yoga studio.
  • Just a little more lumbar support might be nice - I might take a look at a small pad under the velcro backs - I'd be very happy if it is solid /fixed.
Agree with two changes above
Old 11-09-2018, 11:35 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Glad you're pleased with your seats. Are they 'better' seats? Yeah I suppose they are if better means more lateral support.

To the OP, I was pointing out that LWB's are not as practical for daily use as any of the other seats. Suppose you want to take a client out to lunch and you're in the line of work where you wear dress pants primarily. LWB's are not the best for that. Or perhaps you need to put in a booster seat for a kid, or take your wife out to dinner when she's wearing a skirt and heels. Women don't like to look stupid nor be inconvenienced when getting in or out of a car and she'll never want to ride in it. Or maybe you need a back seat that would be deleted if you ordered LWB's. Maybe you like to have the rear seat backs down for a grocery or luggage shelf. If you order LWB's you can't have that. Cleaning the back windows with fixed seatback LWB's are a PIA as well. You sacrifice daily livability to have LWB's in which you will never use the lateral support LWB's are designed for, on the street. They are imo not the best option, especially when both the 4 and 18 ways are plenty supportive laterally and are more than sporting enough for the street. Nobody says '"jeez these 4-ways just do not provide me with enough lateral support" when they're having fun driving the backroads. Alcantara sucks as well in which Porsche forces the steering wheel and the shifter wrapped in that cheap, poor wearing fabric when you order your car w/ LWB's.
I know you weren't talking to me and you will likely respond to me in a similar manner, which is fine. My opinion of both LWBs and Alcantara is extremely positive.

The seats are more supportive, are not hard to get in and out of, position you lower in the car, and provide considerably more support - even on the back roads. And I love alcantara.

Your opinion is all you. I respect that.

Quick Reply: Light Weight Bucket Seats - “After. Action Report”