Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kline Header Review. 991.2 GTS, Dyno Charts, Photos, Videos..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 09:41 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 630 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Kline Header Review. 991.2 GTS, Dyno Charts, Photos, Videos..

After careful consideration and many hours of comparisons between all available vendors, I decided to install a set of Kline zirconium coated headers on my 991.2 Targa GTS.

I would like to thank Felix at Kline as well as Sam at By Design for not only shipping quickly (4 days from Romania), but offering me a full refund for anything I purchased that I was unhappy with. We had email, text and phone conversations about what I wanted to accomplish, my budget and the pros and cons of changing specific parts. I also purchased a complete Kline exhaust that will be reviewed and dyno tested in the very near future, but for now this thread is specifically devoted to the headers.

Full Disclosure: I was given a standard Rennlist member discount and received neither free parts nor any financial compensation for this review.

Kline is a Romanian based Company that has been in business for as long as I can remember, certainly for over a decade. They specifically make exhaust parts for high end cars like Porsche, Mclaren, Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc. They offer these parts in all sort of exotic materials like Inconel, Titanium, Carbon Fiber and 304 Stainless Steel. As far as I know, this is all they do.. exhausts and headers is all they make and they call themselves the “Exhaust Boutique.”

I decided to go with everything 304 stainless steel. I am not tracking the car, I don’t care about the weight savings and the minimal (if any) performance gains from the exotic materials was certainly not worth the premium for me. The prices for the Inconel, Titianium and Carbon Fiber systems were easily DOUBLE the price as the Stainless and these parts aren’t cheap in Stainless Steel to begin with.

Let me start with the dyno test and photos of the car BEFORE the headers were installed. The car has a COBB Stage 1 tune as well as the Soul 200 cats which I already reviewed and LOVE. The only other aftermarket part is the BMC Air Filter. Running pump 93 octane here in CT.

Dyno testing was done at “The Shop” which is a high performance shop in Norwalk, CT with an All Wheel Mustang Dyno. For those unaware, Mustang Dynos read 15-17% lower than Dynojets so the numbers on the chart need to be adjusted UPWARD by 15-17% to be in line with Dynojet Dyno charts. Big thanks to Jimmy (The owner) who took special care of my car and did multiple runs. He is in the process of moving to a brand new, state of the art facility and things were hectic, but he managed to get some great numbers and explained everything to me step by step. If you are looking for a really top dyno shop, check him out..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L6xpxuyHm1s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The car produced 461hp and 436ft/torque. Using a 15% compensation, that’s 530hp and 501 torque. I was very impressed with the numbers I saw and was actually a little surprised with the power with only a mild Stage 1 tune and no real performance parts aside from the Soul Cats.

On to the headers themselves..

Last edited by PTS-BRG; 11-02-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:49 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

The headers I purchased were made of 304 Stainless Steel that were 2 stage zirconium coated to keep the heat within the headers. This coating is similar, but not exactly the same as the swain tech coating used by other manufacturers. I will let Sam or Felix chime in on the differences and advantages, but I think it is proprietary and is plasma applied. The pipes themselves have a sandpaper like surface and each one has its own serial numbered plate that I obscured for this review.

Construction was excellent. I took photos of the insides of both ends of the headers, but its not an easy pic to take and requires bright light. I did my best

Also, some comparison pics of the stock header and Kline header.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:58 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Finally, we have the installation. Tommy at P1 Motorcars in Stamford is just an insanely great mechanic and he's the only one I let touch the car. He said the installation wasn't so bad, but that a couple of the header bolts had to be removed and then reinstalled to get the headers off and the new ones installed. The drivers side especially was more difficult. Not a big deal, I was charged for 2 hours of work and that was fine by me.

I would like to point out that the design of the Klines DO NOT sit below the rear cross member of the car. They are protected by the cross member and cannot catch on anything. They do sit lower than the factory headers, but this is to be expected as the design of all aftermarket headers are different than the factory headers. Three pipes need to be bended so, they will all sit at different lengths.

Its like a work of art to me

The final sound was very similar to the before to my ears. I was expecting it to be louder or have a much different sound. There was a change and it was certainly for the better. The header change created a deeper and more naturally aspirated sound. Less turbo like which most feel is a great thing. It wasn't much louder at all but, to repeat what I Said in the Soul Cat review.. once you change out the factory cats the sound is drastically louder and extremely apparent to even novice ears. With the headers it was much less noticeable and overall more pleasant sounding, less harsh and less Japanese Fast and furious like some of the turbos sound. I like!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xWOMYGn3Y2c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by PTS-BRG; 11-02-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:02 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 792 Posts

I love your targa. Thank you for sharing. i had very similiar results with my gts with kline headers and a stage 1 tune on a mustang dyno.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 PM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the comprehensive write-up. I have my full Kline Inconel system (headers, 200 cell cats, exhaust) currently on their way to me, and together with basic666 will be doing a head-to-head "headers-only" dyno comparison with our otherwise bone-stock GTS's.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:15 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

So I assume that was a before dyno and that you will be doing an after dyno on the stage 1 tune.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:45 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

The dyno test for the Kline Headers will be done this Tuesday, so expect to see what the gains are Tuesday. Just couldn't get the dyno and mechanic on the same page as both are super busy and wanted to get this review up with pics to get the ball rolling and maybe create a little hype. The exhaust will go on late Tuesday (I Hope) and the final dyno test will be done when stage 2 is released with pro tuning to get everything optimized. I did this in this order ONLY to see how the headers perform compared to other manufacturers claims and compared to a baseline reading on my car for the forum to see.

