Sponsored by:

Light Weight Bucket Seats - “After. Action Report”

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 12:11 PM
KShep
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Nothing to do with feeling special. Just better seats.

Why but a sports car and put Lexus seats in it?
Having driven a Lexus IS350 for a few years I agree that the Porsche sofas remind me of the Lexus seats. I like for my hinterland to stay in one place whilst I am driving..
One Spyder has LWBs while the other is equipped with full leather sofas.
If it's just me I'm driving the LWB car.
If the SO is coming along it's gotta be the sofas.
I am lucky to have the option of enjoying either one.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

OP, my one piece of advice for you is to actually spend time driving in the LWBS before you decide. Do not just sit in them for 5 minutes in the showroom and make your decision based on that. You have to actually experience them on the road for a bit before you can decide whether they're right for you or not.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:37 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Only if I was tracking 2+ times a month. Why be poser and have LWBS otherwise?
Old 11-10-2018, 02:09 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
More comfortable than other seats for some.

I loved my lotus seats so I got LWB. I seemed to fit fine and getting in and out was easier than my lotus (I am a tall decrepit fat man so if I can do it, anyone else can too). 4 way sport plus and 18 ways we’re close in comfort, the standard 4 way and 14 way I found actively uncomfortable (as I find my 993 seats, but the GTS buckets I tried were too small as were the pole positions and I found the sport seats from 993 era also uncomfortable — need to find some profi XL or fit my passenger side LWB to the 993 ).

Also, if you go 18 way/heated/leather backs they actually cost more than LWB.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:23 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Everyday...and this guy is scrawny:

But they like them because they're so cool.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:26 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

Cyberbug - What makes selecting LWB seats a "poser" move? (It is "poseur" actually, but who needs proper spelling when name calling is involved?!) Do you care to elucidate rather than simply calling many of your fellow RL'er "posers?" Whatever your reasoning for the name calling, call me whatever you want. I hope you enjoy your car seats, whatever they might be.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:37 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Cyberbug - What makes selecting LWB seats a "poser" move? (It is "poseur" actually, but who needs proper spelling when name calling is involved?!) Do you care to elucidate rather than simply calling many of your fellow RL'er "posers?" Whatever your reasoning for the name calling, call me whatever you want. I hope you enjoy your car seats, whatever they might be.
don’t take it so personally, if you want something get them no need to ask others if you ask you will get all kinds of responses some of which you may not like.

bucket seats are designed for track use (period). Thats why they are an option. Many sports cars come with them and no other option.

if tracking the car then you should get them, if you have back issues you may benefit from them. I liked them in my track car. But if not tracking then whats the reason other than you like them but you may not after 6 months.

be sure to get proper harness too.

18-way seats are one of the best as you can adjust shoulders and side bolsters etc.

hey what do I know, people like center lock wheels too, people buy GT3, GT3RS GT2RS and many other super cars for daily drivers, you see a lot of them on the secondary market with few thousand miles only.

i ordered PCCB for daily driver for looks
Old 11-10-2018, 02:42 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Love my LWBS in my T.

Pros for LWBS
  • Solid. (I have grown to dislike the adjustable lumber support in my other cars. Everytime I sit back I feel the thing pop. The LWB are solid.)
  • Sit straight (no slouching, posture is good)
  • Grippy (fits my body 6'-3", 215 lbs with broad shoulders) for the twistys
  • Have driven 4+ hours no issues
  • Look great
  • Wife loves it
  • Feels like a sports car, part of the ethos... I would never buy a P without. GT3/GT3RS/GT4 on my list because of the LWBS
Con's against LWBS
  • Getting in and out, so I've heard... no issue here. As I've said before, if I am not fit / agile / limber enough to have LWBS, I'll sell the P and hit the gym and yoga studio.
  • Just a little more lumbar support might be nice - I might take a look at a small pad under the velcro backs - I'd be very happy if it is solid /fixed.
search around some manufacturers offer lumbar cushion for bucket seats, check RaceTech seats.

https://racetech-usa.com/shop/lumbar-cushion

Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 AM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please get the LWBS! I'm begging you....assuming they aren't super uncomfortable for you.

One of the biggest noticeable differences between my .2GTS and my .2 GT3 is the LWBS. Obviously there are many differences between the two cars but the LWBS really change your driving posture (both physically and mentally). For me the LWBS aren't uncomfortable but I wouldn't call them the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in either. Even that said I'm so happy i decided to go with them. After doing a GT3 experience at PEC LA I was actually on the fence.

Are they harder to get in and out of? Yes
Do you have to be careful to not scrape the bolster? Yes
Are they quite upright and lack adjustment? Yes

Do they completely change the driving experience and put you in a more aggressive body position and mind set? Yes
Do they look freakin awesome? Yes.
Do they make you feel like you are driving something special? Absolutely.

I would go so far as to say of all the ridiculous overpriced options that Porsche offers these days I think the LWBS might actually be the best value and one of the best options they offer. I think it really adds to make the T a special car.

Obviously If you try them and they really don't work for you then please get the 4 ways. It's better that you have a car that you will actually use rather than one that is such a pain that you won't want to drive it and will sell it soon.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 AM
mpwww
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my LWB seats and am very glad I specified the T w/ them. I am 6'2" and 180 and I put the seat back to get in/out. It is not a slide in experience. They are really comfortable driving, but I would not want to be constantly getting in and out of them. If you're using your car as an errand runner I would think hard about them.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:36 AM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

search around some manufacturers offer lumbar cushion for bucket seats, check RaceTech seats.
Hey, thanks, Cyberbug. (And, hope your car makes it here soon.)
Old 11-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

Hey, thanks, Cyberbug. (And, hope your car makes it here soon.)
np, I had racetech Carbon/Kevlar seats and the lumbar support was a must.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:30 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

don’t take it so personally, if you want something get them no need to ask others if you ask you will get all kinds of responses some of which you may not like.

bucket seats are designed for track use (period).
Total nonsense. They’re for keeping you securely in place iin sporty driving situations, wherever you are, and they do that way better than sofas in spirited street riding. If you don’t mind constantly moving around or having to brace your body whenever you’re railing down a curvy road, then by all means the sofas are the right seats for you. I didn’t care for that much. Nor the fatigue I would get from it.

I did 200 miles in my LWBS today in the mountains and they were freaking awesome. Feels like a proper sports car with them versus my last Spyder with the 18 ways. And when I get out I have zero fatigue or back pain.

OP, if you spec LWBS and hate them, you’d probably have no trouble finding someone willing to swap seats and give you way more than the $5,200 you paid for them.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:37 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

Archimedes - Thank you, yes, totally agree. Next time I’m in Nor Cal, I’ll hit you up and we can go for a spin, enjoying our buckets off the track.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:19 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

LWBS is the best decision of my car.

Much more comfortable and solid than GTS package seats with superior support during sport driving.

I will never spec LWBS if my car was daily driven but for weekend occasionally driving car it's a must.

They give me huge motivation to keep fit and my weight controlled.

You can sell very easy LWBs in future and install 4 ways and make some money.

Quick Reply: Light Weight Bucket Seats - “After. Action Report”