I will say that the straw that made me change the headers was actually the reports on the new 992. Porsche has squeezed more HP out of the same motor, in part by changing the headers.
If Porsche has established that a new header design can improve the HP then they are indirectly admitting it isnt the greatest design to begin with.

Without seeing any head to head dyno numbers, I would be willing to bet that all of the aftermarket headers improve on the stock headers and that overall they will produce similar results.
I made my decision to go Kline in part because they are the only ones that have a complete setup designed specifically for the 991.2 No other vendor has headers, cats and exhaust so this was a factor.
When a company makes each component and they are designed to work together then it is more like a factory system. Using a cat from here, a header from there and an exhaust from a third manufacturer seemed less than ideal, but that doesn't mean you can't get better or similar results doing it that way. I will say again I LOVE my Soul cats and will be sadly selling them as soon as the Kline system is installed as the Kline requires their own cats.

Not to beat a dead horse, but since this is a new thread based just on headers (and its my thread) the other factors that lead me to selecting Kline:

1. Ease of purchase and return policy by Sam at By Design/Kline and knowing if the headers are not what I want that he would take them back.
2. Price was somewhat of a factor. Kline prices were in line with nearly all of the other manufacturers and I felt thats what headers "should" cost in SS. Any more or less was a red flag to me.
3. Design. I was not willing to risk having my header snag something backing up or moving forward. I needed to know it was protected by the rear cross beam. The Kline's tuck up nicely and are protected.
4. The Company and History. Kline has been doing this for 10 years. They are established and well respected. Never heard a horror story about them yet and they manufacture for the highest performing cars in the world .
5 Transparency. They don't make any claims they wont back up. Kline never told me the headers will make ?? HP. Kline urged me to test them. They asked me to please post the results. They WANTED the information made public. No smoke and mirrors, I respect a company that is willing to stand behind their product and is confident in what the results will be.

All of these factors gave me the confidence I needed to move forward. The final piece of the puzzle will be revealed Tuesday when we all see how the headers perform on the same car, in the same location and on the same dyno. The only thing that changed will have been the header...
Old 11-02-2018, 11:14 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
All of these factors gave me the confidence I needed to move forward. The final piece of the puzzle will be revealed Tuesday when we all see how the headers perform on the same car, in the same location and on the same dyno. The only thing that changed will have been the header...
Great.... maybe also do a run with the cobb running back with the stock tune ( for the non cobbers?)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Subscribed. Hopefully its the same temp. Good luck. Im calling 15 ponies over 5550rpm.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Subscribed. Hopefully its the same temp. Good luck. Im calling 15 ponies over 5550rpm.
With the stock tune I would agree. With the Cobb stage 1, might be nothing ( until they do the stage 2).
Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 961 Likes on 586 Posts

Thank you so much for the kind words my friend. We really appreciate you putting up this review as part of the community. I’ve been seeing a lot of chatter and truly feel that real life genuine reports are the best thing to share. We have seen some interesting comments and threads regarding exhaust manifolds to say the least. After shipping several systems, testing and speaking with clients we are extremely confident that you’re going to enjoy the system and the more time you spend the more it will bring you value and excitement! You’re exactly right we feel that the design brings a refined sound which is smoother and more exotic, more response and of course some power. Again some clams are quite interesting but I think most of us understand what’s realistic and what actually is possible. We really appreciate working with you and we are very excited about entire Porsche line! Reviews like this are what we feel is the best way to share with the community and bring good conversations with substance for everyone to share. Enjoy the car and I’m here for you anything you need through the entire process. Again, our guarantee comes from our confidence and our appreciation for the entire community. If anyone needs anything at all or has any questions at all please feel free to reach out! Enjoy Eric and can’t wait to see your results!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 11-03-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice setup! Digging the targa and man those soul cats look awfully tempting.

I would like to dig into the "whole set" concept a bit more. Is there any scientific reasoning / facts besides more of a feel good factor?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:38 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
Nice setup! Digging the targa and man those soul cats look awfully tempting.

I would like to dig into the "whole set" concept a bit more. Is there any scientific reasoning / facts besides more of a feel good factor?
More power. Stock cats are very restrictive.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:39 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
More power. Stock cats are very restrictive.
I meant getting everything from the same brand, vs say, pairing headers from one company and cats from another and exhaust from another.

to quote PTS

When a company makes each component and they are designed to work together then it is more like a factory system.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:52 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I cannot attest to their being any scientific reasoning, but I can give you my thought process on it..

When a header manufacturer (for example) designs a header, they do so around the factory parts. It is optimized based on the other parts in the car which will all be oem factory parts.
They cannot make the part optimized for another manufactures cats or exhaust because they dont know if the customer buying their header will have one of the other manufacturers cats or exhaust.
If they could design their part to perform better based on the other parts performing better, then the whole system should perform better because each piece is designed and optimized based on the other parts.

Now you can bet that the people making headers, cats and exhausts will most likely tell you that this isnt the case, I believe the reason they will dispute this is that not a single one of them sells all of the parts (cats/header/exhaust) so they have to. ONLY Kline sells it all. Now that being said, if you dont plan on doing the entire system by Kline then you are no worse off going one part at a time and picking the one you like best, or performs best or costs the least. But, from a purely design perspective, the Kline was designed to work hand in hand with the other Kline parts so I am expecting a refined and perfectly fitting system.

Quick Reply: Kline Header Review. 991.2 GTS, Dyno Charts, Photos, Videos..